Solved GDM crashing after Gnome-3 packages upgraded to 3.36 version. I get a screen "Oh no! Something has gone wrong"

This is a clean installation of 12.1 RELEASE version. I updated pkg and latest Gnome-3 packages including gnome-shell were downloaded and installed. Some packages were re-installed, after pkg prompting to do so. But, the gdm screen ends with this white error message.

index.jpeg

What I did was, clearing ~/. gnome related files hoping it will fix. But, it couldn't fix the gdm crash. I tried with ~/.xinitrc with gnome-session line. If I run startx, Gnome gets started. However, there are many Consolekit2 related warnings and error messages. I tried launching gnome-terminal in the gnome-shell session, but it did not launch. Attaching the logs.
Code:
 cat  /mnt/var/log/gdm/\:0-greeter.log
dbus-daemon[82728]: [session uid=92 pid=82728] Activating service name='org.a11y.Bus' requested by ':1.0' (uid=92 pid=83351 comm="/usr/local/libexec/gnome-session-check-accelerated")
dbus-daemon[82728]: [session uid=92 pid=82728] Successfully activated service 'org.a11y.Bus'
gnome-session-binary 83053 - - WARNING: Unable to find required component 'org.gnome.SettingsDaemon.Clipboard'
gnome-session-binary 83053 - - WARNING: Unable to find required component 'org.gnome.SettingsDaemon.Mouse'
gnome-session-failed: environment corrupt; missing value for GNOME_SESSION_AUTOSTART_DIR
dbus-daemon[84303]: Activating service name='org.a11y.atspi.Registry' requested by ':1.1' (uid=92 pid=84697 comm="/usr/local/libexec/gnome-session-failed --allow-lo")
dbus-daemon[84303]: Successfully activated service 'org.a11y.atspi.Registry'
SpiRegistry daemon is running with well-known name - org.a11y.atspi.Registry
gnome-session-binary 83053 - - WARNING: GsmConsoleKit: Calling GetSessionClass failed.
gnome-session-binary 83053 - - WARNING: Could not get session class: Operation not permitted
gnome-session-binary 83053 - - WARNING: Lost name on bus: org.gnome.SessionManager
Will not Gnome-3.38 work with Consolekit2?

Attachments

• dmesg.txt
    9.1 KB · Views: 253
  • messages.txt
    146.7 KB · Views: 251
  • Consolekit-history.txt
    3 KB · Views: 246
When I login directly using startx, I tried launching gnome-terminal which failed. This is the log I got:
Code:
# Error constructing proxy for org.gnome.Terminal:/org/gnome/Terminal/Factory0: Error calling StartServiceByName for org.gnome.Terminal: Process org.gnome.Terminal exited with status 8                                                       

# Error constructing proxy for org.gnome.Terminal:/org/gnome/Terminal/Factory0: Error calling StartServiceByName for org.gnome.Terminal: Process org.gnome.Terminal exited with status 8

Gnome-shell logs (from virtual console tty1):
Code:
GNOME Shell-Message: 22:25:45.855: GNOME Shell started at Sat Oct 10 2020 22:25:42 GMT+0530 (IST)                                                                                                                                               

GNOME Shell-Message: 22:25:45.856: Registering session with GDM                                                                                                                                                                                 

GNOME Shell-Message: 22:25:45.859: Not calling RegisterSession(): method not exported, GDM too old?                                                                                                                                             
 Oct 10 22:21:00 fbsd console-kit-daemon[16394]: WARNING: Error waiting for native console 1 activation: Inappropriate ioctl for device                                                                                                         

Oct 10 22:21:04 fbsd gnome-session-binary[16901]: WARNING: Unable to find required component 'org.gnome.SettingsDaemon.Clipboard'                                                                                                               

Oct 10 22:21:04 fbsd gnome-session-binary[16901]: WARNING: Unable to find required component 'org.gnome.SettingsDaemon.Mouse'                                                                                                                   

Oct 10 22:25:27 fbsd console-kit-daemon[16394]: WARNING: Error waiting for native console 1 activation: Inappropriate ioctl for device                                                                                                         

Oct 10 22:25:27 fbsd console-kit-daemon[16394]: WARNING: Error waiting for native console 9 activation: Inappropriate ioctl for device                                                                                                         

Oct 10 22:25:36 fbsd console-kit-daemon[16394]: WARNING: Error waiting for native console 1 activation: Inappropriate ioctl for device
Code:
22:21:00 fbsd console-kit-daemon[16394]: WARNING: Error waiting for native console 1 activation: Inappropriate ioctl for device                                                                                                         

Oct 10 22:21:04 fbsd gnome-session-binary[16901]: WARNING: Unable to find required component 'org.gnome.SettingsDaemon.Clipboard'                                                                                                               

Oct 10 22:21:04 fbsd gnome-session-binary[16901]: WARNING: Unable to find required component 'org.gnome.SettingsDaemon.Mouse'

I tried, disabling gdm and used lightdm instead. Lightdm worked and I can launch gnome-shell. But, there are some black artefacts that kind of disrupts the looks of window close button. Also, many apps simply will not work. I did not looked into logs, yet. But, seems like Consolekit related.

UPDATE: With the latest pkg updates on gdm fixed the issue. I have removed lightdm & co and re-installed gdm and it worked. However, many apps are not working, core dumped and exits. Nautilus FM crashed until I manually installed tracker-miners dependency.

Still, keyboard is not setup properly. If I press shift+3, it shows £ sign instead of hash. In /etc/rc.conf, I've keymap="us.kbd" .
Weird artefacts in the windows radio buttons. Sometimes squares appear in the screen. This happened only after the latest update. Keyboard, fonts issues.
Screenshot from 2020-10-11 15-20-47.png

OT: And, Gnome-3.38 made bash shell as a dependency!🙄

I can confirm these weird distorted elements appear in the UI. I chose the "Gnome" icons set to get rid of them.
I have tried Tango icon set, but no luck. Gnome icon set is not available? EDIT: I tried Gnome and it seems working. Thank you @rumate.
Many small things are not working. For example, I cannot press SHIFT+mouse LEFT button to capture screenshot.

Regarding the distorted buttons, I launched gnome-control-centre>sound>Test and this is how it's showing:
Screenshot from 2020-10-11 16-12-09.png

Hi

I am facing the same error since yesterday after pkg upgrade.
I am able to do single user login but unable to do gdm pkg upgrade from there.
Attaching greeter.log screenshot!

What is the issue with gnome?

Thanks
Ravi

Attachments

• 70FFF55A-D8CD-4AC7-A662-A539CF740157.jpg
    70FFF55A-D8CD-4AC7-A662-A539CF740157.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 472
rumate: After installing gnome-icon-theme ?& gnome-icon-theme-extras and selecting the gnome icons through gnome-tweaks, the distorted elements in buttons seems to be solved.
Now, volume control slider is not working. I am using mixertui > pcm to control volume. pavucontrol isn't working too.
--
Meanwhile, latest Gnome-3.38 showed the suspend button and it works! They fixed gdm error fast and now, almost all things are working except shift+left click (mouse).
I have a doubt, how to know, if Gnome-shell is running wayland or X11?

Keyboard issues also resolved, after a reboot. I'm not sure how. But, earlier locale was not working and falling back to "C". Now, it's showing. Should I report about Nautilus wanting the port tracker-miners and without which it fails to launch? Marked the thread as solved, since the main issue is resolved.

UPDATE: With the latest pkg updates on gdm fixed the issue. I have removed lightdm & co and re-installed gdm and it worked. However, many apps are not working, core dumped and exits. Nautilus FM crashed until I manually installed tracker-miners dependency.

Still, keyboard is not setup properly. If I press shift+3, it shows £ sign instead of hash. In /etc/rc.conf, I've keymap="us.kbd" .
Weird artefacts in the windows radio buttons. Sometimes squares appear in the screen. This happened only after the latest update. Keyboard, fonts issues.
View attachment 8578

OT: And, Gnome-3.38 made bash shell as a dependency!🙄

Hi

After reinstall of gdm, upon reboot my workstation keeps on booting in a loop without going to login screen. Am I missing anything?

Thanks
Ravi

Hi

After reinstall of gdm, upon reboot my workstation keeps on booting in a loop without going to login screen. Am I missing anything?

Thanks
Ravi
Not an expert. You may try removing Xorg, Gnome completely including dependencies (pkg autoremove) and also clear the config files in ~/ directory and then, re-install xorg, followed by gnome3-lite. Make sure your /etc/rc.conf contains hal, dbus, gnome, gdm enabled. Also, make sure /usr/local/etc/gdm/custom.conf has WaylandEnable=false uncommented.

@rumate: The distorted buttons in GDM is not yet fixed. Any idea, which icon package will possibly fix that.
I stopped at Gnome Theme icons so far, as it was available in my system. At least, window title bar buttons look fine. Some corrupted icons can be seen inside the windows related to gnome configuration. I'm going to wait until it's fixed, for the bug report is filed already. I suspect this bug has something to do with package build options or gnome dependencies.

From yesterday, a delay of about 30 seconds (approx) to load gnome-shell after login from GDM login window. I've tried moving ~/.config/dconf/user, but the delay between gdm and gnome-session loading is not solved.
What I can find from logs:
Code:
:~% gdm-password] 25123 - - gkr-pam: unable to locate daemon control file                                                                                                                                                             

gdm-password] 25123 - - gkr-pam: stashed password to try later in open session                                                                                                                                                                 

gdm-password] 25123 - - gkr-pam: unable to locate daemon control file                                                                                                                                                                           

gdm-password] 25123 - - gkr-pam: gnome-keyring-daemon started properly and unlocked keyring                                                                                                                                                     

gdm 17976 - - Failed to remove greeter program access to the display. Trying to proceed.   

gdm-password] 85581 - - gkr-pam: unable to locate daemon control file                                                                                                                                                                           

gdm-password] 85581 - - gkr-pam: stashed password to try later in open session                                                                                                                                                                 

gdm-password] 85581 - - gkr-pam: gnome-keyring-daemon started properly and unlocked keyring                                                                                                                                                     

Oct 22 22:57:11 fbsd gnome-session-binary[79646]: WARNING: Lost name on bus: org.gnome.SessionManager                                                                                                                                           

gdm 77568 - - Failed to remove greeter program access to the display. Trying to proceed.                                                                                                                                                       

Oct 22 22:57:11 fbsd gdm[77568]: Failed to remove greeter program access to the display. Trying to proceed.                                                                                                                                     

Oct 22 22:57:11 fbsd gnome-session-binary[86999]: WARNING: Could not parse desktop file org.gnome.SettingsDaemon.Rfkill.desktop or it references a not found TryExec binary

and relevant parts of /var/log/messages is attached.

Attachments

• messages.txt
    17.2 KB · Views: 209
Saw the /var/log/:0-greeter.log contains some warnings:
Code:
dbus-daemon[83665]: [session uid=92 pid=83665] Activating service name='org.a11y.Bus' requested by ':1.0' (uid=92 pid=83990 comm="/usr/local/libexec/gnome-session-check-accelerated")
dbus-daemon[83665]: [session uid=92 pid=83665] Successfully activated service 'org.a11y.Bus'
gnome-session-binary 83753 - - WARNING: Could not parse desktop file org.gnome.SettingsDaemon.Rfkill.desktop or it references a not found TryExec binary
gnome-session-binary 83753 - - WARNING: Could not parse desktop file org.gnome.SettingsDaemon.Wacom.desktop or it references a not found TryExec binary
gnome-session-binary 83753 - - WARNING: Could not parse desktop file orca-autostart.desktop or it references a not found TryExec binary

(gnome-shell:84149): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: 01:37:51.627: g_type_add_instance_private: assertion 'private_size > 0' failed

(gnome-shell:84149): mutter-WARNING **: 01:37:51.628: Failed to query property: no udev support
dbus-daemon[83665]: [session uid=92 pid=83665] Activating service name='org.freedesktop.portal.IBus' requested by ':1.8' (uid=92 pid=84160 comm="ibus-daemon --panel disable --xim ")
dbus-daemon[83665]: [session uid=92 pid=83665] Successfully activated service 'org.freedesktop.portal.IBus'
dbus-daemon[84128]: Activating service name='org.a11y.atspi.Registry' requested by ':1.2' (uid=92 pid=84359 comm="/usr/local/libexec/ibus-x11 --kill-daemon ")
dbus-daemon[84128]: Successfully activated service 'org.a11y.atspi.Registry'
SpiRegistry daemon is running with well-known name - org.a11y.atspi.Registry
GNOME Shell-Message: 01:37:55.862: Failed to create file /usr/local/etc/gdm/home/.cache/gnome-shell-disable-extensions: Error opening file “/usr/local/etc/gdm/home/.cache/gnome-shell-disable-extensions”: File exists
dbus-daemon[83665]: [session uid=92 pid=83665] Activating service name='org.gnome.Shell.Notifications' requested by ':1.7' (uid=92 pid=84149 comm="/usr/local/bin/gnome-shell ")
dbus-daemon[83665]: [session uid=92 pid=83665] Successfully activated service 'org.gnome.Shell.Notifications'
GNOME Shell-Message: 01:37:56.085: Could not get properties from org.freedesktop.locale1
GNOME Shell-Message: 01:37:56.087: Failed to get PolKit permission: Polkit.Error: GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.PolicyKit1.Error.Failed: Action org.freedesktop.bolt.enroll is not registered

** (gnome-shell:84149): WARNING **: 01:37:56.098: Error checking authorization for action id org.freedesktop.bolt.enroll: GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.PolicyKit1.Error.Failed: Action org.freedesktop.bolt.enroll is not registered

(gsd-media-keys:85311): media-keys-plugin-WARNING **: 01:37:57.001: Failed to grab accelerator for keybinding settings:playback-random

(gsd-media-keys:85311): media-keys-plugin-WARNING **: 01:37:57.001: Failed to grab accelerator for keybinding settings:playback-repeat

(gsd-media-keys:85311): media-keys-plugin-WARNING **: 01:37:57.001: Failed to grab accelerator for keybinding settings:hibernate

(gsd-media-keys:85311): media-keys-plugin-WARNING **: 01:37:57.001: Failed to grab accelerator for keybinding settings:rotate-video-lock

(gsd-media-keys:85311): media-keys-plugin-WARNING **: 01:37:57.001: Failed to grab accelerator for keybinding settings:rfkill
GNOME Shell-Message: 01:37:57.515: Registering session with GDM
GNOME Shell-Message: 01:37:57.536: Not calling RegisterSession(): method not exported, GDM too old?

** (gnome-shell:84149): WARNING **: 01:38:01.774: Error checking authorization for action id org.freedesktop.bolt.enroll: GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.PolicyKit1.Error.Failed: Action org.freedesktop.bolt.enroll is not registered

** (gnome-shell:84149): WARNING **: 01:38:01.774: Error checking authorization for action id org.freedesktop.bolt.enroll: GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.PolicyKit1.Error.Failed: Action org.freedesktop.bolt.enroll is not registered

** (gnome-shell:84149): WARNING **: 01:38:01.777: Error checking authorization for action id org.freedesktop.bolt.enroll: GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.PolicyKit1.Error.Failed: Action org.freedesktop.bolt.enroll is not registered
gnome-session-binary 83753 - - WARNING: Lost name on bus: org.gnome.SessionManager

(gsd-screensaver-proxy:85340): GLib-GIO-WARNING **: 01:38:03.837: Error releasing name org.freedesktop.ScreenSaver: The connection is closed

(gsd-a11y-settings:85157): GLib-GIO-WARNING **: 01:38:03.837: Error releasing name org.gnome.SettingsDaemon.A11ySettings: The connection is closed

(gsd-sharing:85800): GLib-GIO-WARNING **: 01:38:03.838: Error releasing name org.gnome.SettingsDaemon.Sharing: The connection is closed

(gsd-housekeeping:85496): GLib-GIO-WARNING **: 01:38:03.839: Error releasing name org.gnome.SettingsDaemon.Housekeeping: The connection is closed

(gsd-smartcard:85683): GLib-GIO-WARNING **: 01:38:03.839: Error releasing name org.gnome.SettingsDaemon.Smartcard: The connection is closed

(gsd-datetime:85622): GLib-GIO-WARNING **: 01:38:03.839: Error releasing name org.gnome.SettingsDaemon.Datetime: The connection is closed

(gsd-sound:85607): GLib-GIO-WARNING **: 01:38:03.841: Error releasing name org.gnome.SettingsDaemon.Sound: The connection is closed

(gsd-print-notifications:85123): GLib-GIO-WARNING **: 01:38:03.841: Error releasing name org.gnome.SettingsDaemon.PrintNotifications: The connection is closed
gnome-session-failed: environment corrupt; missing value for GNOME_SESSION_AUTOSTART_DIR

The boot delay from GDM login to Gnome is agonizing. Default shell for local user is zsh. Is that a cause?

@rumate: The distorted buttons in GDM is not yet fixed. Any idea, which icon package will possibly fix that.View attachment 8595

Hi .. i manage to fix this and adwaita icon theme after manual updating graphics/librsvg2 port.
Installed port graphics/librsvg2 is version 2.40.21 but i update this to 2.45.92. To build this version i need to install lang/rustbefore. After installing new version of graphics/librsvg2 and restart GDM/reboot i don't have any glitches/artifacts/distorsion
Screenshot from 2020-10-24 11-06-51.png

Screenshot from 2020-10-24 11-48-02.png

Screenshot from 2020-10-24 11-06-10.png

In ports there is graphics/librsvg2-rust version 2.50 .. I didn't try that one because I didn't even know it was there :)

In ports there is graphics/librsvg2-rust version 2.50 .. I didn't try that one because I didn't even know it was there :)
If you try to install this package using pkg, it'll want to remove most of gnome. Better we commoners, wait for the updated graphics/librsvg2 package to hit the repository.

Hi .. i manage to fix this and adwaita icon theme after manual updating graphics/librsvg2 port.
Installed port graphics/librsvg2 is version 2.40.21 but i update this to 2.45.92. To build this version i need to install lang/rustbefore. After installing new version of graphics/librsvg2 and restart GDM/reboot i don't have any glitches/artifacts/distorsion
Great effort. I am curious though - Did you built the port of librsvg2 OR used something like Poudriere or Synth to build pre-compiled package? How difficult is it. Is there a minimal way to build the needed binary packages.
Thanks for the update.

Great effort. I am curious though - Did you built the port of librsvg2 OR used something like Poudriere or Synth to build pre-compiled package? How difficult is it. Is there a minimal way to build the needed binary packages.
Thanks for the update.

I build it from port files. In attachment are updated graphics/librsvg2. Simply rename graphics/librsvg2 in ports directory with this one and make reinstall but beffore install pkg install rust because new version of librsvg2 depends on it.

Attachments

• librsvg2.zip
    4.3 KB · Views: 228
From yesterday, a delay of about 30 seconds (approx) to load gnome-shell after login from GDM login window. I've tried moving ~/.config/dconf/user, but the delay between gdm and gnome-session loading is not solved.
What I can find from logs:
Code:
:~% gdm-password] 25123 - - gkr-pam: unable to locate daemon control file                                                                                                                                                            

gdm-password] 25123 - - gkr-pam: stashed password to try later in open session                                                                                                                                                                

gdm-password] 25123 - - gkr-pam: unable to locate daemon control file                                                                                                                                                                          

gdm-password] 25123 - - gkr-pam: gnome-keyring-daemon started properly and unlocked keyring                                                                                                                                                    

gdm 17976 - - Failed to remove greeter program access to the display. Trying to proceed.  

gdm-password] 85581 - - gkr-pam: stashed password to try later in open session                                                                                                                                                                

gdm-password] 85581 - - gkr-pam: gnome-keyring-daemon started properly and unlocked keyring                                                                                                                                                    

Oct 22 22:57:11 fbsd gnome-session-binary[79646]: WARNING: Lost name on bus: org.gnome.SessionManager                                                                                                                                          

gdm 77568 - - Failed to remove greeter program access to the display. Trying to proceed.                                                                                                                                                      

Oct 22 22:57:11 fbsd gdm[77568]: Failed to remove greeter program access to the display. Trying to proceed.                                                                                                                                    

Oct 22 22:57:11 fbsd gnome-session-binary[86999]: WARNING: Could not parse desktop file org.gnome.SettingsDaemon.Rfkill.desktop or it references a not found TryExec binary

and relevant parts of /var/log/messages is attached.
Don't mix ports and pkg, just use pkg, and try to delete or rename ~/.cache and reboot your computer...

Don't mix ports and pkg, just use pkg, and try to delete or rename ~/.cache and reboot your computer...
No mixing of ports & pkg. I am using only pkg. Instead of deleting '.' files, I created a test user with relevant permissions (wheel operator video). When logged into Gnome-3 with new user also, same delay is observed.

I tried stopping gdm, restarting it and login to Gnome with tail -f /var/log/messages open on a pseudo console. These are what I logged. Some OSS related messages also.

Log out of Gnome session:
Code:
Oct 27 19:58:28 fbsd console-kit-daemon[45568]: WARNING: Error waiting for native console 1 activation: Inappropriate ioctl for device
Oct 27 19:58:28 fbsd console-kit-daemon[45568]: WARNING: Error waiting for native console 2 activation: Inappropriate ioctl for device
Oct 27 19:58:28 fbsd console-kit-daemon[45568]: WARNING: Error waiting for native console 8 activation: Inappropriate ioctl for device
Oct 27 19:58:28 fbsd console-kit-daemon[45568]: WARNING: Error waiting for native console 9 activation: Inappropriate ioctl for device
Oct 27 19:58:59 fbsd devd[87342]: notify_clients: send() failed; dropping unresponsive client
Oct 27 19:58:59 fbsd kernel: pid 79430 (gnome-keyring-daemo), jid 0, uid 1001: exited on signal 11
Oct 27 19:58:59 fbsd devd[87342]: notify_clients: send() failed; dropping unresponsive client
Oct 27 19:59:00 fbsd devd[87342]: check_clients:  dropping disconnected client

After gdm login to Gnome session:
Code:
Oct 27 19:59:00 fbsd gnome-session-binary[56639]: WARNING: Could not parse desktop file org.gnome.SettingsDaemon.Rfkill.desktop or it references a not found TryExec binary
Oct 27 19:59:00 fbsd gnome-session-binary[56639]: WARNING: Could not parse desktop file org.gnome.SettingsDaemon.Wacom.desktop or it references a not found TryExec binary
Oct 27 19:59:00 fbsd gnome-session-binary[56639]: WARNING: Could not parse desktop file orca-autostart.desktop or it references a not found TryExec binary
Oct 27 19:59:36 fbsd gnome-session-binary[56639]: WARNING: Lost name on bus: org.gnome.SessionManager
Oct 27 19:59:36 fbsd gdm[55945]: Failed to remove greeter program access to the display. Trying to proceed.
Oct 27 19:59:36 fbsd gnome-session-binary[79658]: WARNING: Could not parse desktop file org.gnome.SettingsDaemon.Rfkill.desktop or it references a not found TryExec binary
Oct 27 19:59:36 fbsd gnome-session-binary[79658]: WARNING: Could not parse desktop file org.gnome.SettingsDaemon.Wacom.desktop or it references a not found TryExec binary
Oct 27 19:59:36 fbsd gnome-session-binary[79658]: WARNING: Could not parse desktop file org.gnome.SettingsDaemon.Rfkill.desktop or it references a not found TryExec binary
Oct 27 19:59:36 fbsd gnome-session-binary[79658]: WARNING: Could not parse desktop file org.gnome.SettingsDaemon.Wacom.desktop or it references a not found TryExec binary
Oct 27 19:59:36 fbsd gnome-session-binary[79658]: WARNING: Could not parse desktop file org.gnome.SettingsDaemon.Wwan.desktop or it references a not found TryExec binary
Oct 27 20:00:03 fbsd pulseaudio[9831]: [(null)] oss-util.c: '/dev/dsp2' doesn't support full duplex
Oct 27 20:00:03 fbsd pulseaudio[9831]: [(null)] oss-util.c: '/dev/dsp3' doesn't support full duplex
Oct 27 20:00:03 fbsd pulseaudio[9831]: [(null)] oss-util.c: '/dev/dsp4' doesn't support full duplex

Also, the system shows some long messages about hdac0 (sound):
Code:
hdac0: Unexpected unsolicited response from address 3: c0000000
hdac0: Unexpected unsolicited response from address 0: c0000000
<...snipped..> A lot of new lines with above message

Back