Solved KMS does not load

Thanks to Beeblebrox's reply, I got the idea of trying FreeBSD 11 and everything worked fine! Thank you all for your help! :D
Good news! :)

P.S: How should I mark this thread? I didn't face the problem, I just tried something else.
Feel free to simply edit the title of your initial post by prefacing it with [SOLVED]. Or use the drop-down, if it's available.

HTH

--Chris

There is a Thread Tools dropdown at the top of a thread. Select Edit Thread from that menu and choose the Solved prefix in the Title.

Hello everyone, I'm bringing up the subject because I want to post a recent solution I've found:

I managed to enable 3D acceleration using an entry from the Handbook, which says how to configure Xorg properly. What I actually did was just to enable Dbus and Hald services before typing Xorg -configure, add Load "dri" in xorg.conf.new and finally rename and move it into /etc/X11/ directory. This worked in 9.3 and 10.1 versions equally.

Again, thanks to all who offered to help me.

Jo20, please stop using Xorg -configure. It produces configuration files with lots of redundant, obsolete noise. Instead, try to run X without any xorg.conf at all. Most of the time, it works, and autoconfigures correctly.

If xorg.conf is needed, it is best to put it in /usr/local/etc/X11/xorg.conf. See hier(7).

But everything works after I used it: All the modules which are needed now get loaded with a single file. Also, I wouldn't say that it's "noise" since all these are done with few commands.

I think what wblock@ means by "noise" here, is that most the stanzas in xorg.conf(5) are unnecessary; as Xorg, w/o xorg.conf(5), just "does the right thing". So most, if not all of xorg.conf(5), is "noise" (see; unnecessary). :)

But, for the record; I too use Xorg -configure. Mostly, because 1) I use the nVidia blob, and 2) old habits die hard. ;)

--Chris

By "noise", I mean that hard-coding the defaults is a disadvantage. If they change, the configuration file does not. It is better to make only the non-default settings in xorg.conf, and leave as much as possible to autoconfiguration.

I think what wblock@ means by "noise" here, is that most the stanzas in xorg.conf(5) are unnecessary; as Xorg, w/o xorg.conf(5), just "does the right thing".
--Chris
I am using a non-US keyboard and if I try that, I am left with the wrong layout. Or has anything changed lately? wblock@, hard coding the defaults sure is a disadvantage, if the defaults make problems for a lot (maybe the majority) of users.

For the keyboard I use x11/setxkbmap in my ~/.xinitrc. It needs an additional port, but on the other hand I am not "surprised" when the syntax of the X configuration changes. I am not sure what is the best practice. The good thing is that we have all the options to choose from :).

Sorry, it's been a long time since I last visited the forums and I didn't saw the replies.
You are right, xorg.conf makes the system less flexible, but in my case a "hard-coded" Xorg is what I need. Other users may use a different method that fits their needs, though.

Back