12.0 release freebsd-update fetch problem

When I perform freebsd-update fetch as root on version 12 I am umable to get a login prompt. Though I realize there are no updates yet, shouldn't I be able to Ctrl-c or something to get to a prompt and type in freebsd-update install? Has something changed with this version?

Login prompt? I assume you meant shell prompt?

freebsd-update is a mere shell script to control-c should be honored though it also depends on how your shell environment was set up and what programs were being executed. The delay could be caused by other issues like a timeout for example.

Hello,
I do not know if I am right but I think he refers to this error, if you try to freebsd-update fetch you get an infinite loop. If you try control-c to "terminate" nothing happens. I am getting the same issue on one of my servers.

Screenshot_20181217_130032.png

Regards,

I do not know if I am right but I think he refers to this error, if you try to freebsd-update fetch you get an infinite loop. If you try control-c to "terminate" nothing happens.

You should be able to escape it with the :q key combo. I got the same error running freebsd-update fetch but never waited for it to go to the "skipping" part.

I am able to escape using :q. Just thought I'd ask since it never happened with earlier versions I used. Is this loop an error or due to some change? It's no longer a problem since I can escape with :q as Trihexagonal stated.

The default pager was changed from more(1) to less(1) in 12.0. From /usr/src/UPDATING:

Code:
20180808:                                                                                            
         The default pager for most commands has been changed to "less".  To                          
         restore the old behavior, set PAGER="more" and MANPAGER="more -s" in                          
         your environment.

With more if you reached the end you just pressed a key and it continued. With less you have to press q.

Back