AMD GPU driver has a serious bug introduced in 14.1

I ran 14.0 happily for many months on my AMD-based primary machine. It was absolutely reliable. After "upgrading"(?!) to 14.1, I am seeing one or two full system crashes/week. The crashes are clearly correlated with mouse events. Someone else has filed a bug report pointing the finger at the AMD GPU driver and I think he's right. I'm mentioning this here hoping it will help to get the attention of someone who can address this.problem, which is a show-stopper for me (I'm restoring my Clonezilla backup of the previous NixOS install as we speak).

I'm mentioning this here hoping it will help to get the attention of someone who can address this.problem
The best place for that is bugtracker where you already found the bug report. This is a user support forum, there are very few developers here.

I understand that. I already added a comment about what I've been seeing to the bug report.

But I would hope that the developers pay at least a bit of attention to what users are saying, in addition to the bug reports. Sometimes feedback that doesn't rise to the level of a bug can still be useful to developers intent on making the system better.

Sometimes feedback that doesn't rise to the level of a bug can still be useful to developers intent on making the system better.
That's why developers are also on the various mailing lists.

Someone else has filed a bug report pointing the finger at the AMD GPU driver
Can you give us the link, thank you.

... is a show-stopper for me
If it was working okay for you before the upgrade then you are probably in the same situation described in the following thread:

Long story short: just build the necessary ports, that's what I do.
Hope that helps, good luck.

Can you give us the link, thank you.

If it was working okay for you before the upgrade then you are probably in the same situation described in the following thread:

Long story short: just build the necessary ports, that's what I do.
Hope that helps, good luck.

Everything is working fine to me. In FreeBSD 14.1-p2 I use an AMD gpu and I use SDDM as login manager. . I compiled the ports and FreeBSD.

What AMD Radeon graphics card are you having issues with?
I have had major issues with kmod-515-drm driver after upgrading to FreeBSD 14.0 (worked fine with 13.x).
There is a known issue with the kmod-515-drm driver with certain Radeon cards such as the 6750XT and 5500XT (like mine) where the driver would cause hardware resets due to various conditions (https://github.com/freebsd/drm-kmod/issues/263). Down grading to kmod-510-drm (compiling from ports) or later upgrading to kmod-61-drm driver (again compiling from ports) did resolve the issues for me.

Please try compiling from ports either the kmod-510-drm or kmod-61-drm driver from ports. You will need the FreeBSD 14.x (/usr/src) sources as well as the ports tree (/usr/ports), checkout the FreeBSD handbook on freebsd.org website (it is quite helpful!).
1. Pull the sources for FreeBSD (FreeBSD chapter 26.6) and the ports tree (FreeBSD chapter 4.5) via Git (can install Git using pkg).
2. Use pkg to uninstall the existing drivers - do not reboot.
3. Compile the kmod-510-drm (usr/ports/graphics/drm-510-kmod) or kmod-61-drm (/usr/ports/graphics/drm-61-kmod) driver by using 'make install' inside the directory for the choosen driver (needs to be compilied using root or sudo).
4. Reboot (no need to change the rc.conf, the various drivers use the same config).

Try that, hopefully it will resolve your issues.

I've also been encountering amd driver issues after upgrading to 14.1. I have 5 machines all with the A12-9800E APU. The graphics driver throws a fit 100% of the time after sddm hands off to KDE5 (x11) when autologin is enabled. If I don't have it do autologin, then it loads into KDE fine. Also since updating to 14.1 the display will no longer "wake back up" after the screen turns off from being idle. As is, i've had to disable autologin and display sleep. Would very much like to see this fixed.

I wanted to try installing the 6.1 driver, but when installing FreeBSD I did not include the source components, which is apparently necessary to be able to build that driver from ports. Including steps I used to install src components post install below in case anyone else finds it useful

Code:
curl -o ~/src.txz ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/releases/amd64/amd64/14.1-RELEASE/src.txz
tar -C / -xvf ~/src.txz
freebsd-update fetch
freebsd-update install

Switching from drm-515-kmod (which is installed by default when using recommended drm-kmod metaport), to drm-61-kmod from ports resolved both my issues. Thank you very much for the recommendation kjsweeney

It's more convenient to use git, which will in a single command fetch and extract up-to-date source code:
# git clone --branch releng/14.1 https://git.freebsd.org/src.git /usr/src

what are the odds of them getting drm-61-kmod added to the pkg repository sometime soon? Will be a real pain having to build that driver every time i setup one of these machines.

It should land in the pkg repository in about three weeks. 14.0-RELEASE will reach EoL on September 30 and packages will then be built on 14.1-RELEASE.

It's more convenient to use git, which will in a single command fetch and extract up-to-date source code:
# git clone --branch releng/14.1 https://git.freebsd.org/src.git /usr/src

Alternatively (for AMD64):

pkg add https://pkg.freebsd.org/FreeBSD:14:amd64/base_release_1/FreeBSD-src-sys-14.1p4.pkg

There's also the FreeBSD-src package, however IIRC that's more than is required.

Can you describe the symptom?

with autologin enabled on v515 It would display the KDE loading screen then when it got to point that it would display the normal desktop it would instead go black for a couple seconds then come back up with moving color static all over the screen.

with monitor power down on v515 it didn't do the crazy static stuff all over screen, but instead just stayed all black.

No need. Reuse the one package that was produced by the first build.
That's not something I was aware could be done when building from the ports tree. Does it create an actual pkg file I can transfer to the other machines?

Does it create an actual pkg file I can transfer to the other machines?
It doesn't automatically create one when you build and install a port, but you can easily make one:

Running # make package in a port directory creates a .pkg file that you'll then find in the subdirectory work/pkg/.

Even handier, if a port is installed, you can create a package of it anywhere with $ pkg create.

I had crashes and other weird errors on 14.1 until I built and installed graphics/drm-61-kmod port. I have Radeon RX 6600 card.
I think this is relevant comment in this thread - after upgrading to 14.1, one needs to upgrade the kernel module to
graphics/drm-61-kmod. Personally, I did this immediately after the upgrade and did not actually try to experiment with the old drm version after kernel upgrade. Everything works perfectly on two machines having RX 550 and RX 570 cards installed.

… looking forward to 15.0-RELEASE …

For newcomers who are doing no more than dipping their toes in the water to tell whether FreeBSD will be compatible, I'm inclined to make FreeBSD-CURRENT one of three recommended systems.

The complications with STABLE and RELEASE are too frequent. CURRENT is simpler.

As advised by others in this thread, I have tried to upgrade to graphics/drm-61-kmod by building from ports. After installing and rebooting, no graphics device is found, so I can't run Wayland, as I do with 515.

But the full system crashes with 515 still persist, seemingly a bug in the driver. I just had one, which resulted in dumping me into single user mode to run fsck, because there were soft update errors in the root file-system (I note that OpenBSD has removed support for soft updates; too many problems; one would think that after all these years, the bugs would have been found and fixed). I ran fsck and was presented with a huge number of unreferenced files and the request to clear (yn). After typing y<enter> countless times, I finally gave up and rebooted the system, which noted that the root filesystem was still dirty, ran fsck and automatically cleared the remaining unreferenced files. The system is up, but chrome complained that my preferences file was corrupted.

I'm sorry, but this is simply not acceptable with Linux or OpenBSD available as more reliable alternatives and I'm going to switch. I need to spend my time doing my work, not dealing with problems caused by bugs in components as fundamental as the graphics driver and the file-system. I also just submitted a bug report that describes an apparent problem in the USB support causing USB devices to be, in effect, umounted on waking from use of zzz.

I am attaching a dmesg in hopes that will help whoever maintains drm-xx-kmod to figure out why 61 does not work with my system.

Attachments

• dmesg.txt
    15.3 KB · Views: 31
As advised by others in this thread, I have tried to upgrade to graphics/drm-61-kmod by building from ports. After installing and rebooting, no graphics device is found, so I can't run Wayland, as I do with 515.

But the full system crashes with 515 still persist, seemingly a bug in the driver. I just had one, which resulted in dumping me into single user mode to run fsck, because there were soft update errors in the root file-system (I note that OpenBSD has removed support for soft updates; too many problems; one would think that after all these years, the bugs would have been found and fixed). I ran fsck and was presented with a huge number of unreferenced files and the request to clear (yn). After typing y<enter> countless times, I finally gave up and rebooted the system, which noted that the root filesystem was still dirty, ran fsck and automatically cleared the remaining unreferenced files. The system is up, but chrome complained that my preferences file was corrupted.

I'm sorry, but this is simply not acceptable with Linux or OpenBSD available as more reliable alternatives and I'm going to switch. I need to spend my time doing my work, not dealing with problems caused by bugs in components as fundamental as the graphics driver and the file-system. I also just submitted a bug report that describes an apparent problem in the USB support causing USB devices to be, in effect, umounted on waking from use of zzz.

I am attaching a dmesg in hopes that will help whoever maintains drm-xx-kmod to figure out why 61 does not work with my system.
I should add that I got forced into single-user mode upon rebooting from the crash. I didn't make that clear in the message above.

I really hope these problems get addressed soon, because on balance, I much prefer running FreeBSD.

Back