Solved no applicable sound driver

What you yinz make of this?

lspci entries:
Code:
00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 631xESB/632xESB High Definition Audio Controller (rev 09)
08:00.1 Audio device: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] Ellesmere HDMI Audio [Radeon RX 470/480 / 570/580/590]

dmesg pcm lines:
Code:
pcm0: <ATI R6xx (HDMI)> at nid 3 on hdaa0
pcm1: <ATI R6xx (HDMI)> at nid 5 on hdaa0
pcm2: <ATI R6xx (HDMI)> at nid 7 on hdaa0
pcm3: <ATI R6xx (HDMI)> at nid 9 on hdaa0
pcm4: <ATI R6xx (HDMI)> at nid 11 on hdaa0
pcm5: <ATI R6xx (HDMI)> at nid 13 on hdaa0
pcm6: <Realtek ALC883 (Rear Analog 7.1/2.0)> at nid 20,22,21,23 and 24,26 on hdaa1
pcm7: <Realtek ALC883 (Front Analog)> at nid 27 and 25 on hdaa1
/dev/sndstat is empty!

I tried manually loading the hd4 and ac97 sound drivers thru the rc.conf kld_list but no joy. Am I to assume that the sound hardware has no available driver under FreeBSD?

I'm really only interested in the pcm6 pcm7 channels that I think are on the ESB. I can live without HDMI sound.

/dev/sndstat is empty!
It should not be empty even if there are no drivers attached, i.e.
Code:
$ cat /dev/sndstat
No devices installed.
No devices installed from userspace.
I tried manually loading the hd4 and ac97 sound drivers thru the rc.conf kld_list but no joy.
snd_hda is in generic, and clearly it's attaching to your device as you have hdaa0 and hdaa1.

If there are no errors around the pcm lines you pasted (paste full dmesg?), then everything should be in place.

What is the real problem here, no sound output?

confusion is that "more /dev/sndstat" doesn't show anything but "cat /dev/sndstat" does...so I missed the content. Also, not used to /dev files that are not persistent. expected /dev/dsp to be created and available as a consequence of loading the driver, rather than "created on demand", which seems quite counterintuitive but I understand now. Other weirdness is that I'd expect the snd_hda driver to show up in the kldstat output, but it doesn't.

Am heading to the console now to verify basic sound output using sox. will folllow up in a few.

Back