intel i915 from 12.1 on 13

Hello,

Since upgrading from 12.2 to 13 I've been experiencing the following issue with the i915 driver:

I never had this issue with 12.1 or 12.2. I'm wondering if:

A) Is there a way to get the 12.1 version of the i915 driver running on 13
B) I'd like to help debug the issue so I don't mind checkout different versions of the code and testing to see at what point the bug is introduced. But I don't how to match the driver sources to the kernel sources. If someone could point me to the documentation on how this is done I'd be glad to dig through this.
Thanks in advance.

pkg upgrade from earlier today showed update to drm-fbsd13-kmod-5.4.144.g20211013
I would give that a try first before anything else
Thanks for the suggestion. Just installed the package, rebooted, and ran a suspend/resume cycle. Still got wedged.

Code:
pkg info | grep drm
drm-fbsd13-kmod-5.4.144.g20211013 DRM modules for the linuxkpi-based KMS components
libdrm-2.4.106,1               Userspace interface to kernel Direct Rendering Module services

Is there a way to unload and then reload the i915 driver? I tried the naive way of doing this, mainly just writing a script that would do:

kldunload i915.ko

sleep 5

kldload i915.ko

But that didn't seem to work. Is such a thing even possible? Right now the I'm just stuck rebooting the machine whenever the driver is wedged. I try not locking my screen before closing the lid, but its pretty hardwired behavior at this point.

… unload … the i915 driver? …

I don't know about i915, but generally: it's advisable to not attempt to unload kernel modules for DRM. Expect a kernel panic.

… no longer required since 12.0?

<https://www.freshports.org/x11-drivers/xf86-video-intel/#packages> packages are available for FreeBSD:12:amd64, FreeBSD:13:amd64, FreeBSD:14:amd64 and more.

I don't know why it's legacy, sorry

Side note:

You can try booting into single user mode and login to your profile, then you can load i915 and start X to test.

Is that possible?

I mean, there should be an exit (from single user mode, to multi-user mode) before a login prompt can appear …

When you enter that mode, it'll jump you into a console with the chance to load i915 driver, if it works then it'll refresh your resolution but if not then hopefully it shows on the logs. You need to login with the profile so it'll ask for a username and password but I would just use this for a test to see if the driver is working.

Are you sure you're running i915kms when you have that package installed? I'd assume this installs X11 intel drivers, which would not rely on the framebuffer kernel driver that is i915kms? What does your log file say?

Last I know, no x11 drivers should be required when one uses the linuxkpi based drm drivers.
nvidia driver installs nvidia_drv:
Code:
pkg info -l nvidia-driver |grep drv
        /usr/local/lib/xorg/modules/drivers/nvidia_drv.so

drm-515 doesn't install intel_drv:

Code:
drm-515-kmod-5.15.118_2:
        /boot/modules/amdgpu.ko
        /boot/modules/dmabuf.ko
        /boot/modules/drm.ko
        /boot/modules/i915kms.ko
        /boot/modules/radeonkms.ko
        /boot/modules/ttm.ko

xf86-video-intel-2.99.917.923,1:
        /usr/local/lib/libI810XvMC.so
        /usr/local/lib/libI810XvMC.so.1
        /usr/local/lib/libI810XvMC.so.1.0.0
        /usr/local/lib/libIntelXvMC.so
        /usr/local/lib/libIntelXvMC.so.1
        /usr/local/lib/libIntelXvMC.so.1.0.0
        /usr/local/lib/xorg/modules/drivers/intel_drv.so
        /usr/local/man/man4/intel.4x.gz

Last edited by a moderator:
It seems that x11-drivers/xorg-drivers don't include intel:
Code:
VIDEO_DRIVERS=          apm \
                        ark \
                        ast \
                        chips \
                        cirrus \
                        dummy \
                        i128 \
                        i740 \
                        mach64 \
                        mga \
                        neomagic \
                        nv \
                        openchrome \
                        r128 \
                        rendition \
                        s3virge \
                        savage \
                        scfb \
                        siliconmotion \
                        sis \
                        tdfx \
                        tseng \
                        vesa \
                        voodoo

x11-drivers/xf86-video-intel is a legacy driver:
Code:
> pkg info xf86-video-intel-2.99.917.923,1 | grep Comment
Comment        : X.Org legacy driver for Intel integrated graphics chipsets
That's why Xorg doesn't install the intel driver /usr/local/lib/xorg/modules/drivers/intel_drv.so
Normally, the Xorg default modesetting driver /usr/local/lib/xorg/modules/drivers/modesetting_drv.so would be used.

Please provide the following:
the output of freebsd-version -kru
after you've run X, do cat /var/log/Xorg.0.log | nc termbin.com 9999 and paste the resulting url
the output of sysrc -v kld_list
your CPU; use for example sysutils/neofetch

x11-drivers/xf86-video-intel is a legacy driver:
Code:
> pkg info xf86-video-intel-2.99.917.923,1 | grep Comment
Comment        : X.Org legacy driver for Intel integrated graphics chipsets
That's why Xorg doesn't install the intel driver /usr/local/lib/xorg/modules/drivers/intel_drv.so
Normally, the Xorg default modesetting driver /usr/local/lib/xorg/modules/drivers/modesetting_drv.so would be used.

the output of freebsd-version -kru
after you've run X, do cat /var/log/Xorg.0.log | nc termbin.com 9999 and paste the resulting url
the output of sysrc -v kld_list
your CPU; use for example sysutils/neofetch
https://docs.freebsd.org/en/books/handbook/book/#x-config-video-cards shows:
Code:
Section "Device"
    Identifier "Card0"
    Driver     "intel"
EndSection
Will try with
Driver "modesetting"

laptop lenovo with intel integrated + dedicated nvidia:
Code:
vgapci1@pci0:0:2:0:     class=0x030000 rev=0x05 hdr=0x00 vendor=0x8086 device=0x9bc4 subvendor=0x17aa subdevice=0x3fa5
    vendor     = 'Intel Corporation'
    device     = 'CometLake-H GT2 [UHD Graphics]'
    class      = display
    subclass   = VGA
vgapci0@pci0:1:0:0:     class=0x030000 rev=0xa1 hdr=0x00 vendor=0x10de device=0x1f99 subvendor=0x17aa subdevice=0x3fa5
    vendor     = 'NVIDIA Corporation'
    device     = 'TU117M [GeForce GTX 1650 Mobile / Max-Q]'
    class      = display
    subclass   = VGA

I don't know what CPU you have (looks like intel 10th generation), again:
[...] your CPU; use for example sysutils/neofetch

Why are you using an unsupported version: FreeBSD 15.0-CURRENT ?

When I know your exact CPU, I can say more: your integrated intel GPU probably will work fine with FreeBSD 14.0-RELEASE.

I don't know what CPU you have (looks like intel 10th generation), again:

Why are you using an unsupported version: FreeBSD 15.0-CURRENT ?

When I know your exact CPU, I can say more: your integrated intel GPU probably will work fine with FreeBSD 14.0-RELEASE.
CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-10750H CPU @ 2.60GHz (2600.00-MHz K8-class CPU)

As you're using an unsupported FreeBSD version from the -CURRENT branch, I cannot definitively help you with your graphics for that. Kernel modules for -CURRENT are rather delicate/finicky and I would definitely not use a package like graphics/drm-515-kmod but I would instead compile the port on your specific instance of 15-CURRENT (also: Topics about unsupported FreeBSD versions).

You haven't answered with any statement or respons as to why you are using this 15.0-CURRENT.

You should try 14.0-RELEASE. Your CPU: i7-10750H (launch date: Q2'20 is from quite a while ago) has intel UHD 530 graphics; codenamed Comet Lake. When using 14.0-RELEASE and downloading & installing the meta package graphics/drm-kmod, you should get graphics/drm-515-kmod and its firmware companion graphics/gpu-firmware-intel-kmod. From the Log message of graphics/gpu-firmware-intel-kmod for commit 20230210_1 27 Feb 2023 15:26:10
it states support for Comet Lake:
Rich (BB code):
graphics/gpu-firmware-intel: Fix cannonlake/coffeelake

cnl firmwares are for cannonlake so introduce this module.
cml firmwares are the GuC/HuC firmware for cometlake, which uses
the dmc kabylake firmware so move them accordingly.

Then, as before, use kld_list="i915kms <etc>". And modesetting as in:
Code:
Section "Device"
   Identifier "Card0"
   Driver "modesetting"
EndSection

edit:
When that works, try deleting that file completely: Xorg will most likely load & use modesetting by itself.
👇

Back