I want to install FreeBSD alongside Linux.

1. put message "query '[%C/%n] %M'", into the ALIAS section of /usr/local/etc/pkg.conf
  2. pkg message xorg-server
  3. sysctl kern.evdev.rcpt_mask=6 and echo kern.evdev.rcpt_mask=6 >>/etc/sysctl.conf
  4. sysrc moused_flags+=" -l 2" to set moused(8) to operate in psm(4) extended level
  5. echo hw.psm.synaptics_support=\"1\" >>/boot/loader.conf
    hw.psm.trackpoint_support=\"1\" >>/boot/loader.conf
    (or /boot/loader.conf.local). If you not already have that, reboot.
It's a good idea to read through all pkg message | less and do as instructed, anyway.

It's a good idea to read through all pkg message | less and do as instructed, anyway.

Thanks mjollnir :)
I'll get right on it.
I haven't gone to bed yet, I've been reading and learning about this operating system. I'm not tired anymore.

I made several advances:
* kde5 installed.
* the whole system in UTF-8 in Spanish.
* Konsole in Spanish with the letter ñ
* Plasma set and ready.

* Now I need to configure the touchpad to work, now I work with mouse/usb.

put message 'query '[%C/%n] %M'', into the ALIAS section of /usr/local/etc/pkg.conf

Code:
ALIAS              : {
  all-depends: query %dn-%dv,
  annotations: info -A,
  build-depends: info -qd,
  cinfo: info -Cx,
  comment: query -i "%c",
  csearch: search -Cx,
  desc: query -i "%e",
  download: fetch,
  iinfo: info -ix,
  isearch: search -ix,
  prime-list: "query -e '%a = 0' '%n'",
  prime-origins: "query -e '%a = 0' '%o'",
  leaf: "query -e '%#r == 0' '%n-%v'",
  list: info -ql,
  list: info -ql,
  message 'query '[%C/%n] %M'',  >>>>>>>>>>>>>>done
  noauto = "query -e '%a == 0' '%n-%v'",
  options: query -i "%n - %Ok: %Ov",
  origin: info -qo,
  provided-depends: info -qb,
  rall-depends: rquery %dn-%dv,
  raw: info -R,    
  rcomment: rquery -i "%c",
  rdesc: rquery -i "%e",
  required-depends: info -qr,
  roptions: rquery -i "%n - %Ok: %Ov",
  shared-depends: info -qB,
  show: info -f -k,

pkg message xorg-server

# pkg message xorg-server
pkg: Invalid configuration file: error while parsing <unknown>: line: 72, col
umn: 10 - 'key must begin with a letter', character: '''
pkg: unknown command: message

According to this link, inverted commas are missing. https://forums.freebsd.org/threads/kmix-is-not-launched-from-kde5-panel.75863/post-466544 and then it would be:
message "query '[%C/%n] %M'", ? I don't know. 🤷‍♂️ Neither of the two ways make the touchpad work.

Points 3,4,and 5 without problems.

Now it works.
https://wiki.freebsd.org/SynapticsTouchpad:

To enable psm(4) Synaptics support, add the following line to /boot/loader.conf

hw.psm.synaptics_support="1"

Enable moused(8). Add the following to /etc/rc.conf

moused_enable="YES"

To use it within X.Org, disable the X.Org-specific Synaptics driver, and configure a sysmouse mouse. Here's an example section for /etc/X11/xorg.conf

Section "InputDevice"
Identifier "Mouse0"
Driver "mouse"
Option "Protocol" "auto"
Option "Device" "/dev/sysmouse"
Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5 6 7"
EndSection

Horizontal scrolling is disabled by default. To enable it, add the following to /etc/sysctl.conf

hw.psm.synaptics.vscroll_hor_area=1300

# pkg message xorg-server
pkg: Invalid configuration file: error while parsing <unknown>: line: 72, col
umn: 10 - 'key must begin with a letter', character: '''
pkg: unknown command: message

According to this link, inverted commas are missing. https://forums.freebsd.org/threads/kmix-is-not-launched-from-kde5-panel.75863/post-466544 and then it would be:
message "query '[%C/%n] %M'", ? I don't know. 🤷‍♂️ Neither of the two ways make the touchpad work.
Yes, sorry for that flaw. I edited my previous post. You don't need a xorg.conf(5) entry or file for the mouse, it should be autodetected. If you do not run moused(8) on level 2, the TouchPad & TrackPoint will be detected as a PS/2 mouse. If you install the x11-input-synaptics TouchPad driver, you can comfortably configure it via the KDE control-center ( systemsettings5) & enjoy the advanced settings.
My sysrc moused_flags="-a 1.5 -A 1.5,2 -VH -L 3 -U 3 -l 2" (touchpad) and
sysrc moused_ums0_flags="-A 1.5,2 -l 2" (USB mouse), YMMV.

T-Daemon Not to go on about that but yours is the only mature response I've ever gotten to my correction. Almost always I get nasty remarks about how rude I was to point it out. One lady, on a neighborhood posting site, lambasted me in several postings over several days, with grammatical errors she later said were intentional to give me the opportunity to go off on her. One forum I visited, I got a flood of down votes (as if I cared) along with comments making me think most believe there is nothing wrong with misspelling words and grammar issues. Reddit is where you will find this issue all over the place as if they invented it.

I could go on and on but I won't. When we lose any interest in proper communication, we'll be in for a world of hurt.

English is my 3rd language. I always want to speak it or write it correcly and so I also always thank those who take the time to correct me.

I have Android X86, Windows 10, Linux, FreeBSD on one PC - none of them virtual.

My policy is: windows10 gets drive#1 NTFS whatever it demands. The rest boot from USB. I have had zero problems that way.

My lovely asian bios let's me pick which HD to boot from. That is how I boot into FreeBSD. If it didn't I'd have had to have a USB boot stick for USB (installer usb i have) and find the command to boot the images on the hard drive not the images on the USB. For linux I already have a grub usb and am hugely un-interested if it can boot freeBSD.

The thing is: booting is part of the software wars. Just stay away from it with a 10 foot pole and you'll run into 0 problems booting :)

Back