Solved 12.x to 13.0 update: 13.0 should boot straight into KDE but stops at "login:" in terminal

Yeeha! How did we go from I can't login to - running FreeBSD as a workstation is a losing battle :). Ridiculous and overblown. I run FreeBSD as a desktop and can't complain. I'm having some trouble with KDE/sddm/whoknowswhat at the moment, but I'm sure it'll work out. Upgrading without problems? Wholly unlikely given the number of interdepencies in a typical workstation environment. Sheesh, calm down. Heck, I've probably run more than half of the OSes and flavors in existence (well, several hundreds anyway) and FreeBSD is better than the vast majority in terms of stability and predictability. I tried 13.0 knowing full well that it was a point zero release. Usually, I just wait to .1. It'll all be fine... I'm sure :)

The "D" in the name historically stands for "Distribution."
So… does your understanding of what a "distro" is apply to FreeBSD? If not, your "I'm right, you're wrong, and I want to win that discussion" isn't helpful for anyone. Face it, you meant (and named!) "distro" in a Linux way (distro = base + apps), and that's FreeBSD not.

What you're missing (operating system handled by the package system, too) is one of the plus points for others (but I got the feeling you'll never discover the "why"). That's OK, just use an operating system that fits your needs and approaches :)

Zirias, I am not able to understand your attitude, which seems to be misplaced on users-to-users help forums. If you can’t or don’t want-to help, then what are you still doing here?

BTW, in the meantime, quite the same issue has been reported by decuser: https://forums.freebsd.org/threads/kde-login-hangs-with-circle-stopping-on-freebsd-13.79825/

So, do you own a system running sddm and KDE5? If yes, then tell us at least, what your experience was, after upgrading it to FreeBSD 13.0. In case no, stop repelling new users, from asking valid questions.

Remember: „Stupid questions do not exist, there are only stupid answers.“
They're just doing what every FreeBSD community (here, Reddit, Telegram, etc.) does when anyone dares suggest that the status quo might not actually be the best way forward for them or for the project. The answer to that is always no. FreeBSD's culture does not countenance external input or criticism, even if it comes in the form of code (yes, I've spoken with developers who've jumped in the deep end and added working code, only to have their merge requests (possible wrong terminology) ignored or rejected.) It's par for the course.

The only reason I posted here was to see if there was something I was missing. Once I realized my problem is pretty much How Things Are™, I decided to not waste any effort trying to change that.

Yeeha! How did we go from I can't login to - running FreeBSD as a workstation is a losing battle :). Ridiculous and overblown. I run FreeBSD as a desktop and can't complain. I'm having some trouble with KDE/sddm/whoknowswhat at the moment, but I'm sure it'll work out. Upgrading without problems? Wholly unlikely given the number of interdepencies in a typical workstation environment. Sheesh, calm down. Heck, I've probably run more than half of the OSes and flavors in existence (well, several hundreds anyway) and FreeBSD is better than the vast majority in terms of stability and predictability. I tried 13.0 knowing full well that it was a point zero release. Usually, I just wait to .1. It'll all be fine... I'm sure :)
You're willing to put up with the problems. I'm not because OSes/distributions/<insert preferred terminology> that do what I want without those problems exist. I'm not evangelizing my decision; I'm just describing how I arrived at it.

So… does your understanding of what a "distro" is apply to FreeBSD? If not, your "I'm right, you're wrong, and I want to win that discussion" isn't helpful for anyone. Face it, you meant (and named!) "distro" in a Linux way (distro = base + apps), and that's FreeBSD not.

What you're missing (operating system handled by the package system, too) is one of the plus points for others (but I got the feeling you'll never discover the "why"). That's OK, just use an operating system that fits your needs and approaches :)
Your OS vs. distro semantics argument solved my problem! My DE works now, thanks so much! /s

… quite the same issue …
Entirely different:
  • login: prompt without sddm
  • use of sddm followed by failure to present the desktop environment.
… Keep your eye on helloSystem…
There'll be much to love, however (off topic) the non-configurability of helloSystem is a polar opposite to KDE.

… to see if there was something I was missing …

There might, additionally, be a bug in KDE that can be exposed by (for example) an upgrade to FreeBSD.

Peace

And here we go again. The next whining+rage about "BuT I WaNT fReEBSd bE lIKE [insert random desktop linux distro here]!!!!11"

And the answer from most users will still be: NO!. If you want "desktop Linux", use "desktop Linux" (whatever this means for you).
And no, this has nothing to do with not wanting to improve. FreeBSD 13 improved a ton of things, they will all be discussed, and you'll find a lot of people in favor of all this.

Building a FreeBSD desktop is for those who understand (or, want to learn) how such a desktop works (on a building-blocks level). This has invaluable benefits: I'd rather analyze why an X server doesn't want to start than hunt down whatever automagic trickery some upgrade tool (probably partially) did to the system and find a way out of the horror when that magic fails. Nobody has to agree to that, but still you have to accept the fact this is how FreeBSD is designed, and users of FreeBSD want it that way.

BTW, this "bug report" is pure comedy.

You're willing to put up with the problems. I'm not because OSes/distributions/<insert preferred terminology> that do what I want without those problems exist. I'm not evangelizing my decision; I'm just describing how I arrived at it.

This is surely trolling. I've experienced similar issues with every OS/distribution/<insert preferred terminology> that I've ever used... and I've used a lot of them including roll your owns and build from source systems. I recently had issues with KDE on OpenSUSE, XFCE on MX, KDE again on Ubuntu, Cinnamon on Mint, Whatevertheheck on Windows 10, etc., sure I worked through them but they were pretty frustrating and seemingly insurmountable at the time. That said, whatever floats your boat.

My experience with FreeBSD has been one that is punctuated by the solidity of its core. Uptime on my scm manager hosted git repo is in hundreds of days, often - could be more, but I choose to reboot every now and then. No matter how many different times I try it on Mint, Ubuntu, or even Debian, I can't get it to stay up a month. Now, I can live with a desktop glitch, but it drives me loony tunes when a service goes on the fritz :).

Just for those wondering, I did an extra test on a test desktop system and had no issues going from 12.2 to 13.0. I was dropped into the CLI instead of sddm after FreeBSD 13.0 kernel was installed, but before packages were upgraded, which is normal since the GPU driver wasn't updated before packages were upgraded.

Back