Solved Upgraded 12.1-RELEASE to 13.0-RELEASE (Problems)

Hey everyone! Long time no post!

I performed an upgrade; making sure that /var/db/freebsd-update was flushed after a freebsd-update fetch install (I couldn't get it to patch prior to latest patch; it was just stuck at 12.1-RELEASE regardless of how many times I tried).

I ran freebsd-update to 13.0-RELEASE and got this far...

Code:
To install the downloaded upgrades, run "/usr/sbin/freebsd-update install".
root@supernova:/home/brandon # /usr/sbin/freebsd-update install
Installing updates...
Kernel updates have been installed.  Please reboot and run
"/usr/sbin/freebsd-update install" again to finish installing updates.
root@supernova:/home/brandon #

Once I rebooted; I get a hang; or it appears to hang (Unless it takes a long time). I have interrupted this hang and tried going to single user mode; which works; once I get to # kicking off a /usr/sbin/freebsd-update install doesn't work as it says /var/db/freebsd-update doesn't exist. (I most likely am doing something wrong).

How do I stop the hang in multi user mode to continue the upgrade?

How do I use single user mode to continue the upgrade, if possible?

Thank you in advance!

~ Brandon

Just an update,

I just checked in single-user mode and I am able to see the contents of /var/db/freebsd-update/ (It just doesn't have write access apparently).

I do not know much about single-user mode. I have always used multi user mode (default).

Thanks in advance! I suppose the server needs a break! :)

6_2021-11-25 04-01-11.png

Had some great uptime until this morning!

• Thanks
Reactions: a6h
36_hangs_2021-11-25 06-24-17.png

Rebooting the server again into Multi-user mode (default); this is the hang spot.

I am going to post this and let it hang for a bit and come back and see if anyone knows whats going on if it doesn't eventually pass this spot.

Again, Thank you in advance!

I just checked in single-user mode and I am able to see the contents of /var/db/freebsd-update/ (It just doesn't have write access apparently).

I do not know much about single-user mode. I have always used multi user mode (default).
In my opinion it is normal not to be comfortable with the single-user mode. You can re-mount the file systems to change from read-only mode to read-write mode. The commands are different for UFS and ZFS and I do not know them by heart. They have been posted here from time to time in threads almost similar to yours. You will find them for sure.

In my opinion it is normal not to be comfortable with the single-user mode. You can re-mount the file systems to change from read-only mode to read-write mode. The commands are different for UFS and ZFS and I do not know them by heart. They have been posted here from time to time in threads almost similar to yours. You will find them for sure.
chbr,

Thank you ! Checking the board led me to a zero query result. However a quick google search led me to this part solution:

http://www.shellguardians.com/2016/01/running-freebsd-in-single-user-mode.html

Following these instructions led me to what appears to be a successful ZFS file system mount with root read/write.

The commands I issued were:

Code:
zfs mount -a

Code:
zfs set readonly=off zroot/ROOT/default

I issued the update command and am waiting after I disabled ezjail & sshd from boot /etc/rc.conf.

Code:
/usr/sbin/freebsd-update install

45_2021-11-25 14-37-54.png

Fingers crossed you can finish system upgrades in single-user mode. So basically it's a recovery console for people like me.

Thanks everyone as usual! Looking forward to posting with 13.0-RELEASE!

50_2021-11-25 14-52-20.png

The process moved forward.

Stopped at:

Code:
"Please rebuild all installed 3rd party software (e.g., programs installed from the ports tree) and then run "/usr/sbin/freebsd-update install

How does one accomplish this feat?

View attachment 12126

The process moved forward.

Stopped at:

Code:
"Please rebuild all installed 3rd party software (e.g., programs installed from the ports tree) and then run "/usr/sbin/freebsd-update install

How does one accomplish this feat?
First please run the command `freebsd-update fetch install ` three times (the third one after a reboot).
After that you launch pkg so it could bootstrap the system with the new variables .
You eventually will have to rebuild any package built from SRC

First please run the command `freebsd-update fetch install ` three times (the third one after a reboot).
After that you launch pkg so it could bootstrap the system with the new variables .
You eventually will have to rebuild any package built from SRC
tuxador,

Too late; I locked me into something here.

The following:

71_2021-11-25 15-04-34.png

Non-recoverable resolver failure - it's DNS. Something up with your network connection or DNS set-up, maybe.
richardtoohey2,

Happy Thanksgiving and I appreciate your analysis, comments and assistance.

I had my DNS servers running in Jails. So the jails are down right now.

I didn't think turning the jails off would disable the system's network. It downloaded all the patches.

I have a screen shot here of it downloading before the reboot. (The jails were off when I did this):

14_2021-11-25 05-09-21.png

20_2021-11-25 05-34-46.png

It did freeze on a network adapter here:

edit_31_2021-11-25 06-07-59.png

before learning how to login to root / read/write with single-user mode!

Is this on a virtual machine or real hardware?

If a virtual machine, what technology? e.g. Virtual Box?
richardtoohey2,

It's a Cloud VPS from Arp Networks; I don't know what they use; I am using the Virtual Machine Console to access the single-user mode recovery.

Technology I am not sure what they use.

Not sure you are right:

(In reply to danskoya from comment #20)
This is also an issue on ARP Networks.
Blacklisting virtio_random.ko works there too.
richardtoohey2,

Never been so happy to be wrong! Thank you and great find!

I added the blacklist and rebooted and am now in multi-user mode.

I will try and finish the upgrade now.

Thank you so very much, Sir!

100_2021-11-25 20-50-09.png

101_2021-11-25 20-50-50.png

103_2021-11-25 20-52-24.png

richardthoohey2,

Thank you! My system is updated now!

You saved my butt!

Nano is broken now, though; it's the only editor I am able to use efficiently without screwing things up.

Could you help me fix nano so I can enable jails and see if my server comes back up?

Thank you a bunch!!!

Happy Thanks Giving!
220_2021-11-25 21-04-17.png

221_2021-11-25 21-05-46.png

Okay so I ran the following commands:

130_2021-11-25 21-12-04.png

131_2021-11-25 21-12-26.png

133_2021-11-25 21-13-20.png

Since doing "pkg install nano" ; the above screen is waiting for my entry.

Is this the proper way of upgrading the 12.x packages to 13.0-RELEASE ?

Each time I need to use a package/app that I usually use; just encounter a problem and then go for an install / upgrade and then process like the above screen is awaiting for nano?

I have never done an upgrade on FreeBSD before. My very first! Thank you all again. and richardthoohey2; 100% :)

Best Regards,

Brandon!

Back