Solved Installation via FTP

Hi.
I have made a base install using the USB image "FreeBSD-13.0-RELEASE-amd64-memstick.img". So FreeBSD 13 is up and running well and networking is functional.

I have tried to install supplementary software using bsdconfig -> "3 Packages" -> "2 FTP" -> "Main Site". It does not work.
I can see that the packet list synchronisation takes place and I get the list (package menu) to choose from. When I proceed to installation of selected packages I get an error
Code:
Unable to fetch package <package name> from selected media
No package add will be done.

I can install from command line with pkg install <package name>

Is there a fix to bsdconfig() so I can make this work?

I consider bsdconfig() a part of the base system and thus as here. If the question belongs to another forum, feel free to move it.

I suggest using "HTTP direct", instead of FTP, then selecting "pkg main site". That's the same repository pkg-install(8) uses. FTP is always somewhat problematic due to passive/active and various firewalls that may be between you and the destination site.

Other than that, I would just use pkg-install(8). If you don't know what you're looking for use Freshports to search or browse.

Thanks for the input. I also tried the http route. The index download works but the packet fetching does not. The command line installation tool works fine. It took me a little to realize that so one purpose of the thread is to help other newcomers who experience this as a barrier. The issue that I experience is for bsdinstall() as well.

I also tried the http route. The index download works but the packet fetching does not.
Odd, because I tested this on a test system before I posted (I rarely use bsdconfig(8) so had to make sure). And it works here, it installed a selected package just fine. Any proxies (hidden or not) on your network that might be causing problems?

I also tested in another network (both home and work and different ISPs) so probably not LAN related. If it were so pkg() would probably not work either. But it does, so I will cope. The main reason to my post is that bsdinstall() is from where most newcomers will attemp their first packet install.

Since I am up running I will mark the thread solved and leave it with that.

In any case thank you for the attention.

Back