*BSD infection going around

Some distro's have a satanism or Christianity package. I don't find them disturbing.
But Covid, I would personally not use it for jokes.

I imagine at the time it probably felt good to mark the times in which we all find ourselves, but I suppose that could have been achieved in another way. It also looks like its making some people uncomfortable judging by the comments section in the article.

But Covid, I would personally not use it for jokes.
I agree. But the manpage of that package is actually well-informed, solid advice. I see it as a kind of awareness-building measure.
I imagine at the time it probably felt good to mark the times in which we all find ourselves, […]
That's definitely true. Someone will run that program in twenty or thirty years, be astonished and take a deep dive into Wikipedia. It's kind of a time capsule.

This is the world that free software came from. It's not surprising that there are a few last vestiges of it left behind.

[For those who have more of a light heart you could always describe it as cultivated from establishments such as U.C. Berkeley, M.I.T., C.M.U., Bell Labs, etc and be just as correct.]

Oh, You find this disturbing? Indeed, the idea that people are naturally free by birthright, and should not be ruled over, appears disturbing to quite a lot of people - both of them, wulf and sheep.
Disturbing may not be the right word. It's not my native language. I just wanted to say: Is that necessary for an OS?
The saying goes that one's freedom begins where the other's ends.

Oh, You find this disturbing? Indeed, the idea that people are naturally free by birthright, and should not be ruled over, appears disturbing to quite a lot of people - both of them, wulf and sheep.
What's the essence of a(n enforced) birth certificate? It is imposed just at the beginning....

Use of Maritime law on Land.........

Oh, what a well crafted world!!

Disturbing may not be the right word. It's not my native language. I just wanted to say: Is that necessary for an OS?
No, it is not necessary. It might even appear a bit strange - not because it might be offensive to those having a different viewpoint, but because those fancying with such ideas did not hold up to the claim. They did not speak up against users becoming mere cattle, only required to deliver clicks, since clicks translate to money.
There was a saying, the rich and the poor are equally free to live under a bridge. Now, in the developed countries it is no longer allowed to live unter a bridge, and everybody is equally free to click on stupid likes. Is it only me thinking, or is there something seriously going wrong?
The saying goes that one's freedom begins where the other's ends.
Yes, but that's a conceptional mistake, based on the idea that freedom would be a rare good (i.e. not enough freedom available for all). Rather freedom is an obligation, as there is no freedom without responsibility. ("thou hast no right but to do thy will")

My all time favorite is games/evilfinder.

But I've never played games/xbill.

They did not speak up against users becoming mere cattle, only required to deliver clicks, since clicks translate to money.
I'm gonna get me some clicks and vacation in Japan.They have some banners that I bet would look good on my sites.
The Sky's the Limit!

get_clicky.png

It looks like NetBSD had it first and now DragonFly!
If it's merely a virtu(e|al) signalling move, well! that's a chickenshit move. Otherwise, I don't care. Someone may need it. Not me.
By the way, the Phoronix is the BuzzFeed of tech circle.

Actually I wouldn't use any of them as a joke, since everyone is easily offended nowadays.
When I was a kid, I learnd not to be offended. There's no hope for grown-ups, they're a lost cause.
First of all, back then nobody cared if I offended or not. The solution: don't offended.
Second, you could get branded as a snowflake, or even to face punishment by your parent or school. At the time, they didn't have time to pander to whining brats. I was raised in wartime in a war zone. We had real problems (not made-up ones), e.g. to not get hit by Scud missile. Being a beta wasn't an option.

When I was a kid, I got home from 4th Grade at 3:20pm. My Mom worked 3-11 and I was on my own til she got home. I lived a block from the YMCA and is where I grew up.

I grew up around people different than me and learned how to get along with people. How to wrestle and how to deal with people when offended by them. We went across the street to the Park and they ended up on the losing end of a wrestling match.

That's pretty much the way it has stayed throughout my life. My technique changed as did the level of violence but it worked as well as it ever had. There was a bonus to that approach that only came over time.

People were less likely to do something to offend me, I was less likely to be offended, became less violent, more at peace with myself and with the World. Not every action against me requires an equal and opposite reaction or rises to the level of a response.

Not every situation of violence I find myself in needs met with violence and can begin and end without it and not one word said by any party involved from start to finish. But that requires experience and technique you don't get from crying or being offended because I said Thank you, "Mam" when that is not the phraseology you prefer.

That's more likely to give you experience in what it really means to be offended to put things in perspective for you.

If it's merely a virtu(e|al) signalling move, well! that's a chickenshit move. Otherwise, I don't care. Someone may need it. Not me.
By the way, the Phoronix is the BuzzFeed of tech circle.

When I was a kid, I learnd not to be offended. There's no hope for grown-ups, they're a lost cause.
First of all, back then nobody cared if I offended or not. The solution: don't offended.
Second, you could get branded as a snowflake, or even to face punishment by your parent or school. At the time, they didn't have time to pander to whining brats. I was raised in wartime in a war zone. We had real problems (not made-up ones), e.g. to not get hit by Scud missile. Being a beta wasn't an option.
Some millennials are a lost cause, too - barking up the wrong tree about GMO foods. The problem is not about food safety at all - but over-production. Food is not smoking, even if you eat smoked meat. The difference is confusion over biochemical pathways, and they never even properly learned about the digestive system, which is frankly third-grade education. Sigh.. Trying to get information over to the public and making sure it even registers correctly - that's a never-ending challenge, and we all have to live with that.

If it's merely a virtu(e|al) signalling move
But do they know what they are actually signalling?

There is a bit of a twist, and I am not sure if people recognize it. Freedom is a birthright, as I said, but comes with responsibility: without understanding the world that surrounds you, freedom is worthless. And this is exactly where open source comes into play. With open source you have the opportunity to understand how it works, and then to make it do what you want. (With closed source you have to do what the manufacurer wants, and pay them for that.)

But that is freedom on a high level already, it concerns intellectually complex things like technology. Lets look at the more basic freedom rights, which concern the abandonment of slavery - those that are indeed natural rights: The right to travel freely on the face of the earth. The right to gather and share with whom you want. Or, most basic, the right to breathe freely.
Ooops! All of these have now already been done away with! And people are happy with that. So, finally, the people of the earth have understood that human rights must be eradicated for safety.
Even better: communcation does now happen online where it is fully logged and overheard. Gatherings happen now either 'virtual', so that they are fully logged, or otherwise all participants are registered and put into a database. We have now complete data about all people, the things they participate, their interests, hobbies and political associations, so at the next crisis we can immediately pinpoint whom to put up against the wall.
What governemts desired for a century has finally become true. Brave new world.

Alright, back to technology. There is a lot of powers who would prefer to get rid of open source. Oh, they certainly like free software, for themselves to exploit. But not for the plebs to run it, or even understand what these are doing. The plebs should just buy a bigger TV.
So, now pan back, what are they indeed signaling? Simply a "Do away with us", or rather "Please integrate us in your government-backdoor-schemes, digital-rights-schemes, and all the like" ?

A subversive move might be to push overt tolerance on the masses in order to polarize the people into further upheaval [make the law seem more restrictive than reality]. Which is what I think I just observed here.

[Increase the apparent restrictions in order to make the law go away, then there's a free for all. A world without laws is murder.]

* It is rather easy for the individual with power, or otherwise already has a basic idea of their own future, to push for a lawless society at the expense of those who are already marginalized.

Back