Fyi, four languages without a maintainer/port

There are 4 languages without a maintainer/port
1.wren
2.haxe
3.janet
4.squirrel
[What these languages are good for is another issue]

What is needed is a program that watches the original source sites for various ports and when there are updated sources, it tries to update a port using the existing port and stashes results in somewhere. Such changes often quite trivial so it makes sense to automate at least the grunge work. Over time it can be taught more tricks.

What is needed is a program that watches the original source sites for various ports and when there are updated sources, it tries to update a port using the existing port and stashes results in somewhere. Such changes often quite trivial so it makes sense to automate at least the grunge work.
There's a few things that don't get updated, because they're forgotten about. We don't notice it until someone looks into it, and before that, it was assumed it's the latest and greatest in the Portstree.

Another one, would be an upgrade of the Portstree framework, where lld(1) is used to determine which library files are called on, and there's a list of dependencies in and which FreeBSD ports have those library files. So, that it can also be overridden or a particular version can be set. There's somewhat of one, but it's not automatic in such a way and it's basic.

Maybe also, other features, which aren't part of the Portstree framework, but are commonly ran on it less often than packages are built, or suggested for use to be ran on the portstree, such as checking headers and debugging tools, such as devel/deheader, devel/valgrind or devel/include-what-you-use. This may help BSDify software, to get rid of header includes in sourcecode which were left in, but the previous code that has once called on those headers has been otherwise cleaned up. Improvements that those bring about can be suggested for upstream from here, or if they don't want to do that, it can be forked.

What is needed is a program that watches the original source sites for various ports and when there are updated sources, it tries to update a port using the existing port and stashes results in somewhere.
The first part exists, it's called portscout. Updates are mailed to the maintainers (or to the ports mailing list for ports that don't have a maintainer).

The second part isn't worth the effort, I don't have statistics, but in my personal experience, the majority of port upgrades aren't "trivial" (only change the version variable an regenerate distinfo). And even those that are must be tested anyways.

The above count is for 'quarterly', this is based on 'latest':
Code:
root@fbsd-test:~ # pkg rquery -e "%m == 'ports@FreeBSD.org'" %o | wc -l

Jokings aside games/xlennart is unmaintained.
Now to be honest the porters-handbook is above my head.
Maybe i just lack the necessary skills.
Or i have a reading problem.
Or i do not put enough effort.
But if you could improve the readability of the porters-handbook, as to explenation of the freebsd tooling, ie decrease the learning curve, maybe there would be more maintainers, no ? Or am i wrong?

In my experience, the porters handbook is perfectly readable, IMHO an example for good documentation.

It does presume some experience with building software and all the build systems around (especially classic make of course). This is always necessary for any packaging work, no matter for which OS. But you can get that experience by just starting to work on ports...

I'll save you the trouble of reporting 'unmaintained' ports: Thread adopt-an-orphaned-port-project.36243

Code:
root@fbsd-test:~ # pkg rquery -e "%m == 'ports@FreeBSD.org'" %o | wc -l
Another valuable pointer; thanks SirDice.

Adopting or creating a port is a different experience. It feels like those days I built an extension on Firefox. Then the next, next and I can go on and on.

My first port was committed two days ago (don't ask me its name yet). Two other (dependent) ports are being reviewed and should be committed in days. And the most difficult one is being thought of now. Some monies may be committed to it.

I don't want to nag, but sometimes i want to build a freebsd-port, ie. some github clone with some of my own patches for myself alone to work on my own pc. This is a first step in 'growing'.
As i use poudriere as building system i have even problems with this.

Alain De Vos No offsense - this is a serious question: Could you explain what your intention behind a post like this is?
and a poor answer:

It was just something that came into my mind.
Do we really deserve it to spend our time on such threads?

Alain De Vos you wrote this under name "devosalain":

What were your intentions there? What did you make out of the answer you got there?

Do we really deserve it to spend our time on such threads?
Was this a question ?
[Note this post was first under Off-topic but it got moved ]

What did you make out of the answer you got there?
Offcourse i tried it but failed.

To find unmaintained ports, I do psearch -m ports@freebsd.org. There could be something I'm missing, but that's most of it AFAIK.

Back