Xfce How to turn off the power saving option on xfce4.

Hello.

I'm running xfce4 and I have some problem with the power management. I have also installed mate and kde5. Below you can see what are the errors shown when I invoke some of the power manager applications that I have installed :

Code:
# mate-power-manager

(mate-power-manager:8936): PowerManager-
WARNING **: 11:12:26.273: Did not receive a reply.
Possible causes include: the remote application
did not send a reply, the message bus security
policy blocked the reply, the reply timeout expired,
or the network connection was broken.

(mate-power-manager:8936): PowerManager
-ERROR **: 11:12:26.273: This program cannot start
until you start the dbus session service.
This is usually started automatically in X or mate
startup when you start a new session.
Trace/BPT trap (core dumped)

# xfce-power-manager

xfce4-power-manager : xfce4-power-manager unable to
get connection to the message bus session

Error creating proxy: The connection is closed
(g-io-error-quark, 18)

(xfce4-power-manager:8966): xfce4-power-manager
-ERROR **: 11:14:29.046: The connection is closed:
Trace/BPT trap

As you can see,the dbus daemon is running :

# sudo service dbus start

dbus already running?  (pid=3999).

and on /etc/rc.conf I have enabled these relevant entries :

hald_enable="YES"

dbus_enable="YES"

this is a serious problem because when one or both monitors are turned off (I'm using a Dual monitor with one NVidia GPU),all the icons on the desktop and the background images applied are broken and when I move a window from a screen to another one I see that it will not be of the same size of the screen anymore. I presume that if I turn off a monitor physically,it will be turned off also virtually. And when I turn it on again,it remains turned off virtually. So,the solution that I'm thinking is to keep the monitors turned on and turns them off when I want,physically.

I have a second monitor connected to my laptop with a nvidia GPU if I turn off the external monitor all the icons and panel go to the laptop screen.

The behavior of the monitors is handled by the display settings, you can save your default configuration and automatically recalling it when any secondary monitor is detected.

Thanks. it worked. I have also a couple of problems to fix :

1) the problems explained in this thread,related to the fact that xfce4-power-manager and mate-power-manager don't work

2) when my PC starts,the first monitor to be turned on is the Samsung,the oldest one. It is connected to the 1060 via HDMI. When I will write "startx",also the AOC monitor will be turned on. It is connected to the 1060 via DisplayPort. On the BIOS I have configured the 1060 as primary gpu to use when the PC is turned on. I would like to know why the HDMI monitor turns on before the DisplayPort. And If I can change this order.

Cannot help with Mate, but the way you run Xfce can affect xfce4-power-management, how do you launch Xfce4?

I don't have an answer to your second question, I can just guessing that the HDMI port is waiting for the audio before to be triggered therefore the dport start earlier, I would recommend to let the nvidia-driver to handle the monitors rather than the bios...

I don't have an answer to your second question, I can just guessing that the HDMI port is waiting for the audio before to be triggered therefore the dport start earlier, I

---> Cannot help with Mate, but the way you run Xfce can affect xfce4-power-management, how do you launch Xfce4?

writing : xfce-power-manager on the konsole or navigating in the proper xfce4 panel

----> would recommend to let the nvidia-driver to handle the monitors rather than the bios...

I have to make a choice on the Bios. I can choose between to boot the PC via Intel gpu or PCI 1 or 2 or 3 slot. And only PCI 1 slot works. I have chosen PCI 1 slot because I've attached the 1060 on this slot.

Back