Getting more information about the gpu and libraries loaded

Interesting. I have a (relatively) new shiny Threadripper with an Nvidia GPU that has constant stuttering issues on YT, both Firefox and Falkon.

Are you saying this is a CPU issue? Is there anything I can do about that? Because I was scratching my head over this like OP, and just assumed that it probably had something to do with the unlocked functionality of the Nvidia.
I don't think that CPU is the issue... I have an all-AMD setup (Ryzen 5 1400 for CPU, RX 550 4 GB for GPU) that I build myself back in 2017, and had no stutteting issues on YT.

(Not that I specifically went to check for that, but with plenty of embedded YT vids all over the Internet, some of 'em actually useful in the moment, it was an unavoidable, in-your-face fly-by, and I had no issues at all with loading or stuttering in Konqueror that I compiled from ports with everything enabled).

I guess compiling multimedia/ffmpeg with EVERYTHING enabled (even for deps of deps of deps of deps) proved useful. Pre-compiled packages (the ones that get installed with # pkg install tend to be compiled with minimal options. When proper codecs are not installed (or compiled without usable options), video playback suffers, and even a good GPU will be unable to compensate for that.

I don't think that CPU is the issue... I have an all-AMD setup (Ryzen 5 1400 for CPU, RX 550 4 GB for GPU) that I build myself back in 2017, and had no stutteting issues on YT.

(Not that I specifically went to check for that, but with plenty of embedded YT vids all over the Internet, some of 'em actually useful in the moment, it was an unavoidable, in-your-face fly-by, and I had no issues at all with loading or stuttering in Konqueror that I compiled from ports with everything enabled).

I guess compiling multimedia/ffmpeg with EVERYTHING enabled (even for deps of deps of deps of deps) proved useful. Pre-compiled packages (the ones that get installed with # pkg install tend to be compiled with minimal options. When proper codecs are not installed (or compiled without usable options), video playback suffers, and even a good GPU will be unable to compensate for that.
Are you sure? It might be a slight mistake to assume that just because your particular setup isn't having problems, that others aren't either. I have quite a different Ryzen than you (3960x), along with a different generation of motherboard, and an Nvidia GPU.

Are you sure? It might be a slight mistake to assume that just because your particular setup isn't having problems, that others aren't either. I have quite a different Ryzen than you (3960x), along with a different generation of motherboard, and an Nvidia GPU.
To be honest, I'm surprised that newer (and way more expensive) stuff is having issues. I would blame the stuttering issue on lack of proper codecs and drivers, rather than hardware design. Back in my days with a Celeron (ca. 2000), I had to install CCCP(Combined Community Codec Pack) to play some weird formats. Before installation, Windows Media Player did try to play the vids, but stuttered. After installing CCCP - stuttering did go away on the same hardware.

I think it would take a dud unit of hardware to have stuttering problems that are unsolvable with a simple codec/driver reinstall/recompile. I'm having a hard time buying the idea that I just lucked out on hardware.

To be honest, I'm surprised that newer (and way more expensive) stuff is having issues. I would blame the stuttering issue on lack of proper codecs and drivers, rather than hardware design. Back in my days with a Celeron (ca. 2000), I had to install CCCP(Combined Community Codec Pack) to play some weird formats. Before installation, Windows Media Player did try to play the vids, but stuttered. After installing CCCP - stuttering did go away on the same hardware.

I think it would take a dud unit of hardware to have stuttering problems that are unsolvable with a simple codec/driver reinstall/recompile. I'm having a hard time buying the idea that I just lucked out on hardware.
It probably is related to drivers, but that kinda comes as a package deal with these hardware components. Lord knows I'm not competent to write/fix a driver.

It probably is related to drivers, but that kinda comes as a package deal with these hardware components. Lord knows I'm not competent to write/fix a driver.
I don't write/fix drivers, that's beyond my abilities, too. I just look on Internet for up-to-date versions to download and try... And I try out other software-based fixes like the one just above.

Back