Amount of forum staff

That part, I loudly and vehemently disagree with. FreeBSD forums are an elite place from the last bastion of ad-free places on the Internet where it's still possible to get real information without the damn ads getting in the way and polluting the search results. 😤
Not ads as in popups and other ads placed on the forums. Advertisement as FreeBSD Foundation already does. Like on FreeBSD's main page, FreeBSD Journal, foundation page or the quarter yearly FreeBSD texts. The advertisement is simply, this company contributed this, and it shows a specific part of software they fixed or added to base such as a component of the compiler or networking ability. One type of advertisement on the FreeBSD Journal is for authors' FreeBSD books.

FreeBSD already has advertisements, and not in the way you mentioned or got panicked about. The above quote is a knee-jerk response: it's a response about something that doesn't happen that way on FreeBSD. Xenforo is also advertised on the bottom of this page, which someone pointed out before, that it should be opensource. That may be an exception.

There was more after my quote:
On the other hand, some companies could be in favor of hoarding in Linuxisms, SystemD or Gnome ways to FreeBSD.
When it comes to components of FreeBSD's base, companies do sponsor their employees to work on parts of it. That worked out. It depends if they do things the FreeBSD/BSD way, or the Linux, SystemD, Gnome way. Already there's a lot of Linux and Gnome influence in the ports tree and mailing list.

That part, I loudly and vehemently disagree with. FreeBSD forums are an elite place from the last bastion of ad-free places on the Internet where it's still possible to get real information without the damn ads getting in the way and polluting the search results. 😤

FreeBSD forum is a plebian place and the last bastion of ad-free places on the Internet where it's still possible ...

sidetone I would say, as one who makes frequent use of howtos, that they aren't taken for granted. I don't think I've used one of yours recently, simply because they've not been on something I needed. But there are lots of people who do how tos here, and I do my best, when mentioning something I've learned from those howtos, to mention the person who wrote it. (Though as time passes, I probably forget.)

Anyway, to those who write howtos, thank you. Especially with 3rd party things, the handbook and wiki may be lacking, and it's the people who do the howtos that make it easier for the rest of us. I'm also going to add that when I do make an informational post, there are often one or two thank yous. So please, don't think your howtos are unappreciated. Sometimes people don't say thank you, but that doesn't mean they aren't making use of what you put in time and effort to produce for the sake of others.

simply because they've not been on something I needed.
I realize that. I see for maybe 3/4 of people on here for any narrowed topic, many aren't a topic of interest. They do apply to enough people, that it doesn't seem appreciated.

It's like I notice a lot of topics/threads are important, but I'm not interested in.

Not ads as in popups and other ads placed on the forums. Advertisement as FreeBSD Foundation already does.
While I agree with the others about advertising, in a way I might not mind some carefully placed and tasteful acknowledgement type ads to those who have contributed. For those in the USA, acknowledgements such as those on public NPR radio or PBS television where "contributions are made by viewers like you--and by....".

That said, the current placements on both have gone too far and it's hard to listen to my local public radio station anymore without being bombarded with these "acknowledgements". It's gotten out of hand and I thought there was supposed to be a limit to that.

It's like I notice a lot of topics/threads are important, but I'm not interested in.
This is basically how Open Source works. Folks work on what interests them.
If you look at the front page after logging in, where do most people start?
Latest Posts on the side?
Skip down to Base System, Installing and Upgrading?
Or do you start with Ports and Packages?
How often do you look at Embedded?

It all comes down to "you start where your interest lies, then Latest Posts because it may be interesting"

FreeBSD forum is a plebian place and the last bastion of ad-free places on the Internet where it's still possible ...
Sometimes it does feel that way... even with elite grade information within. Still, a place I'm grateful for.
1632422060402.png

Developers having contact with end users is not unusal in the industry.

I have to disagree with you on that. Some points:

I'm not a FreeBSD developer, but I know couple of .Net developers. They are busy, and on a schedule to finish their tasks. Sometime, they stay awake for two days straight. They only have time to be in contact with clients, and answer to their questions -- which is not simple. No time for skimming Forums, Discord, IRC, etc.

With the exception of checking incoming "CC emails" from projects, which they've been involved with, there's no time to check other mailing-list either -- even related ones. Phone them at the wrong time, and they will start barking -- understandable, and for a good reason!

Not as a general rule, some developers have extra time to spare. But don't count on it.

Back