no sound play local music in vlc ,but could work in firefox online video

the problem confuse me and tried any way but usefulless
Code:
cat /dev/sndstat
Installed devices:
pcm0: <Intel Broadwell (HDMI/DP 8ch)> (play)
pcm1: <Conexant CX20751/2 (Analog)> (play/rec) default
pcm2: <Conexant CX20751/2 (Left Analog)> (play/rec)
Installed devices from userspace:
dsp: <Virtual OSS> (play/rec)

I enabled sound with this:
sysrc sound_load=yes
sysrc snd_hda_load=yes

Make sure your system sound volume is at the highest level:
mixer vol 100

I have noticed that VLC uses the default playback device.
Forgot to mention that Firefox uses the playback device selected by pulse audio; I have KDE desktop with pulse audio mixer. I have seen similar behavior when the output device selected in pulse audio mixer is different from system's default playback device - VLC uses system's settings and Firefox uses pulse audio settings.

I have noticed that VLC uses the default playback device. Changing the default playback device with sysctl hw.snd.default_unit=n or changing audio device in VLC's settings (Audio > Audio Device), both work for me.

More on setting up the sound device at https://docs.freebsd.org/en/books/handbook/multimedia/#sound-setup.
thanks i will try !
today i use pkg install cmus to test a.mp3 then echo "ERROR selecting output plugin '': no such plugin "
BUT then i use ports to get source code of cmus,make package add the pulse support , it work very well without any mode change !
so strange😅

Forgot to mention that Firefox uses the playback device selected by pulse audio; I have KDE desktop with pulse audio mixer. I have seen similar behavior when the output device selected in pulse audio mixer is different from system's default playback device - VLC uses system's settings and Firefox uses pulse audio settings.
😅So complex
alway lack of any useful tool to solve similar problems

alway lack of any useful tool to solve similar problems
I wouldn't call these problems. These software are designed to work with different options/configurations. They come with some defaults, which can be changed as needed.

Firefox on my machine was installed from packages (with pkg), which has been compiled to work with pulseaudio, sndio, etc. It probably uses pulseaudio because it is available on my machine. VLC on the other hand, again installed from packages, has been compiled with pulseaudio off. I am sure both these software can be compiled with my choice of options if I use ports.

today i use pkg install cmus to test a.mp3 then echo "ERROR selecting output plugin '': no such plugin "
BUT then i use ports to get source code of cmus,make package add the pulse support , it work very well without any mode change !
Probably due to different options used at compile time, as I mentioned above.

BTW, I think it is not recommended to mix packages and ports, if I am not mistaken.

You are enabling virtual_oss (or something is starting it), what configuration did you give it ? Since your default output device seems to be dsp1 I wonder which argument you give to the rc settings: virtual_oss_dsp.
What is the output of sysrc virtual_oss_dsp

I have noticed that VLC uses the default playback device
Forgot to mention that Firefox uses the playback device selected by pulse audio
In hindsight, I should have mentioned that this is the behavior on my machine. I have Firefox and VLC binary packages installed with pkg, pulse audio installed as part of KDE desktop and I do not have virtual_oss installed.

The Plasma pulse audio mixer, installed as part of KDE desktop, works partially for me - it controls the volume of system speaker/headphones and switches audio device, which works for Firefox. However, the volume sliders do not change volume for HDMI output or the mic. For that, I switch device with sysctl and use mixer. As I can very easily run these commands with Krunner, I did not try other mixers like audio/dsbmixer yet. There may be a better/easier approach than mine.

You are enabling virtual_oss (or something is starting it), what configuration did you give it ? Since your default output device seems to be dsp1 I wonder which argument you give to the rc settings: virtual_oss_dsp.
What is the output of sysrc virtual_oss_dsp
Yestoday i deinstalled oss and viturl_oss then delete related sets in rc.conf, it works well except my externel speaker, but i can live with that

I tried to install this desktop environment, but VLC is the only one that works
KDE is beautiful but resource intensive, so i had to switch back
Freebsd is a great system, but desktop applications still take a lot of effort on the part of users(me)

:-/

realneet, do you have pulse audio running now? If you have installed these audio/video players as binary packages, you may use pkg info to find out what output options they were compiled with.

realneet, do you have pulse audio running now? If you have installed these audio/video players as binary packages, you may use pkg info to find out what output options they were compiled with.
ALSA : off
AVAHI : on
GCONF : off
GDBM : off
GSETTINGS : off
JACK : off
SIMD : on
SIMPLE : on
SOXR : on
SPEEX : on
TDB : off
TEST : off
WEBRTC_AEC : on
X11 : on
should i use the pipewire to replace this? I heard it is a new platform
So many functions be off

:eek:

realneet, I think the above info is for pulseaudio. I meant that you can check the package info for the players (vlc, mplayer, audacious, etc.) to see why some are working for you and some are not.

KDE is beautiful but resource intensive, so i had to switch back
Do you currently use a graphical mixer to control audio?

Could you please share the output from the following commands?
cat /dev/sndstat
sysctl hw.snd.default_unit
mixer
dmesg | grep hda*

should i use the pipewire to replace this? I heard it is a new platform
I think pipewire is developed for Linux to handle video similar to what pulse audio does for audio in Linux. I see that a port is available for pipewire, but I have no experience with it to comment on it.

there's not many grafical mixer of mate desktop i use alsamixer in teminal
cat /dev/sndstat
Installed devices:
pcm0: <Intel Broadwell (HDMI/DP 8ch)> (play)
pcm1: <Conexant CX20751/2 (Analog)> (play/rec) default
pcm2: <Conexant CX20751/2 (Left Analog)> (play/rec)
No devices installed from userspace.

dmesg | grep hda
hdac0: <Intel Broadwell HDA Controller> mem 0xf731c000-0xf731ffff irq 16 at device 3.0 on pci0
hdac1: <Intel Broadwell HDA Controller> mem 0xf7318000-0xf731bfff irq 22 at device 27.0 on pci0
hdacc0: <Intel Broadwell HDA CODEC> at cad 0 on hdac0
hdaa0: <Intel Broadwell Audio Function Group> at nid 1 on hdacc0
pcm0: <Intel Broadwell (HDMI/DP 8ch)> at nid 3 on hdaa0
hdacc1: <Conexant CX20751/2 HDA CODEC> at cad 0 on hdac1
hdaa1: <Conexant CX20751/2 Audio Function Group> at nid 1 on hdacc1
pcm1: <Conexant CX20751/2 (Analog)> at nid 23 and 26 on hdaa1
pcm2: <Conexant CX20751/2 (Left Analog)> at nid 22 and 25 on hdaa1

mixer
Mixer vol is currently set to 100:100
Mixer pcm is currently set to 97:97
Mixer speaker is currently set to 98:98
Mixer rec is currently set to 100:100
Mixer monitor is currently set to 97:97

sysctl hw.snd.default_unit
hw.snd.default_unit: 1

there's not many grafical mixer of mate desktop
audio/mate-media provides mate-volume-control. There are other graphical mixers available too, like audio/dsbmixer; you can find them with pkg search or on FreshPorts.

i use alsamixer in teminal
I think mixer is more appropriate for FreeBSD.

From your previous outputs, it seems your sound devices are detected, but you may also have pulse audio running, which some applications like Firefox may be using as default. You may use pactl commands to investigate this further.

Back