i915kms.ko & fuse problems in 13.0

In my latest attempt to upgrade 12.2 to 13.0 (on a ThinkPad X220) I'm unable to use i915kms.ko and fuse.

Initially the system refuses to boot because /etc/fstab tries to mount a Linux (ext2fs) partition but after commenting it out it boots, however kldload will not load fuse.

Also /boot/modules/i915kms.ko is not supported.

Unfortunately I can't find these msgs in dmesg and have had to try and film the boot process.

I've seen posts mentioning both these problems but unable to find definitive solutions.

In my latest attempt to upgrade 12.2 to 13.0 (on a ThinkPad X220) I'm unable to use i915kms.ko and fuse.
Code:
kld_list="fusefs /boot/modules/i915kms.ko"
Works for me. As was already pointed out, fuse was renamed to fusefs some time ago, 12.2. still tolerated the old name, 13.0 does not.

You have to install it.
Code:
% pkg which /boot/modules/i915kms.ko
/boot/modules/i915kms.ko was installed by package drm-fbsd13-kmod-5.4.92.g20210202
Thanks, I have it working now.

Never come across pkg which before...

You have to install it.
Code:
% pkg which /boot/modules/i915kms.ko
/boot/modules/i915kms.ko was installed by package drm-fbsd13-kmod-5.4.92.g20210202
This pkg works fine with the amd64 release but when installed on the i386 release the screen goes blank when the video mode changes and I need a hard reset to stop the system.

Is there any way to debug what is going on? I can't get any info from any of the logs.

Where would I look to see if anyone else is having similar problems or has found a solution?

This pkg works fine with the amd64 release but when installed on the i386 release the screen goes blank when the video mode changes and I need a hard reset to stop the system.
As I already told you in your other thread about exactly the same problem: This is obviously a bug/crash. I doubt i386/amd64 has anything to do with that, more likely it's happening with the specific graphics chip in that machine.
Is there any way to debug what is going on? I can't get any info from any of the logs.
Kernel output should be in /var/log/messages. If you don't find anything in there, the crash prevents writing to the log.

You could try to obtain kernel output on a serial console in that case. And you could try to collect a kernel crash dump.

upgrade 12.2 to 13.0 (on a ThinkPad X220) I'm unable to use i915kms.ko
Me too but on an old Eee PC (1005HA).

Solution, as above, for i915kms
Code:
pkg install drm-fbsd13-kmod
That brings in "gpu-firmware-kmod" and it is fine now.

As I already told you in your other thread about exactly the same problem: This is obviously a bug/crash. I doubt i386/amd64 has anything to do with that, more likely it's happening with the specific graphics chip in that machine.

Kernel output should be in /var/log/messages. If you don't find anything in there, the crash prevents writing to the log.

You could try to obtain kernel output on a serial console in that case. And you could try to collect a kernel crash dump.
I have installed both the amd64 and i386 releases on the same machine (on different partitions) so both releases are using the same graphics chip.

/var/log/messages does not provide any clues.

As for using a serial console, I've never done that... Looked at the instructions, but I'm damned if I know how to connect a serial port to com1 on my ThinkPad X220... I understand that the last ThinkPad which had an RS232 port was a T30, which I happen to have, but not with me at the moment, so I may give this a try in a week or so.

As for kernel crash dumps, I'm not sure if the system actually crashes as I need to power off to stop it.

If amd64 works fine on this machine, just use it. There's no point to use an i386 system on an amd64 machine.

sd13-kmod[/CODE]

Note no change needed to /etc/rc.conf , remains as follows:
Code:
kld_list="i915kms"

Me too but on an old Eee PC (1005HA).

Solution, as above, for i915kms
Code:
pkg install drm-fbsd13-kmod

Note no change needed to /etc/rc.conf , remains as follows:
Code:
kld_list="i915kms"
After reinstalling graphics/drm-fbsd13-kmod I see that graphics/gpu-firmware-kmod is now installed (didn't see it before) and the system now boots up OK.

Code:
for item in kld_list; do grep $item /important/stuff_to_do_because_of_kld_list_item; done
An upgrade helper like that would be an idea.

If amd64 works fine on this machine, just use it. There's no point to use an i386 system on an amd64 machine.

The intension is to have it available if/when I might need to use my ThinkPad T60 (which I discovered uses a 32 bit CPU)

Just tried the same disk in a ThinkPad X201 and it boots up fine in hi-res, however in X I get a blank screen albeit with a mouse cursor. I need to power off to any response, however a power off does a normal shutdown and cleans up the filesystem, rather than leaving it in a dirty state as it did previously.... although I can't remember changing anything which would have this effect.

You solved my problem intel braswell graphics n3150
install drm-fbsd13-kmod-5.4.92.g20210202 and resolution/graphics work
Thanks

however a power off does a normal shutdown and cleans up the filesystem, rather than leaving it in a dirty state as it did previously.... although I can't remember changing anything which would have this effect.
This is usually a BIOS option. Pressing the power button has two options, instant off and 4 sec delay. If you set it to 4 sec. delay just momentarily pressing the power button will send an ACPI power-off signal to shutdown the machine gracefully. Instant off is, well, instant off. If the ACPI power-off doesn't work (graceful shutdown) you can press and hold the power button for 4 seconds to instantly turn the machine off. You should have this setting in the BIOS to 4 sec. delay. Then just pressing the power button will do a graceful shutdown.

Back