i915kms package breaks on 12.2-RELEASE (workaround - build from ports)

Maybe, maybe not. If the ABI/KBI doesn't change then it's not going to be problem. Since none of us can predict the future we'll just have to wait and see.

This "problem" will resolve itself in February, when 12.1 is EoL.
I just upgrade from 12.1 to 12.2 today, Feb 14th, and got bitten by this too. My system defaulted to the Vesa driver and I had vague memories of reading about this issue so it was a reletively quick fix for me to manually rebuild the relevant ports. It seems the "fix" hasn't made it to the pkg repository yet. Or at least the upgrade process doesn't check for or upgrade that port. pkg upgrade didn't offer it.

It seems the "fix" hasn't made it to the pkg repository yet. Or at least the upgrade process doesn't check for or upgrade that port. pkg upgrade didn't offer it.
There is no "fix", there is no new version. The only thing that's different is that it's now being built for 12.2. pkg install -f drm-fbsd12.0-kmod will force a reinstall.

Did an upgrade from 12.1 to 12.2 last Friday. All went smoothly, but I disabled the drm driver until 12.2 was definitively installed (two reboots needed). Then, I ran pkg upgrade (from latest repository). No problem so far.

(two reboots needed).
I honestly never reboot in between. Just keep running freebsd-update install until it tells you there's nothing left to do. You may want to force a reinstall of everything, just to be sure; pkg upgrade -f (so you get the freshly built 12.2 packages for everything). Don't forget pkg autoremove to clean up any old dependencies. Then reboot.

Yes, I certainly do more reboots than really needed. Whenever I upgrade something, I reboot since I had some bad surprises in the past. Because without this practice, if after a reboot something goes wrong, it's more difficult to find a workable BE (if such a BE remains) and what is the exact origin of the problem.

Thanks for your advices.

So far, in all the years I've been running FreeBSD there was only one occasion where you absolutely had to boot the new kernel before running installworld (binary upgrades didn't exist back then), and that was because of the UFS1 -> UFS2 change of FreeBSD 5.0. Of course I read that note in /usr/src/UPDATING after I screwed everything up :D

Back