Firefox sound turns on and off on FreeBSD14

Sound would turn on and off, and at times, only play in one Firefox window and not others. One time, sound from Firefox randomly came on. This is on FreeBSD 14.0 with firefox-120.0,2.

Sometimes, restarting the PC wouldn't fix it, and killing dbus also killed the firefox process. For those wondering, I tried the configuration options in about:config in the address bar, but didn't see any of sndiod, cubeb or pulse (pulseaudio) which could be changed.

Restarting sndiod(8) worked: service sndiod restart. For consistency, I'm unable to tell what the behavior will be and if that will continue to work. Seems good that this default package of Firefox is running on sndiod compiled in.

To let you know, this didn't have to do with mute on the newer implementation of mixer(8). Toggling mute will show the status of mute on the command line: mixer vol.mute=^. This mute status doesn't show in audio/osdmixer, as it only displays mute when the volume is reduced to 0 regardless of the status of that newer mute function. The audio can be tested with other applications.

Hopefully, this helps a few FreeBSD users with their audio working inconsistently on Firefox. As long as I can get the sound to work. Also, is there anything needed for a more consistent fix, preferably continuing with sndio?

I dont use firefox mainly currently but i got the same issue.

When playing something i get:

Code:
[Child 33733, MediaDecoderStateMachine #1] WARNING: 21cff0842e00 OpenCubeb() failed to init cubeb: file /wrkdirs/usr/ports/www/firefox/work/firefox-120.0/dom/media/AudioStream.cpp:279
[Child 33733, MediaDecoderStateMachine #1] WARNING: Decoder=21cff08f1100 [OnMediaSinkAudioError]: file /wrkdirs/usr/ports/www/firefox/work/firefox-120.0/dom/media/MediaDecoderStateMachine.cpp:4650
[Child 33733, MediaDecoderStateMachine #1] WARNING: Decoder=21cff08f1100 Decode error: NS_ERROR_DOM_MEDIA_MEDIASINK_ERR (0x806e000b) - OnMediaSinkAudioError: file /wrkdirs/usr/ports/www/firefox/work/firefox-120.0/dom/media/MediaDecoderStateMachineBase.cpp:166

Back