Solved 13.0-BETA3 Guest on Virtualbox host - Mounting shared folder reboots VM

I have a FreeBSD-13.0-BETA3 virtualbox VM on a Windows 10 host. Every time I try to mount a shared folder, the virtual machine reboots. The VirtualBox host is version 6.1.16 r140961. I have installed emulators/virtualbox-ose-additions from packages and have compiled it from ports, with no success. I also have a 12.2-RELEASE VM on the same host that mounts the shared folder without issues with the same configuration and using the same steps.

On this VM, I manually load /boot/modules/vboxvfs.ko, then run mount_vboxvfs -w, at which point it reboots.

If I'm missing something, I can't figure it out. If it is a bug, what's the best way for me to report it on the FreeBSD bugzilla? I've never reported a bug there before. I have searched, and nothing is reported that matches this issue.

Edit: I might add that I can find no errors in any logs, so if you can point me where or how I could find those (if it exists) that would help too.

As it's a kernel module rebooting typically happens when the module doesn't match up with the kernel. But you also built it from ports, which would always make it "line up". So that's not the issue here. It's therefor likely you ran into a bug.

If it is a bug, what's the best way for me to report it on the FreeBSD bugzilla? I've never reported a bug there before.
It's not that difficult. Just state what you said here, you built it from ports and when you use it it reboots the machine. Provide the versions of the port and the version of the OS. If the maintainer wants more information they'll ask for it. Give them enough information so they can reproduce the issue. Reproducing the issue doesn't sound too difficult in this case (bugs that only happen sometimes are a lot more difficult to track down).

Hi. I'm having the exact same issue on FreeBSD-13.0-BETA4, also virtualbox VM on a Windows 10 host. Virtualbox version 6.1.18 r142142.
I installed emulators/virtualbox-ose-additions from packages. Created a read-only shared folder through the Virtualbox interface as per usual.
Now running sudo mount_vboxvfs myshare /mnt instantly resets the VM.
I added vboxvfs_enable="YES" to /boot/loader.conf, but no effect.

Hi. I'm having the exact same issue on FreeBSD-13.0-BETA4, also virtualbox VM on a Windows 10 host. Virtualbox version 6.1.18 r142142.
I installed emulators/virtualbox-ose-additions from packages. Created a read-only shared folder through the Virtualbox interface as per usual.
Now running sudo mount_vboxvfs myshare /mnt instantly resets the VM.
I added vboxvfs_enable="YES" to /boot/loader.conf, but no effect.
Could you add a "me too" to the PR SirDice linked too? That way the developers would see more people having the issue than just me. I've already updated the bug to "affects some people"
Thanks for linking that here. That's my submission

Good evening, I'm experiencing exactly same issue (Freebsd13 guest, Windows 10 host, VirtualBox 6.1.18) and understood there is a solution by applying a patch as described on this PR 253934 link . Unfortunately I cannot exactly catch how to proceed, being much away from a good FreeBSD knowledge.
I ask here if someone could kindly help in make me in understand how to fix this bug.
Thank you

Thank you, this patch resolves the problem. Having to install the 6.1 additions required a change in video device from VMSVGA to VBOXSVGA, then it all is working as I need!

Hi, the virtualbox-ose-additions package upgrade solution has well worked in my VirtualBox 6.1.18 Windows hosted, but the issue is still there in the Ubuntu hosted VirtualBox, same version and VBOXSVGA setted. As every setting appears to be equivalent on the two VBox installations both in Win and Ubuntu, could the point be referred to some permissions settings in the Ubuntu hosting machine?
Thank you

I have exactly the same problem:
Host linux (Slackware-current)
Host VirtualBox version from 6.1.18 to 6.1.22
client
FreeBSD 12.x - FreeBSD-13.0 (worked with FreeBSD-11.x)
I tried FreeBSD with UFS2 and ZFS.
I can mount and list shared disk but any attempt to copy/move or just access anything beyond / results in system reboot.

Back