Samba, IPFW, and the internet

I am looking for best practices and see if anyone else is successfully running a similar environment.

Have FreeBSD server that is basically a LAMP environment. That is living on a public IP address and using IPFW to block everything except 80 and 443.

That is all working very well without issue.

Have an inhouse developer that was wondering if having direct access to a development directory from their PC would be possible.

It definitely is using SAMBA. But my question I guess is if everything is configured properly; the server will stay safe.

Internally we have our own firewall separating us from the server. We will have to configure that appropriately as well.

Planning on using specific ips for all rules.

What are other's experiences with such a set up?

Thanks,
Tamer

Have an inhouse developer that was wondering if having direct access to a development directory from their PC would be possible.
Is there a LAN connection between the inhouse developer and the web server? Or is the web server somewhere else (VPS, datacenter, etc)?

Internally we have our own firewall separating us from the server.
Ok, so there's a LAN connection between the server and the developer? Something like this:
Code:
[Internet]---[FW]---[FAMP]---[FW]----[LAN]--[DEV]

Then yes, you can configure the firewall between LAN and FAMP (FreeBSD, Apache, MySQL, PHP) to allow the traffic from the LAN to the FAMP machine. Don't allow connections the other way around (from FAMP to LAN) except the statefull returns of the connections originating on the LAN. For SMB you really only need to allow TCP port 445. The NetBIOS ports 137,138,139, etc. are not required.

smb protocol usually sucks over the internet (chatty and latency). and lots of isps block smb ports so you may need to use openvpn/ipsec/other kind of tunneling
probably a sftp based solution will be better

thanks for your responses. The server is on site. SirDice has almost the right environment set up w/ one simple change:

[internet][ipfw firewall - FAMP]
[SAME Internet][Firewall][developer]

Both networks live on our routing environment. Dev is only 2 hops away.

so, our in-house firewall and the FAMP server have external IPs that are same subnet and port.

I mean, I am thinking the most secure way would be to add another NIC to the [FAMP] box and have an internal NIC and external NIC. But I am trying to avoid that because we are upgrading the server later this year and don't really want to put any physical items in the current box... Maybe just get one of those cheap WIFI USB connections for the server and put that on our internal WIFI...

Thanks,
T

[internet][ipfw firewall - FAMP]
[SAME Internet][Firewall][developer]
Then no, don't open Samba up to the internet. Not even firewalled by IP addresses. In that case I'd probably use a VPN (OpenVPN or Wireguard is simple to set up and use and provides good protection) and force the SMB over the VPN.

Alternatively sshfs(5) might be a good enough solution. Or just a plain simple scp(1)/sftp(1), perhaps using rsync(1). WinSCP is a nice tool for SCP/SFTP on Windows. FileZilla for example should also be able to do SFTP.

thanks....I was thinking that is likely not the best set up.

Will check out OpenVPN.

Currently, they use WinSCP & SSH to access the box.

The next obvious question...What is the biggest difference between OpenVPN & Wireguard?

Thanks

One last question about going the VPN route direction.

I guess I would have to create virtual network to use for the VPN connection. Perhaps I am thinking about it all wrong.

So, usually:
  1. PC on network 1 connects via VPN to network 2
  2. PC is assigned an IP address that is local to network 2
  3. PC sets up route to network 2 via the VPN interface

so, in my case, the FAMP server only has the external IP address.

I am probably missing something here.

But will start trying to set up and see my mileage!
THanks for the info.
T

opevpn creates tunnel interfaces that have their own rfc 1918 ips
you can use those instead of lan ips
just start samba_server after openvpn and bind it only to loopback and tunnel ip

Back