Solved Bhyve - Where to start?

• Thread starter Deleted member 63539
  • Start date
I could run "SparkyLinux" using vm-bhyve + uefi loader ...... ;)
Glad to hear the thread is SOLVED
(enclose screenshot)
The one to blame is the outdated templates of vm-bhyve ;)
The uefi loader done it job. But the graphical sparkylinux-2020.06-x86_64-mate.iso still failed to log into the MATE session. Here is my template:

sparky.conf

Code:
loader="uefi"
cpu=2
memory=2G
network0_type="virtio-net"
network0_switch="public"
disk0_type="ahci-hd"
disk0_name="disk0.img"
disk0_size="30G"
graphics="yes"
xhci_mouse="yes"
graphics_res="1024x768"
graphics_wait="yes"

With it, I could boot into the live system but still can't log into the MATE session.

sparkylinux-5.12-x86_64-minimalcli.iso is easy. I have a ready cli installation of it, too. The graphical one is the real challenge.

I think I would get to the graphical environment using the cli image installer, as it allow installing a desktop environment and a web browser after the cli installation was done. But I didn't try it, though. Just stop after the cli installation is done. It seemed you did the same, too.

They probably won't because tmux is not in base. Though useful, it is an external 3rd party dependency.
Then they should write a better one. BTW, tmux is ISC licensed, so it's no trouble to add it to base.

Today I successfully boot Fatdog64 Linux into the desktop on Bhyve. I even tried to browse some pages using SeaMonkey (the distro's default browser). Everything worked fine. Some Linux distros have troubled get into the desktop due to the splashscreen or the login manager (e.g: lightdm). Luckily, Fatdog64 doesn't have such thing. It booted straight forward into the desktop.

Just for curiosity ....
Could you tell us why are you using the distros Fatdog64 Linux and Sparkylinux within Bhyve? I have never used / needed them in my whole career.
Thanks
I used sparkylinux before I switched to FreeBSD. And I found bhyve not work with any distro that use a splash screen, an sparkylinux does. fatdog64 linux boot straight forward into the desktop and doesn't use any splash screen, so it's ideal for bhyve. Just that.

BTW, sparkylinux is nothing but an out of the box debian desktop.

Back