No devices detected/no screens found(EE)

Maybe T-Daemon knew that your kld_list must have been empty & then he was absolutely right to write kld_list="nvidia" and I had better not written that trick, because it confused you...

kld_list+="nvidia" will not work as expected. This syntax can be used with the command line utilty sysrc(8) like this: on a console (aka terminal) type as user root: sysrc kld_list+=" nvidia" (note the space) will append the string nvidia (again note the space) to the variable kld_list in the file rc.conf(5). When you omit the space, the item to add will be merged tightly to the previous items in that variable, without the necessary space between them. That kld_list is, well, a list. The separator between the items of the list is a space.
Very valuable lesson for me. I was sure you made a typo. Thank you.

Very valuable lesson for me. [...] Thank you.
For me too.
kld_list+="nvidia" will not work as expected. [...]
sysrc kld_list+=" nvidia" (note the space) will append the string nvidia (again note the space) to the variable kld_list in the file rc.conf(5). [...]
That kld_list is, well, a list.
Bummer. :'‑(
So one has to check anyway whether the item is already in the list, and do other formatting checks also.
And no -=
Maybe some extra options like --list, --uniqueitems and --separator would help making sysrc more usable.

So one has to check anyway whether the item is already in the list, and do other formatting checks also.
And no -=
Maybe some extra options like --list, --uniqueitems and --separator would help making sysrc more usable.
Please RTFM sysrc(8), sections APPENDING VALUES & SUBTRACTING VALUES.

Additionally, you can always RTSL whereis sysrc and patch it. sysrc(8) is already doing some checks & handling strings smart. That's no surprise since it knows it's handling strings according to sh(1)ell syntax in most cases. And in kld_list duplicates won't hurt, since kernel modules refuse to load twice.
EDIT PS: Maybe some extra RTFM would help making users more BieSDable ;)

Ahh good!
I misinterpreted your post above as if += were just concatenation, didn't get the message that the first char = separator to be used in list.
So that sysrc is actually usable, and if something clobbers the file, I can point to something else :D

Back