11.2-RELEASE boot -> bootpool/boot issues

So I need to manually compile and install a few kernel modules and also manually load them via loader.conf. But when I want to install them, I get:
Code:
[root@xxx 1:33pm] /usr/src/sys/modules/mlx4/>make install
install -T release -o root -g wheel -m 555   mlx4.ko /boot/modules/
install: /boot/modules/: No such file or directory
*** Error code 71

Stop.
make: stopped in /usr/src/sys/modules/mlx4

I then manually create /bootpool/boot/modules and install the modules. All good so far.

Now I want to load them via loader.conf so I create the file and add the necessary parts. Problem is, it's ignored and the modules don't get loaded.

What change am I missing here?

PS: this is a fresh 11.2-RELEASE install.

So I need to manually compile and install a few kernel modules and also manually load them via loader.conf.
Why? Everything is already built. Even stuff that's not in the kernel config will get built as a module. As a matter of fact, everything is built as a module. The kernel config only collects everything and links them together.

Why? Everything is already built.
WHAT?!?!?!?
please explain then where I can find the .ko file for the mlx4 kernel module.

Even stuff that's not in the kernel config will get built as a module. As a matter of fact, everything is built as a module. The kernel config only collects everything and links them together.
Am I missing something here? I didn't mention a kernel config file and I'm NOT recompiling the whole kernel; I don't see any point in doing so.

WHAT?!?!?!?
please explain then where I can find the .ko file for the mlx4 kernel module.
A buildkernel builds everything, including devices you didn't put in the kernel config.

Code:
dice@armitage:~ % ll /boot/kernel/mlx*
-r-xr-xr-x  2 root  wheel   67456 Jul  7 20:14 /boot/kernel/mlx.ko*
-r-xr-xr-x  2 root  wheel  467424 Jul  7 20:14 /boot/kernel/mlx4.ko*
-r-xr-xr-x  2 root  wheel  180568 Jul  7 20:14 /boot/kernel/mlx4en.ko*
-r-xr-xr-x  2 root  wheel  432616 Jul  7 20:14 /boot/kernel/mlx5.ko*
-r-xr-xr-x  2 root  wheel  175800 Jul  7 20:14 /boot/kernel/mlx5en.ko*
The mlx device is typically already built into GENERIC, but it's still available as a module.

Code:
dice@armitage:~ % uname -a
FreeBSD armitage.sirdice.nl 11.2-RELEASE-p3 FreeBSD 11.2-RELEASE-p3 #0: Thu Sep  6 07:14:16 UTC 2018     root@amd64-builder.daemonology.net:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC  amd64

(note to self, need to update this machine)

Dude, I did not mention rebuilding the whole kernel :D I do not want to do that. I just need a handful of modules that I load at boot.

Back to the point now. Sadly mlx4 is not included in GENERIC so yeah, there's that. But to my initial question, something changed between 11.1-RELEASE and 11.2-RELEASE regarding the loader.conf. Do we need to do create zfs boot env's now or something? I mean, I'm very surprised that 1) loader.conf doesn't exist anymore and 2) it's ignored if I create it manually.

Sadly mlx4 is not included in GENERIC so yeah, there's that.
Again, this doesn't matter. It's a module, it always is, regardless if it's included in the kernel or not.

But to my initial question, something changed between 11.1-RELEASE and 11.2-RELEASE regarding the loader.conf.
Negative. It's still the same process as it was on FreeBSD 3.0.

loader.conf doesn't exist anymore
The file doesn't exist by default. It never did.

ok so let me rephrase: I create loader.conf, compile and install a module from /usr/src, reboot the machine and see no module loaded.

It should be right here:
Code:
root@armitage:~ # ll /boot/kernel/mlx4*
-r-xr-xr-x  2 root  wheel  467424 Jul  7 20:14 /boot/kernel/mlx4.ko*
-r-xr-xr-x  2 root  wheel  180568 Jul  7 20:14 /boot/kernel/mlx4en.ko*

Code:
[root@xxx 3:11pm] ~/>ls -lahd /boot
lrwxr-xr-x  1 root  wheel    13B Jun 22 07:37 /boot -> bootpool/boot
[root@xxx 3:11pm] ~/>ls -lahd /bootpool/
drwxr-xr-x  2 root  wheel     2B Oct  2 13:38 /bootpool/
[root@xxx 3:11pm] ~/>ls -lahd /bootpool/boot
ls: /bootpool/boot: No such file or directory

All kernel modules are in /boot/kernel/. At least the ones from FreeBSD itself. Additional kernel modules can be installed through ports but are saved in a different location. There's no need to specifically build or install any module from FreeBSD, it's all there already.

so again, can you please tell me where I can find the mlx4en pre-compiled module?

It looks like you have an encrypted root with a separate ZFS boot pool, but the bootpool filesystem is not mounted. Try zfs mount bootpool? Otherwise use zfs/zpool to diagnose where it has gone.

Back