Are you a hobbyist?

Is FreeBSD your hobby?

• Total voters
I never think that FreeBSD is my hobby. It is a tool which I can use to do what I need it. But I have two hobbies: entomology and mushrooms which I picking and eating them from my childhood.
Okay, computers were my hobby when I start with ZX Sectrum. It shows me different world but later were just tools.

Whatever I do as a hobby, I try to do as "professional" as possible. :cool:

My actual "profession" is software development and architecture. And at my workplace, we're using almost exclusively Windows and .NET (Core). Some Linux machines emerged, BSDs aren't of interest. So you could say operating some FreeBSD-based infrastructure at home is a "hobby" to me. Still, my systems serve some actual purposes (used in "production" for members of my household), AND I try to improve FreeBSD by working on ports whenever I find a problem affecting me (or I just have time and want to contribute something) ;)

So, my answer was, well, "Other" 😏

I'm just a hobbyist amateur. I don't get much challenge in real life to be honest. My job is quite easy. Studying complicated details about computers gives me something interesting to study, that is challenging and pushes me to learn more.

I edited it to include people who do this for a living and you can change your vote. It didn't even occur to me, probably because I've never made any money doing it.

vigole liked the Camaros. I showed them what a Camaro looked like. They said they'd never seen traction bars on a custom before. They had never seen curb feelers and static strips on a ghetto cruiser, either.

And nobody, had ever, seen anything like Early Kiler from the Adult Swim show Squidbillies in his black Hot Rod Truck on the return trip of an errand for his Sister Lil to get business supplies. With stolen John Deere Anhydrous Ammonia tank in tow and a team of four murdered out Mopars running high speed chase car interference for him. Two in front and two behind

You have to know your subject material. The blue Nova is a metal flake paint job:

67_Camaro_Street_Rod.jpg
Nova.jpg

69_Dodge_UberBee.jpg

69_Dodge_UberBee_rear.jpg

69_Dodge_UberBee_front.jpg

I'm guessing that whoever got offended at being called 'amateur' was equating the term with 'not being good/experienced enough to be a professional'. I've seen plenty of stories about self-centered people who were supposedly paid to know something, only to be outfoxed by unpaid hackers who would not pass an interview, but actually know a thing or two. Makes you wonder who's the one with professional-grade knowledge.

Back to the topic... I guess you could say that FreeBSD is a hobby for me. Not even so much the kernel/userland/CLI, but rather, the fact that it forms a VERY solid base for stuff like KDE and networking, while keeping things simple, and consistent. I guess a good analogy would be a rocket launchpad - I'm more interested in the rocket than the launchpad, in all honesty, but for a successful launch, you gotta invest in the launchpad first, and that's what I'm doing with FreeBSD, after getting frustrated with Linux.

I'm guessing that whoever got offended at being called 'amateur' was equating the term with 'not being good/experienced enough to be a professional'. I've seen plenty of stories about self-centered people who were supposedly paid to know something, only to be outfoxed by unpaid hackers who would not pass an interview, but actually know a thing or two. Makes you wonder who's the one with professional-grade knowledge.
Yeah this is definitely the issue. People getting paid who think they know everything because they do it for a living, so the word amateur has become a retort to say 'how would you know'.

I like mushrooms, too.. Particularly chantrelles and lactariats. The latter are a lot of work, soaking and then fermenting them in dill-flavored brine for a few months 🤤 Fantastic with freshly steamed potatoes and a beer.

I like mushrooms, too.. Particularly chantrelles and lactariats. The latter are a lot of work, soaking and then fermenting them in dill-flavored brine for a few months 🤤 Fantastic with freshly steamed potatoes and a beer.
I do not know if you know Amanita caesarea? It is a heaven special if you find still closed and Macrolepiota procera at this time. They are like a veal steaks :).

I do not know if you know Amanita caesarea? It is heaven special if you find still closed.

Thanks for pointing out the latin name... I googled it . Unfortunately, thanks to the shirt collar under the cap, that's regarded as suspicious stuff even by Russians who do know their mushrooms.

This is not to be confused with Amanita muscaria, which is the stuff all Russians are taught to stay away from.

The food is so rleative but I try everything. I remember when I was in research and we had ethcnicity days. I think Vietnamise or Korean brought 100 years old eggs. I think it was July or August and those eggs were so refreshment. And it was just myself who ate those eggs :).
But I love blood sausages with sourkraut or sour parsnip, boliled potato...I am hungry now. And I am still eating from my childhood a liver pate, special goose. And what is difference? Years ago was patte much better.

No, this thread cannot be derailed and will, in time, encompass every topic in the Universe to become self-aware, but you will not be ware if it. And I would have gotten around to mushrooms sooner or later.

Grey morels sell for $20 a pound here. Not to me, but people pay it.

This is how the Balwin Motion ties together on top.

1634283611921.png

Traction bars and Tiger Paws on a Hot Wheels Custom Camaro:

Traction_Bar02.png

Cowl Induction:
Camaro_Cowl.png

Camaro_OW.png

Camaro_RW.png

Static Strips on a lowrider. It has curb feelers too but the shot didn't get them:
Static_Strips.png

Back