Linux or FreeBSD

Hi all, I want to ask your advice! I have always worked with Windows, but now I decided to learn Linux or FreeBSD. I read that FreeBSD is faster, can you please tell me what are the main differences between these operating systems?

but now I decided to learn Linux or FreeBSD.
Why don't you learn about both?

I read that FreeBSD is faster
In certain cases, sure. Other cases, not so much.

can you please tell me what are the main differences between these operating systems?
Linux is a kernel. It's the various distributions that cobble together parts from various other sources (the GNU project for example) to get something that resembles a complete OS. FreeBSD is a complete OS. The other big difference is that the source code of FreeBSD can be traced back all the way to the original Bell labs/AT&T UNIX. The Linux kernel was written from scratch by Linus to be UNIX-like.

If you plan to install it on your machine, hardware compatibility may be a factor in your choice. You don't want to learn a system that you can't make work.

As he's used to Windows I would recommend VirtualBox or Windows' own Hyper-V to set up various VMs. Then you can experiment without risking your current Windows installation. Heck you could install a dozen different Linux distributions, FreeBSD, NetBSD, OpenBSD and anything else you might want to learn about.

Hi all, I want to ask your advice! I have always worked with Windows, but now I decided to learn Linux or FreeBSD. I read that FreeBSD is faster, can you please tell me what are the main differences between these operating systems?
As SirDice said, Linux is just a kernel (the backbone of an OS) that is usually distributed with GNU utilities on top (known as GNU/Linux) and with different package management systems in "distros" such as Ubuntu, Fedora, Void etc. FreeBSD and other *BSD operating systems develop the kernel and utilities all together.

FreeBSD has better sound, one of the reasons I switched is because its sound system doesn't constantly pop with my Razer Kraken headphones but GNU/Linux does for whatever reason. FreeBSD also makes building from source (so you can have your own build options) incredibly easy with the Ports Collection, which is comparable to Gentoo's Portage or Void's xbps-src. Documentation on Linux is almost embarrassingly bad compared to FreeBSD, which has every aspect of the base system documented in a handbook. FreeBSD has binary compatibility with Linux applications, in other words you can trick a Linux application into running under the FreeBSD kernel, but not everything works without a headache.

On the other hand, Linux is backed by a much larger community and Linux will run on nearly every device with little to no issues. FreeBSD's kernel is not as robust so it will not be a fun experience depending on your hardware. I had far worse luck running FreeBSD on a laptop than a desktop. Graphics drivers are based on the ones from Linux, and may give worse performance than what you get on Linux.

maybe this article may answer most of your questions:
As a core difference between FreeBSD and Linux I also recommend to read about licenses (FreeBSD license <-> GPL).
So the answer to "What to chose" also depends on your needs.
What do you want to do?

Since this question(s) are not so uncommon some is already written about it e.g. here:

Personal quick answer
If you want/prefer/expect something turnkey with fully automated set-up desktop environment, especially feel a bit more like Windows, you'd better look for a Linux-Distri such as Ubuntu.
If the main target is to play games, less experienced users may find it easier to install games under some popular Linux distri.

In FreeBSD you need to dig into a bit.
I personally find most things are much easier to install under FreeBSD as under Linux, but FreeBSD is very modular (neither to be ment good nor worse).
You just have to decide what you all need, install and in most cases configure it. (98% you'll get from the HB and documentation, the rest could be duckduckgoed or answered here.)

It's always the question ready vs. effort.
What Do you want?
If you're willing to dig into it, learn the system, not use it only, I'd recommend FreeBSD.
With a bit effort you'll receive a very reliable, stable system, absolutely tailored the way you like it - your system :cool:

...yeah, in fact that's again someone mentioned the word "fish" and we may face another village brawl Pro-FreeBSDler beating each other
😂
Also what Zirias linked I find very readable to make a choice.

I got a few questions my self 😅 :

What does working with Windows mean?
What reason is guiding your decision to look at Linux or FreeBSD as a possible replacement?

In a few years there will be just one LinDows (TM) - systemd's Poettering just got hired by M$.

So, if you want to ditch all that s***t, BSD is the choice.

I got a few questions my self 😅 :

What does working with Windows mean?
What reason is guiding your decision to look at Linux or FreeBSD as a possible replacement?
These are good questions. Another set of questions is: What do you want to use the OS for: desktop, server, embedded, networking? What applications do you need/want to run? Will it have to interoperate with other machines? What is the administration mechanism going to be? How reliable does it need to be? Can you afford getting professional (paid) service for it?

Do you want to program? If yes, why, what, and how?

Even more important: Why do you need or want a computer at all? Why not just get a web browser; these days most things that a user-facing computer can do can also be done from a web browser.

We are easily trolled here, aren't we. Sigh. But I'm sure you're right as they haven't made any reply. Still, on the bright side, one can hope others, seriously wondering the same thing, might come across these threads and learn things they didn't know before.

I agree. I think there is enough documentation to know about the differences between the two systems. A bad start if you want to learn and ask instead of research. The question has no complexity.
OP is missing. Vote for elimination.

Depends on what you want to do. If you want a desktop I’d only recommend Windows 10. On the other hand Windows Server 2016/2019, most Linux distros, or any of the BSDs make good server operating systems.

If you want to learn a new OS, just take some basic Linux Live image on a USB -- it's the easiest start IMHO. Start learning UNIX commands, learn using a repository for your software, try different programs and Desktop Environments and Window Managers. Explore, tweak and break a few things when learning. Join the according forum.

When you have the basic idea start with FreeBSD and build your favourites together, deepen your learnings.

[for understandability I skipped the technical discussion on Operating System and Kernel stuff]

If you want a desktop I’d only recommend Windows 10.
I don't recommend windows 10 unless there's some special need. For a regular desktop usage (mails, web, etc), windows 10 isn't even the right tool for the job.

For a regular desktop usage (mails, web, etc), windows 10 isn't even the right tool for the job.

Windows 10 is a perfect option for a desktop. Because it presents... a desktop. FreeBSD doesn't. You can't expect a mere mortal to waste time doing post install CLI configuration just to run Firefox either.

To the OP, if you have work to do and need it done in a reasonable amount of time; there's no shame is using Windows or macOS. Don't make life hard crawling the CLI just to gain cool points or boost your ego. Even source committers who work on the kernel everyday use these options.

Windows 10 is a perfect option for a desktop. Because it presents... a desktop. FreeBSD doesn't. You can't expect a mere mortal to waste time doing post install CLI configuration just to run Firefox either.
In Windows 10, those mere mortals waste their time with installing drivers and dealing with bugs, viruses and malwares. You install FreeBSD once and use it forever without any problems. Whereas Windows is practically unusable after a few months of use, and you have to reinstall it and all the necessary software from the scratch.

If you want to learn - then things you will learn with FreeBSD will be usable for decades. Things you will learn in Linux will last for several years at most - then they will rewrite the critical stuff again and you will have to learn other things again ... and after some time the cycle will happen again.

fwiw, I predict we will never hear from the OP again and this question should not have been allowed in the first place.
Like always you were right. I personally expected OP to check the answers at least once.

Guys, OP's gone, so there is no point in continuing this thread.

Back