Solved Chromium, Skype and Microphone

I have got the webcam working, and can use it on chromium and firefox. But I cannot get the microphone working on chromium.

On firefox, when a website asks for microphone access, I can choose from a list of all pcm devices, but chromium does not give that option. I use chromium for skype.

cat /dev/sndstat
Installed devices: pcm0: <Realtek ALC888 (Rear Analog 5.1/2.0)> (play/rec) default pcm1: <Realtek ALC888 (Front Analog)> (play/rec) pcm2: <Realtek ALC888 (Internal Digital)> (play) pcm3: <Realtek ALC888 (Rear Digital)> (play) pcm4: <NVIDIA (0x0080) (HDMI/DP 8ch)> (play) pcm5: <NVIDIA (0x0080) (HDMI/DP 8ch)> (play) pcm6: <NVIDIA (0x0080) (HDMI/DP 8ch)> (play) pcm7: <NVIDIA (0x0080) (HDMI/DP 8ch)> (play) pcm8: <USB audio> (rec) No devices installed from userspace.

sysctl hw.snd.default_unit
hw.snd.default_unit: 0

I presume chromium is using pcm0 only. How can I get chromium to use pcm8 for the microphone?

Thank you.

I believe, current binary chromium still isn't compiled with sndio support but pulseaudio? Do you possibly have audio/pulseaudio and audio/pavucontrol available to cross-check?

Then again, I just checked... I'm quite certain I compiled my chromium with sndio support and a short test with record and playback (via Teams) failed to deliver any recorded audio. I'm quite confident, that it previously worked with pulseaudio, though...

Then again, I just checked... I'm quite certain I compiled my chromium with sndio support and a short test with record and playback (via Teams) failed to deliver any recorded audio. I'm quite confident, that it previously worked with pulseaudio, though...

Yes. Compiled from ports with sndio disabled and pulseaudio enabled. Works a treat, now I can choose which device.

Back