Solved /bin/sh error

I did not change anything on this system. I started the box and I am faced with
11.png

after /rescue/sh, the system asked to run fsck I did but then I am faced with [y/n]. I really don't know what I have to do to solve the issue. I first picked "y" then back to square one as shown below

22.png

I will appreciate some help. Why should I pick "y" or "n" to what end. I just don't know enough.

Thank you,

You should change the thread title, what you have is a severely b0rked filesystem.

Then, your only chance for recovery is, indeed, selecting y here. If you're sure nothing unusual happened (like a forced power-off, some attempt to access the disk from a different system, whatever), then this might be a hardware issue.

Filesystem errors typically come in batches. And you usually want to fix them. So be prepare to enter Y a lot. Or simply run fsck -y and accept any and all fixes.

Agree with Zirias find out why they happened. Sudden power outage? Hit the reset button at the wrong time? Or you could have a disk that's on the verge of dying.

You should change the thread title, what you have is a severely b0rked filesystem.

Then, your only chance for recovery is, indeed, selecting y here. If you're sure nothing unusual happened (like a forced power-off, some attempt to access the disk from a different system, whatever), then this might be a hardware issue.
That yes, I accessed the system from another freebsd machine via ssh.

At least I picked "y" throughout then the system did some auto-checks including "pathnames" and others I can't remember. At the end it displayed "SYSTEM IS CLEAN" or something in that regard. Needless to say, I am smooth sailing over here.

As always, thank you for your attention.

Did I say I love this forum? 👍

Even with a sudden power cut, a UFS file system that uses soft updates and journal should not get interesting fsck problems. I suspect there is something more fundamentally wrong with the underlying storage. I would tread carefully and take lots of backups.

Even with a sudden power cut, a UFS file system that uses soft updates and journal should not get interesting fsck problems. I suspect there is something more fundamentally wrong with the underlying storage. I would tread carefully and take lots of backups.
Thank you for the advise. I have another SATA drive around that I will probably use.

Back