12.2 no screens found AMD Radeon/ATI

Hi,

I have installed FreeBSD 12.2 on a new Asus AMD E402Y laptop for dual boot with Windows 10. I am unable to successfully start the GUI. Reading the X config log, i understand devices are found but not matching with the config provided. I have attached xorg.conf, output of pciconf -lv command and Xorg.0.log here. Looking for help to get this resolved.

--Thanks

Attachments

• xorg.conf
    2.2 KB · Views: 68
  • pciconf.txt
    5.4 KB · Views: 72
  • Xorg.0.log.txt
    4.6 KB · Views: 66
Have you installed drm-kmod and xf86-video-ati ? I have this with 13.0-RELEASE and with no other configuration at all and it works very well. Everything installed from packages, and according to dmesg -a I have "CPU: AMD A6-6310 APU with AMD Radeon R4 Graphics"

Thanks Vull. I upgraded to 13 and added kld_list="radeonkms" in /etc/rc.conf and X is working is fine. Even in 12.2 itself i had installed xf86-video-ati(pkg) and drm-kmod from ports as i noticed in an other post that drm-kmod package in 12.2 actually builds for 12.1 and hence used the ports.

This issue can be marked as resolved.

--Thanks.

i noticed in an other post that drm-kmod package in 12.2 actually builds for 12.1 and hence used the ports.
This was only the first three months when 12.1 was still supported. Once 12.1 was EoL the packages were built for 12.2.

You're welcome. For some odd and unidentified reason, if I add kld_list="radeonkms" in /etc/rc.conf it starts too early, drm starts thrashing, and my system goes haywire, so I just let xorg start it when it loads the radeon video driver.

I have FreeBSD 13 and there kld_list="radeonkms" works just fine.
Thanks. I think it's probably just some quirk peculiar to my particular hardware. I have, according to the BIOS setup:
Product name:
BIOS Version:
CPU:
Lenovo G50-45
A2CN45WW(V2.13)
AMD A6-6310 APU with AMD Radeon Graphics

Point being, it may not always be necessary, and in some cases, might even cause problems.

I do have kld_list="acpi_video" which makes it possible to adjust the laptop screen brightness using F11 and F12 keys.

Back