Intel wireless hardware support

Good afternoon clan,

I want to install FreeBSD on a newly acquired laptop. The wireless hardware is listed as Intel Wireless-AC 9462. Is there a way to find out if the hardware is support by FreeBSD? I found this list here but that hardware is not listed in there.

If not supported is there a generic way to make such hardware work.

Some info will be appreciated.

LMGTFY....

If not supported is there a generic way to make such hardware work.
No - there isn't. The "generic way" is to replace non-supported hardware with supported hardware, which cost more (extra hardware), is more "hassle" to use (usb wireless dongles) and can be difficult to source (whitelisted mini PCIe wireless cards).

Experimental way - you could try to run a virtual machine with linux on it inside your machine (assuming Linux has support for your wireless) and use that as network gateway for your machine. Also a bit cumbersome, but it has been reported to work.

Experimental way - you could try to run a virtual machine with linux on it inside your machine (assuming Linux has support for your wireless) and use that as network gateway for your machine. Also a bit cumbersome, but it has been reported to work.
My home made router works that way (concerning wifi access point) with a debian VM using bhyve since one year.

Missed here too.

I found this WiFi-to-Ethernet device as a good alternative for all non-working WiFi cards dealing with various FreeBSD notebooks:

WiFi-to-RJ45-Ethernet-Powered-by-USB-port-_1.jpg

The problem is that newest laptops don't have an Ethernet port(

...yes. What's obvious, too, is that I have to quit and get some sleep ;)
Of course for laptops that makes sense. I can have an ethernet port in a docking station, else it's a mobile device so no ethernet port.

WHAT??? What's going on? Are you serious? Did I miss s/th? Can you explain that? What do they have instead?

The trend of this can be seen on this page. Notebooks with NICs=1 (green color on the charts below) are notebooks with the only WiFi card w/o the Ethernet card and port. Started to grow in 2018, the part of such notebooks increases by 5-7 percents yearly:

NICs1.png

NICs2.png

W/o the good support of WiFi cards we'll loose the desktop market in 5 years. People will not be able to install/play with BSD at home on their laptops.

The trend of this can be seen on this page. Notebooks with NICs=1 (green color on the charts below) are notebooks with the only WiFi card w/o the Ethernet card and port. Started to grow in 2018, the part of such notebooks increases by 5-7 percents yearly:

The trend started with Macbook Air, which, as Wikipedia tells me, was in 2008.

W/o the good support of WiFi cards we'll loose the desktop market in 5 years. People will not be able to install/play with BSD at home on their laptops.

That's overly dramatic.

Reactions: a6h
WHAT??? What's going on? Are you serious? Did I miss s/th? Can you explain that? What do they have instead?
This is true for thin cases (ultrabook) - the ethernet socket need space. Maybe Ethernet needs new standard for "micro"/flattened connectors (like mini/micro USB).

Not exactly the same but I remember when laptops started not having a serial port any more. Try accessing a serial console on a switch or router without a serial port. That was super annoying. I now have a whole collection of USB-serial adapters just for this. Luckily most modern equipment comes with a USB console port nowadays.

I don't know what you are talking about. There are no driverless devices.

I mean any USB Ethernet adapter with internal WiFi module, that is configured like EDUP EP-2911 from your smartphone and don't require a FreeBSD driver. Of course, USB Ethernet will require a driver.

For a while now I meant to come back here and provide an update. I don't know what happened but, my wireless speed is now consitent with what I get throughout the house using other systems. This is nothing but strange. When I opened this thread, hitting FreeBSD servers while updating and running other tests was giving me between 50kb/s - 300kb/s. Now I am into 2000kb/s - 3000kb/s.

Maybe someone can sort this one out.

Back