Also OpenAFS deprecated

FreeBSD is becoming step by step deprecated.
If this comment is sarcasm then my apologies up front. If not:

i honestly cant wrap my head around the fact that, as a member since 2014 with 800+ msg, you still can not differentiate between OS and port (piece of software)

Seems to me your comment can be showcase for ingratitude and lack of acknowledgement of developers/committers hard work.

If you are not using FreeBSD why are in this forum, if you are using FreeBSD why are using a deprecated OS

In either case i don't appreciate your comment; not because it matters but because i'm tried of people throwing weird judgments around without fact and polluting this forum

My suggestion would be either roll up your sleeves and start updating deprecated ports or stop underestimating developers/committers hard work.

My suggestion would be either roll up your sleeves and start updating deprecated ports or stop underestimating developers/committers hard work.
Do you think I am able to update all of them?

You can call it sarcasm. But it is a fact that there is always more deprecated ports. At the end FreeBSD
will be deprecated.

Thanks for anyone working on the OS. With the bare OS one can do a lot of things, but without the
ports other OS are more attractive. And if ports are not being updated, then because FreeBSD is
losing attractivity. Excuse me, that has nothing to do with gratitude or acknowledgement of the work
of others, it is just a fact.

And if ports are not being updated, then because FreeBSD is
losing attractivity
I disagree with that.
For example audio/lash has not been updated in ages (the original tarball has not been updated since 2009), but that means squat for attractiveness of FreeBSD. If someone is motivated, they will find alternatives to audio/lash that actually work on FreeBSD. The ports tree is likely to provide some usable alternatives.

In many cases outdated ports are simply lack of actual users (that submit patches), breakage upstream and/or sometimes a new release contains a bugfix that's not related to FreeBSD. Patches are always welcome and if you can test using Poudriere the submission process gets speed up a lot.

Upstream just recently issued an update that specifically called out fixed FreeBSD problems. They seem to be fine, maintainer not so much.

always more deprecated ports

… and always more new ports.

1632570766585.png

Back