Chmod 775 /*, /*/* gdm is not started

I've tried use different option chmod 775 /*, chmod 775 /*/*, (why I can't explain to myself), and then i'm rebooting system, amd gdm is not started. I searched the logs for errors and the only thing I found was "GdmLocalDisplayFactory: maximum number of X display failures reached: check x server log for error" - /var/log/messages. if i use xstart, it works and doesn't give any errors. the truth is what xstar is for, I don't understand. I think that some executable file does not work due to the fact that I misused chmod. i've used also mtree -U -f /etc/mtree/BSD.root.dist, var.dist, unclude.dist, sendmail.dist, usr.dist

Good, now read chmod(1) and sticky(7) and try to understand those permissions (hint: it's the t). Then check if /var/tmp has the sticky bit too (it should).

But I suspect your chmod(1) actions broke a lot more. While you may have restored some of the permissions of the base OS using mtree(8), it's not going to fix anything under /usr/local/, where third party applications (ports/packages) are installed. So your permissions are likely still messed up there.

Probably the easiest way to fix this is to uninstall everything ( pkg delete -af), then rm -rf /usr/local/* and start over.

i read about sticky and chmod and i need to to remove the stick usin command chmod -t /tmp or chmod 1777 /tmp?
Both /var/tmp and /tmp are supposed to have a sticky bit. So it's correct already, I was hoping you would come to that conclusion on your own.

unfortunately it didn't help
Both /var/tmp and /tmp are supposed to have a sticky bit. So it's correct already, I was hoping you would come to that conclusion on your own.
when I turn on the system, instead of starting gdm, it displays a black screen

Do you think I should reinstall the system completely or deal with the consequences?
No need to reinstall the whole system. Just remove all packages; pkg delete -af, then remove any remnants from /usr/local/* (make sure to backup important configuration files from /usr/local/etc/ if you have them). And install the packages you need again. The installation of the packages will recreate the required directories and will set all the permissions correctly again.

No need to reinstall the whole system. Just remove all packages; pkg delete -af, then remove any remnants from /usr/local/* (make sure to backup important configuration files from /usr/local/etc/ if you have them). And install the packages you need again. The installation of the packages will recreate the required directories and will set all the permissions correctly again.
i used the method you described, rebooted the system and now i cant login to the console, login incorrect

Back