2 browsers not working solved

No 1 Firefox will not open
No 2 Chromium opens but as soon as I start typing in the seach bar it shuts down runs away goes back in its burrow does anyone know why

We are ready to help you, but you will have to come to us with more information e.g. output from the command line, system informations or similar. No offense but this is a waste of time and does not help anyone.

We are ready to help you, but you will have to come to us with more information e.g. output from the command line, system informations or similar. No offense but this is a waste of time and does not help anyone.
you are right it is a waste of time and bandwidth downloading browsers that dont work this os is freebsd 12.1 with kdeplama5 desktop
$ firefox
ld-elf.so.1: /usr/local/lib/libpangoft2-1.0.so.0: Undefined symbol "FcWeightF
romOpenTypeDouble"

$ chromium
/bin/sh: chromium: not found
I dont kmow about not found it is installed I installed it from ports

heres a screenshot of chromium

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200906_053952.png
    Screenshot_20200906_053952.png
    135 KB · Views: 121
you are right it is a waste of time and bandwidth downloading browsers that dont work this os is freebsd 12.1 with kdeplama5 desktop
$ firefox
ld-elf.so.1: /usr/local/lib/libpangoft2-1.0.so.0: Undefined symbol "FcWeightF
romOpenTypeDouble"

I guess you customized the build settings while installing the port? To me it seems like a library (libfontconfig) was built without a set of functionality that libpangoft expects to be there.

I guess you customized the build settings while installing the port? To me it seems like a library (libfontconfig) was built without a set of functionality that libpangoft expects to be there.
I didnt customize anything

I didnt customize anything

I see. Side note: If you don't want to adjust options you could as well just install packages and save the time compiling as the outcome will be the same. In any case you somehow managed to end up with a version of libfontconfig that's missing functionality required by libpangoft.

What version of FreeBSD are you running? I am not sure if you have already stated this in your other threads.

Edit: I've just build libpangoft on a fairly vanilla 12.1 release system using default options and there is no FcWeightFromOpenTypeDouble import in libpangoft. Only one for FcWeightFromOpenType which is what libfontconfig actually exports. That raises a couple of questions about what you are building there...

OK, if stating the version you are running is asking to much i figure you don't need any further help. Fact is you have an incompatible set of libraries on your system that does not seem to exist in a vanilla 12.1 release version. How you managed to get those i can only guess (mixing ports and packages, mixing port versions, running something unsupported, an actual bug, ...) but i am positive you will sort things out on your own.

I see. Side note: If you don't want to adjust options you could as well just install packages and save the time compiling as the outcome will be the same. [..] That raises a couple of questions about what you are building there...
Only if built in a clean jail(8) (via poudriere(8) or synth(1))... And I suspect a newbie would just build make install clean inside the ports tree, which is not clearly documented as asking for trouble in the Handbook...
rbrick49, for the time beeing, please strongly consider to go with pre-built packages supplied via pkg(7). While you explore & learn the OS, you can set up one of the mentioned poudriere/synth to build a few selected ports with different knobs applied (hint: devel/ccache).
Concerning www/chromium, there have been build failures in the recent past. Also have a look at the alternative www/iridium.

Only if built in a clean jail(8) (via poudriere(8) or synth(1))... And I suspect a newbie would just build make install clean inside the ports tree, which is not clearly documented as asking for trouble in the Handbook...
rbrick49, for the time beeing, please strongly consider to go with pre-built packages supplied via pkg(7). While you explore & learn the OS, you can set up one of the mentioned poudriere/synth to build a few selected ports with different knobs applied (hint: devel/ccache).
Concerning www/chromium, there have been build failures in the recent past. Also have a look at the alternative www/iridium.
ok will look at it later thanks for the info

any idea why chromium is not in the pkg repository since end of August? do the maintainers have problems with the new version/building ... just out of curiosity

any idea why chromium is not in the pkg repository since end of August? do the maintainers have problems with the new version/building ... just out of curiosity

If you are in need of the package try the quarterly repository, same version, pkg add after download:

fetch https://pkg.freebsd.org/FreeBSD:12:amd64/quarterly/All/chromium-84.0.4147.135.txz

Back