Solved Network adapter issues.

I will post the ifconfig as soon as I can. Fixing the fat-finger error did not help, although, when booting I did see a two line mention of the IP address 192.168.10.1. That never showed up in dmesg.

Another error of some sort is that there are two mentions of the EM driver being loaded by means of kldload from somewhere while that driver, and another one, are in the kernel and don't need to be loaded "manually". So, now I need to find those instances and delete them. I tried to use find but didn't find what I wanted. Same with whereis.

The reason I have not upgraded to 13.1 is that I would like to get the net working in order to do that with fewer errors. At this point, I am going to use the flash drive to do that.

I suppose I could simply start from scratch and install the entire system, but I would really rather not.

However, this is getting tedious.

Thanks for help, gang. You all are very good for putting up with me.

Ken

Last edited:
OK, first, here is a small part of dmesg -a:
Code:
module_register: cannot register pci/em from kernel; already loaded from if_em.ko
Module pci/em failed to register: 17
module_register: cannot register pci/igb from kernel; already loaded from if_em.ko
Module pci/igb failed to register: 17
And this above is what I believe to be part of my problem. It looks like there is some kldload commands somewhere which shouldn't be there, but I cannot find them.

Then there is this within the same file.
Code:
Starting dhclient.
DHCPREQUEST on em0 to 255.255.255.255 port 67
DHCPACK from 192.168.10.1
bound to 192.168.10.163 -- renewal in 43200 seconds.
Which seems to tell me that my NIC is being recognized and has been given the IP address 192.168.10.163

Then, when I do ifconfig -a

I get this:
Code:
em0: flags=8863<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> metric 0 mtu 1500
    options=481249b<RXCSUM,TXCSUM,VLAN_MTU,VLAN_HWTAGGING,VLAN_HWCSUM,LRO,WOL_MAGIC,VLAN_HWFILTER,NOMAP>
    ether 68:05:ca:e9:6b:df
    inet6 fe80::6a05:caff:fee9:6bdf%em0 prefixlen 64 scopeid 0x1
    inet 192.168.10.163 netmask 0xffffff00 broadcast 192.168.10.255
    media: Ethernet autoselect (1000baseT <full-duplex>)
    nd6 options=23<PERFORMNUD,ACCEPT_RTADV,AUTO_LINKLOCAL>
lo0: flags=8049<UP,LOOPBACK,RUNNING,MULTICAST> metric 0 mtu 16384
    options=680003<RXCSUM,TXCSUM,LINKSTATE,RXCSUM_IPV6,TXCSUM_IPV6>
    inet6 ::1 prefixlen 128
    inet6 fe80::1%lo0 prefixlen 64 scopeid 0x2
    inet 127.0.0.1 netmask 0xff000000
    groups: lo
    nd6 options=21<PERFORMNUD,AUTO_LINKLOCAL>
pflog0: flags=141<UP,RUNNING,PROMISC> metric 0 mtu 33160
    groups: pflog
Which seems to me to be telling me that everything is OK....unless I am misreading it.

But, when I ping a known IP address, I am told it cannot be reached, and if I try to use either Firefox or Chrome, both tell me that there is no internet.

I have carefully examined rc.conf, loader.conf, and can detect no errors, nor can I find any kldload commands anywhere.

At the moment, I am stuck.

Ken

module_register: cannot register pci/em from kernel; already loaded from if_em.ko
Module pci/em failed to register: 17
module_register: cannot register pci/igb from kernel; already loaded from if_em.ko
Module pci/igb failed to register: 17
Remove if_em_load="YES" from /boot/loader.conf.
I get this:

em0: flags=8863<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> metric 0 mtu 1500
It's working.
But, when I ping a known IP address, I am told it cannot be reached, and if I try to use either Firefox or Chrome, both tell me that there is no internet.
There's a difference between a working NIC and access to the internet. That difference is that you need a route from your FreeBSD box to the Internet gateway (a.k.a. the "default route").

You clearly have a DHCP server working on your internal network (because you have an IP address assigned to em0).

Do you have a working Router/ISP internet connection box? What's its IP address? Can you ping it?

Please show us the output of the following commands:
  • arp -a
  • netstat -rn

Either your dns doesn't work or you don't have a gateway address. Show us the output of

"grep nameserver /etc/resolv.conf"
"route -n get default"

OK. Turning pf off did the trick. Everything now works as it should, and as it did before I changed the motherboard. I can ping all my known IPs, etc., and I am on the net.

Now, my next question is "why"?

I'll take a close look at my pf settings...

I guess my next job is to upgrade my FreeBSD to 13.1

Thank you people very much

Ken

Yes. There is even a firewall included in our router. I have all KINDS of crap between our LAN and the web....and now I have pf back in operation. I may not be all that bright, but I am bright enough to NOT connect directly to the web.

All I had to do to get pf to work again was to edit pf.conf to change my NIC from the old one, to the new one: changed re0 to em0 and that is all it took.

Do any of you people remember Bitnet? I used that a long time ago. There weren't any hackers then. That was even before the first web-browser was available. The first one I ever heard about was Netscape. And for the very first "micro-computer" I worked on, a Southwest Technical Products model, 1K (yes, K) of RAM for it cost $1500.00. Not too long after that, one of our profs bought a 5 MB (yes again, MB) HD which cost $4995.00.

Thanks! :)

Now one of these days, I have to activate my on-board NIC, the I225-V, but I don't need that right away. First I have a LOT of other tweaks to do.

Ken

Oh. I see a reply I sent earlier didn't get posted. I upgraded to FreeBSD 13.1-RELEASE and did some other stuff. Up dated the ports, etc.

Ken

but I am bright enough to NOT connect directly to the web.
I didn't mean to imply that. Sometimes you have to mention things just in case.

The i225-v should be supported on FreeBSD 13.1 and I called it problematic because 13.1-RELEASE is the first version to support it. Firsts of anything can be iffy. Release is where you get the most testing coverage.
So it is a new driver.

I didn't mean to imply that. Sometimes you have to mention things just in case.

The i225-v should be supported on FreeBSD 13.1 and I called it problematic because 13.1-RELEASE is the first version to support it. Firsts of anything can be iffy. Release is where you get the most testing coverage.
So it is a new driver.

I was not one bit offended. I agree with you: one must mention possibilities, just in case. I do that too. In fact, I thank you for the advice.

Ken

I am very happy to have my FreeBSD system back in operation. My next job is to get WINE working, which, I understand, is a first-class torture-chamber....

Ken

OK. Fixing the fat-finger fixed the problem. Everything is now working as is should. Thank you all.

I will mark this thread as solved.

Ken

Back