The language of Gnome 42 is ok for everything but not for the terminal keyboard layout

Hello everybody,

I have installed Gnome 42 and it seems to me that everything is ok.
I also set the Gnome interface and keyboard layout to Italian but when I type in gnome terminal I still have the old English layout.
I set both the Italian keyboard for the xorg video server, and from the Gnome settings and finally I also changed this file like this:

/usr/local/etc/gdm/locale.conf
Code:
LANG = "it_IT.UTF-8"
LC_CTYPE = "it_IT.UTF-8"
LC_MESSAGES = "it_IT.UTF-8"
Thank you all.

True, you are right but I also set the keyboard from the Gnome settings and in fact it works in Italian less than in the terminal.
Everything is ok even at the level of GDM as a language, the only problem is the terminal that I have left in English.

You can try

Code:
setxkbmap it

That should set the keyboard to Italian. I'm not sure how you add it to Gnome on startup, maybe in /usr/local/share/xsession/gnome.desktop
I don't use Gnome, so that's a guess, but I know with RedHat systems, which use Gnome Display Manager to log in, that's where I would put things.
Or maybe have it point to a file on your desktop. Someone with more knowledge of Gnome can probably be more help.
Or you can just log in, open gnome-terminal, and type the command in there to make sure it works.[/code]

You can try

Code:
setxkbmap it

That should set the keyboard to Italian. I'm not sure how you add it to Gnome on startup, maybe in /usr/local/share/xsession/gnome.desktop
I don't use Gnome, so that's a guess, but I know with RedHat systems, which use Gnome Display Manager to log in, that's where I would put things.
Or maybe have it point to a file on your desktop. Someone with more knowledge of Gnome can probably be more help.
Or you can just log in, open gnome-terminal, and type the command in there to make sure it works.[/code]
Isn't it awesome how difficult it is with “modern“ Desktop Environments to get even the basics running, like keyboard layout?

I use x11-wm/windowmaker, doing the exact same thing as recommended in this thread (putting setxkbmap in ~/.xinitrc – and it just plain works! Maybe the Old Ones developing that kind of “obsolete” technology knew something we don't (anymore).

Btw.: the xinit approach has drawbacks when the keyboard is disconnected and re-plugged in (via, e.g., a KVM switch). Nowadays, I am doing the following: Instead of putting setxkbmap in my ~/.xinitrc, I instead create a config file for Xorg in /usr/local/etc/X11/xorg.conf.d, say 00-keyboard.conf and let it have the following content:
Code:
Section "InputClass"
        Identifier "system-keyboard"
        MatchIsKeyboard "on"
        Option "XkbLayout" "de"
        Option "XkbModel" "pc105"
EndSection
You need to adapt the line containing “de”, though, i.e. Option "XkbLayout" "it".

Of course, if you use Wayland instead of Xorg, this solution might not work and you need to investigate a more “up-to-date”, “modern” one. Yikes.

First of all thank you all.
I wanted to update you, as I think I'm going to the madhouse soon with this keyboard talk! :)
Yesterday I simply ran the kbdmap command from the terminal and then chose the Italian keyboard.
In this way, even from the terminal, the layout was in Italian but after a restart or a shutdown I don't remember when the system came back up again the problem came back.
A little while ago I turned the pc back on to follow your new advice step by step but the keyboard of the terminal was also ok!
I turned off and on again, always ok!
I logged out the user and reconnected, always ok!
I rebooted and always ok!
I am going crazy! :)

Thanks anyway.

Back