Amazon Corretto Java Development Kit alternative to openjdk

I quote

Amazon Corretto is a no-cost, multiplatform, production-ready distribution of the Open Java Development Kit (OpenJDK). Corretto comes with long-term support that will include performance enhancements and security fixes.

I wrote to them to check if FreeBSD port is under consideration.

They replied that its not but the sources can be compiled easily for BSD or FreeBSD.

Is it possible to do so?

Can Amazon Corretto be made available as standard java jdk on FREEBSD?

They replied that its not but the sources can be compiled easily for BSD or FreeBSD.

Is it possible to do so?
If it's possible to be compiled, and it actually works[*], then it's always possible to create a port for it. It simply requires someone to put in the effort to create the port for it and keep it maintained. You don't need to be a FreeBSD 'developer' or have any kind of status, anyone can submit a port.

[*] The code compiling properly is no guarantee it actually works without problems. I can write code that compiles just fine but crashes as soon as you start it.

How is it better than the mainline Openjdk distribution that's already available on Freebsd?
Does it need to be better? I think adding an alternative is a good thing. Does need to be maintained though, there's already enough unmaintained "better" alternatives going stale.

Would the Linux Corretto run on FreeBSD using Linux Binary Compatibility? Would there be a performance hit?

How is it better than the mainline Openjdk distribution that's already available on Freebsd?
By default, OpenJDK projects do not have a formal LTS strategy for any release.

Whereas,

Amazon Corretto is a no-cost, multiplatform, production-ready distribution of the Open Java Development Kit (OpenJDK). Corretto comes with long-term support that will include performance enhancements and security fixes.

I think its self explanatory.

Yup, no technical difference whatsoever. Amazon just re-packages the unmodified Openjdk source and calls it "Correto".

The existing Openjdk port should be easy to modify to build Correto, then.
... with long-term support that will include performance enhancements and security fixes.

Is that repackaging and renaming?

Is that repackaging and renaming?
Yes. I see no indication that the "performance enhancements and security fixes" won't come from the Openjdk project. This is just a way to keep zombie enterprisy software that only works on Java 8 working.

Back