Frequency and CPU !

Eleven years? That's a lot of sugar for a dime. I once got about 12 years out of a Dell Dimension, but that was a heavy-duty tower configuration. How many years do you expect to get out of a notebook/laptop?

What was that make and model again?

Edited to add: Did you do any preventative maintenance like SirDice mentioned in post #17 above?
The brand was HP, and of course I did many preventive maintenance in the 11 years of his life that worked normally first with windows or then with linux, this time that I installed it fully FreeBSD, it happened what happened, ended up killing my Notebook, despite having done tests much earlier in virtualized machine, and gave the same problem with the temperature rise and the triggering of the use of the cores in minimal activities.

The brand was HP, and of course I did many preventive maintenance in the 11 years of his life that worked normally first with windows or then with linux, this time that I installed it fully FreeBSD, it happened what happened, ended up killing my Notebook, despite having done tests much earlier in virtualized machine, and gave the same problem with the temperature rise and the triggering of the use of the cores in minimal activities.
I've not had very good luck with HPs or Acer laptops, although that said I still have to say that my HP Stream is holding up pretty well after about 5-6 years in spite of flaky ACPI and wireless hardware. Have done much better with Lenovo and Dells.

My first Acer Aspire almost burned up after only about 5 years of running Windows XP only. The cooling fan was running constantly and some of the circuitry was fried. Then I put Debian on it and quite unexpectedly the operating temperature dropped down to a reasonable range. It also does okay with FreeBSD, but it's so old now that I mainly just use it as stand for one of my Dells.

If I can get 5 plus years of continuous use out of any laptop I figure it's paid for itself, and everything after that is gravy.

I've not had very good luck with HPs or Acer laptops, although that said I still have to say that my HP Stream is holding up pretty well after about 5-6 years in spite of flaky ACPI and wireless hardware. Have done much better with Lenovo and Dells.

My first Acer Aspire almost burned up after only about 5 years of running Windows XP only. The cooling fan was running constantly and some of the circuitry was fried. Then I put Debian on it and quite unexpectedly the operating temperature dropped down to a reasonable range. It also does okay with FreeBSD, but it's so old now that I mainly just use it as stand for one of my Dells.

If I can get 5 plus years of continuous use out of any laptop I figure it's paid for itself, and everything after that is gravy.
But which model or series of the Lenovo and Dells like Acer Aspire ? That is compatible with the drivers and hardware of the machine.

But which model or series of the Lenovo and Dells like Acer Aspire ? That is compatible with the drivers and hardware of the machine.
Ah but I asked you first, and you only gave me the maker. Not fair. Nevertheless, partly from memory as I no longer have them all:

Lenovo G50-45 laptop- my favorite so far, but not much data on it yet
Dell Latitude D510 laptop - still in service after I don't know how many years
Dell ???? laptop - gave it away years ago
Dell Dimension 4700 tower - in service 2006-2019. HDD replaced 2014.
Acer Aspire A315-21 laptop - still serviceable, although I no longer have it either
Acer Aspire 3624WXMI laptop - burned up via Windows XP, in service 2004-2009
HP Pavillion ???? laptop - bricked itself running Windows 7 when the battery went dead
HP Stream 11-d010-wm laptop- still in service after 5-6 years

There were others I can no longer remember, including one long-dead Compaq, and 2 long-dead Acer Aspires from the Windows Vista era, which I bought as gifts when they were new.

I have a Gateway box in my basement that is a PII. I turned it on just a week ago looking for something and it still works great with RELEASE 9.0 on it, I think.
I have two Dell laptops in my office. One runs FreeBSD 13.0-RELEASE and I use for daily backups of certain things and the other has Windows on it strictly for updating my TV controller which I haven't done in years. Both have junk sitting on them so I don't recall the models but they're both 32-bit so, yeah, old.

I have a Gateway box in my basement that is a PII. I turned it on just a week ago looking for something and it still works great with RELEASE 9.0 on it, I think.
I have two Dell laptops in my office. One runs FreeBSD 13.0-RELEASE and I use for daily backups of certain things and the other has Windows on it strictly for updating my TV controller which I haven't done in years. Both have junk sitting on them so I don't recall the models but they're both 32-bit so, yeah, old.
To be entirely forthcoming, my Dell Latitude has also been switched "off" during some fairly long stretches of its "lifetime." But these other computers I listed were left up and running all or most of the time. Naturally, not using a computer will extend its lifetime quite a bit, at least as long as the temperatures aren't too extreme, and it doesn't accumulate too much dust, bugs, humidity, or etc.

… CPUs burn out while compiling or just start watching a video on youtube, …

… HP, …

… killing my Notebook, …

I have used FreeBSD with one old HP EliteBook 8570p after another. When one overheated, repeatedly, dirt (not FreeBSD) was the cause.

… take off the heat sinks, clean up and apply new thermal paste. …

… preventive maintenance …

teo when did you most recently do exactly what's suggested by SirDice?

I've got these laptops running FreeBSD right now:

FreeBSD 12.2-RELEASE-p7
Gateway NV53A (Acer Clone)
AMD Phenom II x 3 N830 Triple Core @ 2.1GHz
4GB DDR3 RAM
ATI Mobilty Radeon HD 4250
HITACHI Travelstar 500GB HDD @ 7200 RPM
Matshita DVD-RAM Super Multi drive
15.6 16:9 HD LED LCD
Realtek ALC272 Audio

FreeBSD 12.2-RELEASE-p7
Thinkpad W520
Intel Quad Core 2nd Gen i7-2760QM (2.40GHz, 6MB L3, 1600MHz FSB, 45W)
8 GB RAM PC3-10600
Nvidia Quadro 1000M with 2GB DDR3 and 96 CUDA cores with Optimus Technology
Serial UltraBay Enhanced DVD Burner II
15.6" TFT display with 1920x1080 (FHD) resolution with LED backlight
Intel HD Audio

FreeBSD 12.2-RELEASE-p7
Thinkpad T61
Intel Core 2 Duo CPU T7300 @ 2.0GHz
4GB PC2-5300 RAM
Nvidia Quadro NVS 140M
Scorpio Black 250GB HDD @ 7200RPM
Hitachi CD-RW / DVDRAM combo
15.4" 1680x1050 (WSXGA+) widescreen
Intel HD Audio

FreeBSD 12.2-RELEASE-p7
Thinkpad T400
Intel Core2 Duo P8600 @ 2.4GHz
8GB PC3-8500 RAM
Switchable Graphics with Intel GMA 4500MHD and ATI Mobility Radeon HD 3470 (Set to Radeon)
Serial Ultrabay Slim CD-RW/DVD combo Drive
14.1" 1280x800 (WXGA) with LED backlight
Intel HD Audio

FreeBSD 12.2-RELEASE-p7 GENERIC i386
IBM Thinkpad T43
Intel Pentium M processor (Dothan) @ 2.00GHz
2GB PC2-4200 RAM
Hitachi GST Travelstar 7K100 100GB HDD @ 7200 RPM
RV370/M22 ATI Mobility Radeon X300
HL-DT-ST RW/DVD GCC-4242N 0J05
15.0" TFT display with 1024x768 resolution
Intel AC'97 Audio

And my offline W520 mp3 player at 145 days uptime in the shot. They can all be seen in the screenshot thread:

FreeBSD 12.1-RELEASE-p3
Thinkpad W520
Intel Quad Core i7-2760QM (2.40GHz, 6MB L3, 1600MHz FSB, 45W)
8 GB RAM PC3-10600
Intel HD Audio

summoning.jpg

I've got these laptops running FreeBSD right now:

FreeBSD 12.2-RELEASE-p7
4GB DDR3 RAM
Realtek ALC272 Audio

FreeBSD 12.2-RELEASE-p7
Thinkpad W520
Intel Quad Core 2nd Gen i7-2760QM (2.40GHz, 6MB L3, 1600MHz FSB, 45W)
8 GB RAM PC3-10600
Intel HD Audio

FreeBSD 12.2-RELEASE-p7
Thinkpad T61
Intel Core 2 Duo CPU T7300 @ 2.0GHz
4GB PC2-5300 RAM
Nvidia Quadro NVS 140M
Scorpio Black 250GB HDD @ 7200RPM
Hitachi CD-RW / DVDRAM combo
15.4" 1680x1050 (WSXGA+) widescreen
Intel HD Audio

FreeBSD 12.2-RELEASE-p7
Thinkpad T400
Intel Core2 Duo P8600 @ 2.4GHz
8GB PC3-8500 RAM
Switchable Graphics with Intel GMA 4500MHD and ATI Mobility Radeon HD 3470 (Set to Radeon)
Serial Ultrabay Slim CD-RW/DVD combo Drive
14.1" 1280x800 (WXGA) with LED backlight
Intel HD Audio

FreeBSD 12.2-RELEASE-p7 GENERIC i386
IBM Thinkpad T43
Intel Pentium M processor (Dothan) @ 2.00GHz
2GB PC2-4200 RAM
Hitachi GST Travelstar 7K100 100GB HDD @ 7200 RPM
RV370/M22 ATI Mobility Radeon X300
HL-DT-ST RW/DVD GCC-4242N 0J05
15.0" TFT display with 1024x768 resolution
Intel AC'97 Audio

And my offline W520 mp3 player at 145 days uptime in the shot. They can all be seen in the screenshot thread:

FreeBSD 12.1-RELEASE-p3
Thinkpad W520
Intel Quad Core i7-2760QM (2.40GHz, 6MB L3, 1600MHz FSB, 45W)
8 GB RAM PC3-10600
Intel HD Audio

View attachment 11372
All those quite low in resources, none with 4 cores or at least base frequency having 2.8 GHz as USB port number 3.0+

All those quite low in resources, none with 4 cores or at least base frequency having 2.8 GHz as USB port number 3.0+

Really, teo?

So you're claiming FreeBSD supposedly burned up a more powerful Processor and making an argument that it will run on less powerful Processors without burning them up?

And as far as that goes, teo, the Processor specs for the W520 shows:
Intel Quad Core i7-2760QM @ 2.40GHz with 4 cores and 8 Processor threads

The Processor specs for the HP G62-b86ss you claim couldn't handle running FreeBSD lists it as having a:
Intel Core i5 @ 2.53 GHz with 2 cores and 4 Processor threads

My lowest resource machine is the IBM T43 running i386 Freebsd-RELEASE-p7. Stats for it:
Intel Pentium M processor (Dothan) @ 2.00GHz with 1 core and 1 Processor thread

And with all my regular desktop apps in use running at a cool 51.0C in the screenshot from 8-29-21:
HoE_T43.png

Really, teo?

So you're claiming FreeBSD supposedly burned up a more powerful Processor and making an argument that it will run on less powerful Processors without burning them up?

And as far as that goes, teo, the Processor specs for the W520 shows:
Intel Quad Core i7-2760QM @ 2.40GHz with 4 cores and 8 Processor threads

The Processor specs for the HP G62-b86ss you claim couldn't handle running FreeBSD lists it as having a:
Intel Core i5 @ 2.53 GHz with 2 cores and 4 Processor threads

My lowest resource machine is the IBM T43 running i386 Freebsd-RELEASE-p7. Stats for it:
Intel Pentium M processor (Dothan) @ 2.00GHz with 1 core and 1 Processor thread

And with all my regular desktop apps in use running at a cool 51.0C in the screenshot from 8-29-21:
View attachment 11373
Please do not misrepresent, it seems that you did not read my previous messages and did not visualize the images with cores temperature at 96% compiling a small binary package and automatically shut down in the process of compilation because I can't stand it anymore. When I installed FreeBSD on the Notebook and started to use it as operating system, I can't stand it anymore and the Notebook died, that's what I said in one of the last messages. Because the temperature in linux or windows regulated it automatically.

Please do not misrepresent, it seems that you did not read my previous messages and did not visualize the images with cores temperature at 96% compiling a small binary package and automatically shut down in the process of compilation because I can't stand it anymore.
Yes, teo, I made sure to read every sentence you typed carefully and looked at every graph you posted closely, precisely because of the nature of your previous posts.

I have machines with higher end Processors than yours, lower end Processors than yours, none of my machines have an automatic frequency regulator and run just fine without burning one up no matter what the task.

Yes, teo, I made sure to read every sentence you typed carefully and looked at every graph you posted closely, precisely because of the nature of your previous posts.

I have machines with higher end Processors than yours, lower end Processors than yours, none of my machines have an automatic frequency regulator and run just fine without burning one up no matter what the task.
My Notebook was not high-end, maybe mid-range, with 11 years of use. As another user says with FreeBSD it has not done well with either Acer or HP.

My Notebook was not high-end, maybe mid-range, with 11 years of use. As another user says with FreeBSD it has not done well with either Acer or HP.
And as I said, I've got an Acer running FreeBSD right now with a Radeon chipset:

FreeBSD 12.2-RELEASE-p7
4GB DDR3 RAM
Realtek ALC272 Audio

That came with Windows 7 Pro on it which has a start date of 10/22/2009.
The T61 and T400 are lower end machines than yours and all of them listed except the IBM T43 came with Win 7 on them.

All but the Gateway/Acer clone (Meaning Gateway had them brand their purchase of Acer laptops as Gateway) were procured used off ebay. My brother-in-law dropped a can of frijoles on the Acer handrest, borked the HDD, gave it to me and I fixed it.

Please read again, neither of my bigger problems was with FreeBSD. The Acer ran Windows XP and the HP ran Windows 7.

The point I was trying to make is that no computer hardware lasts forever. That's why we make redundant backups. I could blame the hardware, I could blame the software, I could blame myself for the way I configured or maintained the computer, but I'm not driving the same car I was driving 11 years ago either.

Eleven years, as I said at the beginning, is still a lot of sugar for a dime.

Does FreeBSD not automatically turn off when system temperature reaches too high? I can understand that small devices with heating issues might be prone to overheating in poor conditions when building large ports. I have had a similar laptop in the past that overheated on Ubuntu.

Please read again, neither of my bigger problems was with FreeBSD. The Acer ran Windows XP and the HP ran Windows 7.
In one of your previous messages when you said that:

I thought l related it to FreeBSD.

Does FreeBSD not automatically turn off when system temperature reaches too high?
Yes.

100.0C is when you get the console message and beep saying it's too hot and getting ready to shut down.

If you're compiling ports from the login terminal and the temp approaches the upper safety limit, the System will issue a warning through the console it will shut down in a few seconds if the temp doesn't come down.

It goes into auto shutdown at 100.0C.

I have no idea, but I've watched it happen with sysutils/gkrellm2 showing the temp at 100.0C and had it shut down while compiling a port more than once. That's why I only compile ports on one machine at a time now from the login terminal using my gaming fan.

And why I recently stated I need to take them all apart and clean them.

I have no idea, but I've watched it happen with sysutils/gkrellm2 showing the temp at 100.0C and had it shut down while compiling a port more than once. That's why I only compile ports on one machine at a time now from the login terminal using my gaming fan.

And why I recently stated I need to take them all apart and clean them.
How is that you compile from the login terminal using my game fan ? You mean from the terminal of another server that is hosted on your game machine connected by SSH to the machine you are building the system on?

Back