Solved 10.0-BETA3 displays info for the "rm" when booting [SOLVED]

When my 10.0-BETA3 system boots, I see the following when the system is almost fully up.
Code:
Starting default moused.
Starting background file system checks in 60 seconds.
usage: rm [-f | -i] [-dIPRrvWx] file ...
       unlink file

How do I determine what's trying to use rm incorrectly and fix it?

Thanks! :D

Re: 10.0-BETA3 displays info for the "rm" when booting

Look at /etc/rc.conf, /etc/rc.local or any of the scripts in /usr/local/etc/rc.d/.

Running rcorder /etc/rc.d/* /usr/local/etc/rc.d/* shows the order in which the rc scripts run. On mine it shows that bgfsck is the last thing to run which means this likely comes from something else which runs after all the rc scripts.

SirDice said:
Look at /etc/rc.conf, /etc/rc.local or any of the scripts in /usr/local/etc/rc.d/.

I commented out the entire /etc/rc.conf and rebooted it. It still happened. /etc/rc.local doesn't exist on my system. Any other ideas?

xtaz said:
Running rcorder /etc/rc.d/* /usr/local/etc/rc.d/* shows the order in which the rc scripts run. On mine it shows that bgfsck is the last thing to run which means this likely comes from something else which runs after all the rc scripts.

/etc/rc.d/bgfsck is the last file listed by rcorder on my system also. What can it be then?

Try booting with
Code:
rc_debug="YES"
in /etc/rc.conf. Maybe that will give some extra information where the rm may be.

SirDice said:
Try booting with
Code:
rc_debug="YES"
in /etc/rc.conf. Maybe that will give some extra information where the rm may be.

Thanks but no Dice, Sir! ;)

Code:
/etc/rc: DEBUG: checkyesno: gptboot_enable is set to YES.
/etc/rc: DEBUG: run_rc_command: doit: gptboot_report
/etc/rc: DEBUG: run_rc_command: doit: geli2_start
/etc/rc: DEBUG: checkyesno: ftpd_enable is set to NO.
/etc/rc: DEBUG: checkyesno: ftpproxy_enable is set to NO.
/etc/rc: DEBUG: checkyesno: bsnmpd_enable is set to NO.
/etc/rc: DEBUG: checkyesno: background_fsck is set to YES.
/etc/rc: DEBUG: run_rc_command: doit: bgfsck_start
/etc/rc: DEBUG: checkyesno: rc_startmsgs is set to YES.
Starting background file system checks in 60 seconds.
usage: rm [-f | -i] [-dIPRrvWx] file ...
       unlink file

For what it's worth, if I recall, the issue only surfaced after the upgrade from 10.0-BETA2 to 10.0-BETA3. I upgraded to 10.0-BETA4 the other day but that didn't resolve the problem.

The "problem" didn't go away with the upgrade to 10.0-RC1 (RELENG branch). I was hoping it might.

How did you do the upgrade? By source? If you did use the source did you run mergemaster(8) afterwards?

SirDice said:
How did you do the upgrade? By source? If you did use the source did you run mergemaster(8) afterwards?

I ran it after the upgrade to BETA3 but not after the upgrade to RC1. I just ran it and that fixed the issue. Thank you, Sir...Dice! :D

Back