Installing Xorg on lenovo Thinkpad t480

I followed the manual for setting up xorg on a new install of FreeBSD 12.2. I used the pkg install method. I then tried the command StartX but get a server error (1). It stays cannot run in framebuffer mode. Please specify busIDs.

I tried finding the xorg.conf file but it doesn't seem to exist. How do I troubleshoot this? I am new to FreeBSD. My goal is to install Gnome3.

Thanks

Would I
Hello,

have you installed your graphics drivers yet?

To install gpu drivers you need to install them from ports because you are using 12.2:

cd /usr/ports/graphics/drm-kmod
make install clean

(I assume that you have Intel Graphics) After installation put kld_list="/boot/modules/i915kms.ko" in /etc/rc.conf and make sure that your $USER is in the video group.
Should I use the portsnap method to install with ports? I haven't installed the ports tree yet. Would it be a problem to use the ports and also use packages for installing other things?

Would I

Should I use the portsnap method to install with ports? I haven't installed the ports tree yet. Would it be a problem to use the ports and also use packages for installing other things?

If you only install the gpu driver its fine.

You can use portsnap or svnlite checkout https://svn.FreeBSD.org/ports/head /usr/ports

As per our wonderful documentation, you can use portmaster to install drivers from the tree. You can use this site as a reference when traversing through the tree using the command line. It's just a matter of finding the port location, then pointing portmaster to it.

I dont' know what is wrong, but I think I installed drm-kmod and I put kld_list="/boot/modules/i915kms.ko" in /etc/rc.conf and make sure that your $USER is in the video group.

I installed Xorg using the ports. But when I type startx it says server terminated with error(1). Unable to connect to X server. Connection refused. Server error.

then I tried installing Xorg as a package. But it still doesn't work. Should I setup my system from scratch and start over? How can I figure out what is wrong and how to fix it?

I installed Xorg using the ports. But when I type startx it says server terminated with error(1). Unable to connect to X server. Connection refused. Server error.

then I tried installing Xorg as a package. But it still doesn't work.
First of all don't mix ports with packages, unless you know what your doing, which is not your case right now, so stay with the packages.
Second, if you are forced to use some ports to build your package don't mix QUARTERLY packages with HEAD ports, use quarterly ports.
Third: since is a bug in graphics/drm-fbsd12.0-kmod the user is forced to build/install this module from ports. Also to build this module kernel sources are required in /usr/src.
Code:
# cd /usr/ports/
# rm -r {*,.*}
# pkg install subversion
# svn checkout https://svn.FreeBSD.org/ports/branches/2021Q1/ /usr/ports
# svn checkout https://svn.freebsd.org/base/releng/12.2 /usr/src
# cd /usr/ports/graphics/drm-fbsd12.0-kmod
# make package
# cd /work/pkg
# pkg add drm-fbsd12.0-kmod-4.16.g20201016.txz
# cd ../.. && make clean

Thanks, I was almost ready to give up.
But I have a problem. When I typed this command it said I can't remove the ,.- -- rm -r {*,.*}
So I skipped this step. Will this be a problem?

First of all don't mix ports with packages, unless you know what your doing, which is not your case right now, so stay with the packages.
Second, if you are forced to use some ports to build your package don't mix QUARTERLY packages with HEAD ports, use quarterly ports.
Third: since is a bug in graphics/drm-fbsd12.0-kmod the user is forced to build/install this module from ports. Also to build this module kernel sources are required in /usr/src.
Code:
# cd /usr/ports/
# rm -r {*,.*}
# pkg install subversion
# svn checkout https://svn.FreeBSD.org/ports/branches/2021Q1/ /usr/ports
# svn checkout https://svn.freebsd.org/base/releng/12.2 /usr/src
# cd /usr/ports/graphics/drm-fbsd12.0-kmod
# make package
# cd /work/pkg
# pkg add drm-fbsd12.0-kmod-4.16.g20201016.txz
# cd ../.. && make clean

Thanks, I was almost ready to give up.
But I have a problem. When I typed this command it said I can't remove the ,.- -- rm -r {*,.*}
So I skipped this step. Will this be a problem?
To be precisely it says:
rm: "." and ".." may not be removed
, but if you issue ls command in /usr/ports you'll see that that folder is empty. Just follow those instructions and the kernel module should be build without problems.

After finishing the steps above, do I then do this?......

After installation put kld_list="/boot/modules/i915kms.ko" in /etc/rc.conf and make sure that your $USER is in the video group.

Also, when I try cd /work/pkg it says No such file or directory. Should I use mkdir to make this directory? If so, do I go to root first to make the directory?
To be precisely it says: , but if you issue ls command in /usr/ports you'll see that that folder is empty. Just follow those instructions and the kernel module should be build without problems.

My mistake it's just cd work/pkg without first slash.
PS: Since you have difficulties installing/configuring vanilla FreeBSD why did you did not give GhostBSD a try first to familiarize yourself with FreeBSD.

By the way, do you have an .xinit or .xsessions file? If you don't have a desktop or window manager configured, it may fail to start. For example, if using open box you'd have, at minimum, a $HOME/.xinit file that read
Code:
exec start openbox-session

My mistake it's just cd work/pkg without first slash.
PS: Since you have difficulties installing/configuring vanilla FreeBSD why did you did not give GhostBSD a try first to familiarize yourself with FreeBSD.
I am considering going with GhostBSD to learn the ropes of FreeBSD. Perhaps I should use GhostBSD and then use a virtual machine in GhostBSD to run FreeBSD 12.2 and try to install from scratch that way.

I'm running FreeBSD 12.1 when I heard that i915 is having issues with the next minor release, I decided to wait until EOL date is up and proceed with the update. Did you by chance install the xf86-video-intel package since I'm not sure if you're running older intel GPU since mine is from 2008.

I'm running FreeBSD 12.1 when I heard that i915 is having issues with the next minor release, I decided to wait until EOL date is up and proceed with the update. Did you by chance install the xf86-video-intel package since I'm not sure if you're running older intel GPU since mine is from 2008.
I am not sure about the xf8-video-intel package. I don't think I installed it. I should consider installing 12.1. If I install 12.1 are you saying I won't have these problems with Xorg?

That's what I would suggest since I've read that 12.2 broke i915 until packages for it is ready that's why you need to build the drm modules from the port tree. Recently I've had issues with X as well but that's with KDE not loading the desktop with a black screen drm reports GPU hung errors which I basically had to switch to Xfce to get a working environment since there's not much out there when I search for them.

Back