Poll: what fs do you use on your portable HD

I'm am now entering the commands to format my portable HD in ext4. What fs do you use on your portable HD's (non-usb "sticks").

The choices are:
1) Ext2, and or its relatives
2) UFS, and its relatives
3) cdiso9960
4) vfat
5) exfat
6) other

Depends on the size. For smaller drives, I like FAT16/32 for cross-platform goodness. On larger drives, EXT3/UFS/FFS/NTFS depending on the OS it is used on.

@lockfile

I have a 1TB 2.5 WD Passport drive and use FAT32 there, same for pendrives (4-8-16GB size). I sync it by rsync(1) to update backup. Also ext2 with inode size (-I 128) should be a good idea, there are some tools to make it mount on Windows systems. Other filesystems are not very smart choives for truly portable drive, NTFS would have 'write' problems on Mac OSX (at least with default installation), UFS problem on Windows and older Linux'es and Mac OSX.

Instead of ext4 I went with ext3. I have been using Linux since 2004 and exclusively for the past 2. I did it mostly for backup reasons. My external had NTFS on it and it requires plenty of command-fu and knowledge of FUSE. So I just said screw it and went with ext3 something I use on a regular basis. I needed to backup quick and didn't want to spend time reading up on FUSE docs to get my stuff done. I still have a thumbdrive 8G that is FAT32.

I'm on Penguin now getting ready for the transition to FreeBSD 8.1. Ext3 holds its own against NTFS. NTFS is so proprietary that its undocumented!

UFS+J on my 16G flash [or sometimes even zfs]
UFS+U sometime UFS+J on other flash media
msdosfs if I need portability [in rare cases]

linux and freebsd fs interworx

What FS is recommended for penguin and bsd filesystem interworking. I already know about vfat/msdosfs/FAT32. Are there any other options?

lockfile said:
What FS is recommended for penguin and bsd filesystem interworking. I already know about vfat/msdosfs/FAT32. Are there any other options?

cd9660 (aka isofs), udf

:D
They are also portable

Ext2/3 but only because I formatted it on Arch Linux back when I still had it. Read and write access do work just have to fsck it if its not shutdown properly which sometimes can be annoying. I have considered switching it to UFS2 and I would except that I would have to move 200GB of data around.

UFS > EXT[234] for Unix-like OS data portability

Yea. I think I'll go with UFS (BSD flavor) for my portable drives. Fast, stable fs, and Linux can read it just fine.

aragon said:
Huh? Ext2!

Then again, linux can read BSD labels and UFS file systems. Write to them too IIRC...

Back