HEADS UP: FreeBSD changing from Subversion to Git this weekend

Also there's one on Codeberg:

The mirror exist on GitHub since years already. The one on GitLab that is new.
the GitHub - mirror is out of sync .
while
Gitlab is on sync.
the old GitHub master branch will not be updated no more,
it was the import of SVN and lwhsu made the last commit to it.
the new branch is called main whereas the old GitHub was called master.
So as long as there is no branch called main on Github, it's out of sync.

the GitHub - mirror is out of sync .
while
Gitlab is on sync.
the old GitHub master branch will not be updated no more,
it was the import of SVN an lwhsu made the last commit to it.
the new branch is called main whereas the old GitHub was called master.
So as long as there is no branch called main on Github, it's out of sync.
Hmm...

ucomp

I just asked @lwhsu and he told me there are some TODOs before syncing with GitHub, and this (GitHub) issue is likely to be resolved next week.

• Thanks
Reactions: a6h
ucomp

I just asked @lwhsu and he told me there are some TODOs before syncing with GitHub, and this (GitHub) issue is likely to be resolved next week.
yes, I was also told that it will be solved but we can use gitlab today and I doubt that main will be "pluggable" into master and even would make no sense to confuse branch names. So rebasing seems a must (for those who used the master-branch in the past)

yes, I was also told that it will be solved but we can use gitlab today and I doubt that main will be "pluggable" into master and even would make no sense to confuse branch names. So rebasing seems a must (for those who used the master-branch in the past)
I've been using the GitLab one since it is considerably faster for me.

[EDIT] Btw, the JetBrains Space looks kinda cool.

I've been using the GitLab one since it is considerably faster for me.

[EDIT] Btw, the JetBrains Space looks kinda cool.
`made my GitHub-src-mirror with gitlab, was a one-click-thing, not bad.
jetbrainsSpace really looks interesting and feature-rich, similar pricing like gitlab incl. Free-plan, maybe an idea for you to open up a freebsd-official account on JetBrains-space?

`made my GitHub-src-mirror with gitlab, was a one-click-thing, not bad.
jetbrainsSpace really looks interesting and feature-rich, similar pricing like gitlab incl. Free-plan, maybe an idea for you to open up a freebsd-official account on JetBrains-space?
I suppose there is no enough space quota on Free for everything FreeBSD, similar to Bitbucket.

I suppose there is no enough space quota on Free for everything FreeBSD, similar to Bitbucket.
true, they don't for free : https://www.jetbrains.com/community/opensource/#support
whereas gitlab seems to do, if I understand correctly :
currently afaik FreeBSD doesn't use Enterprise features on gitlab, I could see that because of missing (smaller) features when logged in.

true, they don't for free : https://www.jetbrains.com/community/opensource/#support
whereas gitlab seems to do, if I understand correctly :
currently afaik FreeBSD doesn't use Enterprise features on gitlab, I could see that because of missing (smaller) features when logged in.
I created an account on Space and at least on the Free version there is no way to make a repository public (probably possible on premises). This is quite Corporation focused - nice for internal use.

I created an account on Space and at least on the Free version there is no way to make a repository public (probably possible on premises). This is quite Corporation focused - nice for internal use.
yeh, it's actually a pity, that jetbrains has to make a living exclusively of per-user-fees. yes,they plan 'on premise' but I`m quite sure: only with license fees.I was surprised about gitlab , multiple mirror- setups,private/public, all for free....
by the way, your friend has set the old master to the attik:
https://github.com/freebsd/freebsd-legacy .
..e.g with gitlab it were a one-click to setup a the new main-mirror to GitHub... so new gitHub-mirror will come soon I guess.

This guy does not know what he's talking about, at least not always. Example: His use of Edward Snowden's PRISM slide. He claims that Microsoft and many other providers have cooperated with the NSA and provided data to the NSA, and singles out Microsoft for particular scorn as having been the first one. This statement is false. What really happened is that starting in the early 2000s, the NSA (and presumable other agencies, in particular in countries other than the US) tapped communications lines within the systems of the large providers (often with the willing help of telecommunications companies, AT&T in particular), and were able to obtain content from the providers such as Microsoft (hotmail!) without their consent.

If you follow his advice to not do business with any company that supplies the US military, US intelligence agencies, or the US immigration system, you might as well become Robinson Crusoe and move to an island by yourself.

And all this discussion about GitHub is pointless anyway. The FreeBSD source control system doesn't rely on GitHub, it just places a copy of the source code on GitHub. Given that FreeBSD is freely distributable, anyone else can download the source code and place it on GitHub themselves, as long as they leave the copyright notice intact.

This guy does not know what he's talking about, at least not always.
This does not even deserve a differenciated critique. Only 20 years ago it would have been dismissed rightaway, or attributed to some extremist fanatics - but nowadays, well, it's Berlin. Berlin seems to attract all kind of that ilk, maybe because the reigning governement there is the shining role model for such imbecility.

If you follow his advice to not do business with any company that supplies the US military, US intelligence agencies, or the US immigration system, you might as well become Robinson Crusoe and move to an island by yourself.
That's the problem with these hipsters. They have some highly ambitions ethical ideals which they violently propagate, while at the same time themselves living a life full of contradictions to their ideals - and it doesn't matter to them, because they grew up getting spoon-fed with everything and never needed to take any kind of personal responsibility.

• Thanks
Reactions: a6h
I don't want to down play the role of computer security experts in our society. It's real job, real title, but very rare. It's a complicated business. It demands vast amount of skills, experience and intelligence. The last one is the tough one. It's more a biologic matter. Very similar to game developers. I'm not talking about Unity-kiddies. The real ones. John Carmack come into my mind. You have to be polymath. You can't just learn to code, or pay to learn.

Once upon of time, we had computer security expert inflation. They were all over place. It was a cool title. Men like titles. Not in this case, but generally titles maybe improve their chance of getting a date. Most of them have moved on. They are SEO expert now. Some of them are still on the job, spreading nonsense.

Many years ago, a random clown (raw socket hater) on the internet, accused Microsoft of deliberately putting WMF vulnerability into Windows. He was roasted a few days later. He's still around. Dude is a podcaster now. Typical! These are your typical security bloggers and experts. Generally it's better to ignore them all together.

....maybe because the reigning governement there is the shining role model for such imbecility.
🤔

I would have a better example
for an `imbecility`- role-model :
spamming a technical git-conversion-thread with
e.g. SEO-links to imbecility-reports and never stopping talking about things which have absolutely nothing to do with git.
Nothing against free speech but at this level it is impossible to go into FreeBSD details.

I don't care, not my forum and everyone can do what they want, I never say others what they have to do and I make mistakes too
, but you don't do anybody a favor by destroying discussions with political crap. just my few cents.

sorry for the clarity

Finally! I'm very delighted that FreeBSD Project now use Git. I hope more developers participate this project! 😃😃😃

spamming a technical git-conversion-thread with
e.g. SEO-links to imbecility-reports
I'm not a spammer nor into politics and i don't care about government business. I posted, because i wanted to hear some other thoughts about security(of course technical matter) of Github and MS involvement in Github. Ralphbsz's answer "Given that FreeBSD is freely distributable, anyone else can download the source code and place it on GitHub themselves, as long as they leave the copyright notice intact. " makes some sense. Didn't mean to upset your conversation..maybe i should have opened another thread.

...... anyone else can download the source code and place it on GitHub themselves, ...
I'm quite sure that as good as no one of the interested git-newcomers here did understand how to " download and place"( 😁 ) src on GitHub or anywhere else today.
you can guess 3 times why that is.
are you interested in compiling the FreeBSD source code ?
if yes, , please try it out ,
I'm taking a first hint: it's not called " download and place",
it's called fork, clone or mirror .

I'm taking a first hint: it's not called " download and place",
it's called fork, clone or mirror .
He was using more generic terms, because FreeBSD’s license allows exactly that: downloading the code and placing it somewhere else, whether it be GitHub, a P2P network or an FTP server. In Git terms this is called “cloning”, but basically it also boils down to downloading data from one machine and placing it on another machine.

... a P2P network ...
first entry is FreeBSD 9.0 on https://thepiratebay.org/search.php?q=freebsd&all=on&search=Pirate+Search&page=0&orderby= ,
yeah, I guess that's the way to go 🤣 ...just kidding..

....FTP server....
yeah, that's an interesting choice ( not kidding this time).
there's a special FTP called TFTP.
are you willing to explain to user `geos' in which case it could be interesting to download and place ;-) src(-images) exactly there ?
... but basically it also boils down to downloading data from one machine and placing it on another machine.
....or with git from one machine or many machines to thousands of other machines...

Regards

there's a special FTP called TFTP.
Wrong, TFTP is not a special variant of FTP. They have little in common. But that’s irrelevant for this topic anyway.

are you willing to explain to user `geos' in which case it could be interesting to download and place ;-) src(-images) exactly there ?
In fact FreeBSD (source and binaries) is available from many FTP servers.

But what is your point exactly? Maybe you should read again what ralphbsz wrote, because I think you didn’t get his point, even though you quote him again and again.

Maybe you should read again what ralphbsz wrote, because I think you didn’t get his point, even though you quote him again and again.
I think we're talking past each other,
I haven't even read oder answered
ralphbsz`s posts, what do you mean with "I quote him" ??? no clue what you mean ...did I click a quote-button accidentally or so?, no clue 🤔

TFTP is not a special variant of FTP. They have little in common. But that’s irrelevant for this topic anyway.

In fact FreeBSD (source and binaries) is available from many FTP servers.

But what is your point exactly?
I thought you knew what TFTP has to do with compiled kernel-images
and thought that perhaps you were interested in talking about git, compiling src
and what we do with it. So that was my point, my point was not comparing the difference of FTP to TFTP-protocol details.
--
so, misunderstandings aside, and for the interested:
TFTP is e.g. used for netbooting compiled kernel images.

I think we're talking past each other,
I haven't even read oder answered
ralphbsz`s posts, what do you mean with "I quote him" ??? no clue what you mean ...did I click a quote-button accidentally or so?, no clue 🤔
You keep trying to dispute the words “download and place” – these are ralphbsz’s words.

I do know what TFTP is. I started using it 30 years ago for booting Emulex terminal servers.
But I don’t know how it would be relevant to this thread. It has nothing to do with Git, or with distributing FreeBSD code. If you want to talk about TFTP, you should open a new thread.

Back