KDE crashed, now no launching...

KDE on my Dell AIO had a crash upon login today (see pic). Now when I log in, all I see is a black screen with a mouse cursor. Yesterday I cloned the 2012 HDD to a new SSD and it was fine. But this morning I have no desktop. But... the lockscreen locks if I leave the PC alone.

Everything appears to be in order. Any suggestions?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210104-151756_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20210104-151756_Gallery.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 115
Yesterday I cloned the 2012 HDD to a new SSD and it was fine
Hmm... What about re-installing KDE? Maybe not everything went fine.

pkg remove your-kde-packages
pkg autoremove
pkg install your-kde-packages

That didn't do it. I went back and there was no proc in the fstab, but adding that didn't change anything.

Unless it's gpu drivers. I wonder if the drivers for Xeon E3-1200 are hurt.

It all looks good. I have no idea why this sucker just stopped working.

Attachments

• 20210104_165356.jpg
    20210104_165356.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 753
I reinstalled FreeBSD and it's doing the same stupid thing. Did I mess something up? This is crazy.

How do you have KDE installed?

BTW, sddm uses now wayland as default, switch to x11.

By just selecting "Plasma" instead of "Plasma (Wayland)"

How do you have KDE installed?

BTW, sddm uses now wayland as default, switch to x11.

By just selecting "Plasma" instead of "Plasma (Wayland)"
Sorry for the delay, I had some personal things to get through before I got back to this. How do I select Plasma vs Plasma (Wayland)? I don't see any reference to this in the handbook.

Edit: I'm an idiot. I saw it on the KDE login page. Wayland is not selected. I tried Wayland, but it does the same thing; black screen then back to the login prompt.

Looking at the KDE discussions, I am not the only one having an issue. I will attempt a fresh install once more, after that I'll just wait another week or so to see if any changes have come down. I have gone over the handbook and a few kde install guides, everything is in order. It should boot. But it will not. I'll edit this after the install. I have slow internet, it'll take a bit.

Edit: This sucks. Black screen. After a fresh install. It is surprising that this magically stopped working overnight. I know KDE recommends 6GB RAM, but even with 4GB and an SSD, I was well within great RAM usage (not even half a GB with a browser running). Then POOF! it's gone. /cry

Back