Can't remove log device from raidz pool

1. I had a two pools (Pool1 & Pool2) created on FreeBSD 8.2 with pool version 15.
  2. I added an SSD for ZIL to both (two partitions on one ssd device).
  3. I wanted to remove the SSD, so I upgraded to FreeBSD 9.0, then to zpool version 28
  4. I removed the zfs log device from Pool1, it was successful, the device not shown in zpool status after the remove (zfs remove Pool1 log1)
  5. I fired the command to remove the second log (zfs remove Pool2 log2) which retuned like everthying ok, but zpool status showed a log device still on Pool2.
  6. I tried to export/import, not helped
  7. I needed the SSD at other place so I down the system, then removed
  8. After restart the Pool1 was ok, Pool2 showed degraded as log2 was UNAVAIL, I tried to remove again, no success
  9. To go back normal operation I created a file on /usr mount (UFS) and replaced the missing log to this device, only for be my Pool2 ONLINE

Any suggestion?
(I don't have another 5x2TB discs to create a new pool and migrate data, which are snapshot backups of a different server)

Any help aapprepriciated

Yes! I did upgrade both zpool to ZFS pool version v28 and also upgraded all zfs filesystems to ZFS filesystem version v5.

Same thing happening here. The command completes without any error/warning, but the last log device is still there. I've tried offlining it first, it just makes the pool degraded.

Luckily for me I'm decommissioning that pool. I will remember to be careful when adding log devices, as it seems they can't be removed.

Using FreeBSD 8.3-RELEASE, imported the pool from Solaris 10u8 (zpool v15, ZFS v4), upgraded to zpool v28 / ZFS v5.

Back