Sun keyboard and xorg-server 1.20, FreeBSD 12.1, xfce 4.12

Hi,

I can't make the "extra" (left panel) Sun keys work on my Sun keyboard after xorg-server was updated to 1.20.
(This is FreeBSD 12.1p4, with XFCE 4.12.)
I've read a lot of threads about keyboard issues, tried some of the solutions, but no luck.
Here is my keyboard configuration:
Code:
[ko@wiley ~]$ setxkbmap -print
xkb_keymap {
    xkb_keycodes  { include "evdev+aliases(qwerty)"    };
    xkb_types     { include "complete"    };
    xkb_compat    { include "complete"    };
    xkb_symbols   { include "pc+sun_vndr/us+sun_vndr/gr(simple):2+inet(evdev)+group(menu_toggle)"    };
    xkb_geometry  { include "sun(type6unix)"    };
};
[ko@wiley ~]$
Before the upgrade, the "Open", "Front", "Undo", "Cut", "Copy", "Paste" Sun keys used to work.
Now "xev" shows that "Open", "Undo", and "Front" don't produce any events at all.
And "Copy", "Cut", "Paste" produce XF86WakeUp, XF86Reload, XF86Search, respectively (all wrong).

Any help would be appreciated.

I don't have a Sun keyboard, but xkeyboard-config(7) might help:
Code:
Model                 Description
sun_type7_usb         Sun Type 7 USB
sun_type7_euro_usb    Sun Type 7 USB (European)
sun_type7_unix_usb    Sun Type 7 USB (Unix)
sun_type7_jp_usb      Sun Type 7 USB (Japanese)/Japanese 106-key
sun_type6_usb         Sun Type 6/7 USB
sun_type6_euro_usb    Sun Type 6/7 USB (European)
sun_type6_unix_usb    Sun Type 6 USB (Unix)
sun_type6_jp_usb      Sun Type 6 USB (Japanese)
sun_type6_jp          Sun Type 6 (Japanese)
Option               Description
solaris:sun_compat   Sun Key compatibility

So you might try setxkbmap -option solaris:sun_compat or even switching models using something like setxkbmap -model sun_type6_usb. Other than that, I'm afraid I can't help.

For reference, here's how you can get back to the settings that setxkbmap -print displayed:
Code:
setxkbmap -model sun_type6_unix_usb -layout 'us,gr(simple)' -option -option grp:menu_toggle

Thanks for the suggestion. I made XFCE use the "system defaults" for the keyboard, and put the "setxkbmap" line in my .xsession that starts XFCE. Added the Solaris compatibility option.
Unfortunately, no luck. The Sun keys behave (don't behave) as before.

Which Sun model is it you have?
Sun Type 6, USB, Unix version

Please run setxkbmap -print verbose 10 , post output.

xkb_keymap {
xkb_keycodes { include "evdev+aliases(qwerty)" };
xkb_types { include "complete" };
xkb_compat { include "complete" };
xkb_symbols { include "pc+verbose(10)+inet(evdev)+group(menu_toggle)+terminate(ctrl_alt_bksp)+sun_vndr/solaris(sun_compat)" };
xkb_geometry { include "sun(type6unix)" };
};

That can be fixed.

That is not a verbose output of setxkbmap -print -verbose 10 . It should look like this ( taken from here as example ):
Code:
$  setxkbmap -print -verbose 10.
Setting verbose level to 10
locale is C
Trying to load rules file ./rules/evdev...
Trying to load rules file /usr/local/share/X11/xkb/rules/evdev...
Success.
Applied rules from evdev:
rules:      evdev
model:      geniuscomfy
layout:     us,ru
variant:    ,
options:    terminate:ctrl
_alt_bksp,grp:lwin_toggle,grp:rwin_toggle,lv3:ralt_switch_multikey
Trying to build keymap using the following components:
keycodes:   evdev+aliases(qwerty)
types:      complete
compat:     complete
symbols:    pc+us+ru:2+inet(evdev)+group(lwin_toggle)+group(rwin_toggle)+level3(ralt_switch_multikey)
geometry:   pc(pc104)
xkb_keymap {
    xkb_symbols   { include "pc+us+ru:2+inet(evdev)+group(lwin_toggle)+group(rwin_toggle)+level3(ralt_switch_multikey)"    };
    xkb_geometry  { include "pc(pc104)"    };
};

Please provide verbose output.

That is not a verbose output of setxkbmap -print -verbose 10 . It should look like this ( taken from here as example ):
Code:
$  setxkbmap -print -verbose 10.
locale is C
Success.
model:      geniuscomfy
layout:     us,ru
variant:    ,
options:    terminate:ctrl
_alt_bksp,grp:lwin_toggle,grp:rwin_toggle,lv3:ralt_switch_multikey
symbols:    pc+us+ru:2+inet(evdev)+group(lwin_toggle)+group(rwin_toggle)+level3(ralt_switch_multikey)
geometry:   pc(pc104)
xkb_keymap {
    xkb_symbols   { include "pc+us+ru:2+inet(evdev)+group(lwin_toggle)+group(rwin_toggle)+level3(ralt_switch_multikey)"    };
    xkb_geometry  { include "pc(pc104)"    };
};

Please provide verbose output.

Sorry, smth. must have gone wrong. Here:
Code:
[ko@wiley ~]$ setxkbmap -print -verbose 10
locale is C
Success.
model:      sun_type6_unix_usb
layout:     us,gr
variant:    ,simple
options:    grp:menu_toggle,solaris:sun_compat,terminate:ctrl_alt_bksp
symbols:    pc+sun_vndr/us+sun_vndr/gr(simple):2+inet(evdev)+group(menu_toggle)+terminate(ctrl_alt_bksp)+sun_vndr/solaris(sun_compat)
geometry:   sun(type6unix)
xkb_keymap {
    xkb_symbols   { include "pc+sun_vndr/us+sun_vndr/gr(simple):2+inet(evdev)+group(menu_toggle)+terminate(ctrl_alt_bksp)+sun_vndr/solaris(sun_compat)"    };
    xkb_geometry  { include "sun(type6unix)"    };
};
[ko@wiley ~]$

Last edited by a moderator:
Running with Fvwm and a UNIX-layout Type 7 here, all keys work.

I did notice at some point that MATE seems to ignore some keys, I don't remember wrt Xfce (can't test it right now). If it still doesn't work in Xfce you might want to verify under a simpler WM.

To make it work I only had to add this snippet to xorg's conf (or alternatively, as said above, with setxkbmap) :
Code:
$ cat /usr/local/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/80-sunkeyboard.conf
Section "InputClass"
    Identifier "Sun Keyboard defaults"
    MatchIsKeyboard "on"

Option "XkbModel" "sun_type6_usb"
    Option "XkbLayout" "us"
    Option "XkbOptions" "eurosign:e,lv3:ralt_switch,compose:menu"
EndSection

EDIT:
Just restested under Xfce with the (above) current Xorg configuration, and Xfce's Settings Manager→Keyboard→Layout→Keyboard Model set to "Sun Type 7 USB (UNIX)", all keys work and are either caught by Xfce (as per my local shortcuts) or reported by Xev either as "SunXXX", "XF86yyy" or generic name (e.g. SunFront, XF86Paste, Cancel).

Thanks for doing all this checking.

I put your 80-sunkeyboard.conf in /usr/local/share/X11/xorg.conf.d, but changed sun_type6_usb to sun_type7_usb. Then I set the keyboard to "Sun Type 7 USB (UNIX)" with XFCE, just like you did.

After I restarted X (logged out of XFCE), I saw that the /usr/local/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/80-sunkeyboard.conf
had disappeared. And when I test with xev, the keys still don't work:

Front -> Nothing
Paste -> XF86Search
Open -> Nothing
Cut -> XF86Reload

Are we running the same xorg-server and XFCE? Mine are xorg-server-1.20.8, and xfce4.12.

After I restarted X (logged out of XFCE), I saw that the /usr/local/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/80-sunkeyboard.conf had disappeared.

That shouldn't happen. Obviously, if the file is not present, whatever other configuration you have will still apply.

The keys issuing the wrong events is explained by not having the correct keyboard configuration. It's close, but it's not exactly right. That said, I've been using Sun keyboards since the Type 4 (with a custom adapter) and as far as I remember the keycodes haven't changed from one generation to the next.

One difference that I see in your (initial) configuration at the top of this thread is that you're using "gr" symbols (greek, I assume ?) while my configuration is strictly for a US-UNIX layout. I don't see how it would cause your issues, but I have no experience with a dual-layout setup.

As for software versions, I'm using whatever is current in 12.1-RELEASE-p5 at the moment (Xfce 4.14 metapackage, xorg-server 1.20.8_1). Shouldn't make a difference, I've been using this setup since 10.something-RELEASE.

I rebooted, and /usr/local/share/X11/xorg.conf.d is totally empty.

Anyhow, apart from usr/local/share/X11/xorg.conf.d and Xfce 4.12 vs. Xfce 4.14, our configurations seem to be the same: I have a Type 6 keyboard (I also have been using Sun keyboards since type 4), and my Xfce settings say it is a Type 7 USB Unix. Here is setxkbmap output, I removed the Greek layout option:

Code:
[ko@wiley ~]$ setxkbmap -print
xkb_keymap {
    xkb_symbols   { include "pc+sun_vndr/us(alt-intl)+inet(evdev)+group(menu_toggle)"    };
    xkb_geometry  { include "sun(type7unix)"    };
};
[ko@wiley ~]$
As far as I understand, the /usr/local/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/80-sunkeyboard.conf should not really be necessary.

What else could be different?

I am not totally sure how pastebin works, but I created a paste on pastebin.com. Does this link https://pastebin.com/index/SepFcgAw make sense?

I am also posting the latest setxkbmap -print -verbose 10

Code:
[ko@wiley ~]$ setxkbmap -print -verbose 10
locale is C
Success.
model:      sun_type7_unix_usb
layout:     us
variant:    alt-intl
options:    grp:menu_toggle
symbols:    pc+sun_vndr/us(alt-intl)+inet(evdev)+group(menu_toggle)
geometry:   sun(type7unix)
xkb_keymap {
    xkb_symbols   { include "pc+sun_vndr/us(alt-intl)+inet(evdev)+group(menu_toggle)"    };
    xkb_geometry  { include "sun(type7unix)"    };
};
[ko@wiley ~]$

$ setxkbmap -print -verbose 10
Code:
locale is C
Success.
model:      sun_type6_usb
layout:     us
options:    eurosign:e,lv3:ralt_switch,compose:menu
symbols:    pc+sun_vndr/us+inet(evdev)+level3(ralt_switch)+compose(menu)+eurosign(e)
geometry:   sun(type6)
xkb_keymap {
    xkb_symbols   { include "pc+sun_vndr/us+inet(evdev)+level3(ralt_switch)+compose(menu)+eurosign(e)"    };
    xkb_geometry  { include "sun(type6)"    };
};

Hope this helps.

One more data point: I tried a different window manager, twm, with the same keyboard settings (Sun Type 7, though I think Type 6 or 7 does not really make a difference), and the problem is still there.

I noticed from your Xorg.0.log file, xorg chooses “libinput" as keyboard driver.

Code:
[ 53423.526] (II) Using input driver 'libinput' for 'AT keyboard'

I would have been interested which driver sparky2002’s xorg setup chooses for the keyboard.
sparky2002, if it’s possible, could you please https://pastebin.com ( or similar text storage site ) your Xorg.0.log?

Sorry for the late communication, I couldn't go earlier.

Please set in /usr/local/etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/sun-keyboard.conf

Code:
Section “InputClass”
       Identifier "Sun Type 6 Unix"
       MatchIsKeyboard "on"
       Option     "XkbModel" "sun_type6_usb"
       Option     "XkbLayout" "us,gr(simple)"
       Option     "XkbOptions" "grp:menu_toggle"
EndSection

Furthermore please post output of:

pkg info | grep xf86-input

OK, I created this file and restarted the window system. Problem persists, unfortunately.

Code:
[ko@wiley ~]$ pkg info | grep xf86-input
xf86-input-keyboard-1.9.0_4    X.Org keyboard input driver
xf86-input-libinput-0.29.0     X.Org libinput input driver
xf86-input-mouse-1.9.3_3       X.Org mouse input driver
[ko@wiley ~]$

Let’s try this:

Attempt 1:
pkg add xf86-input-evdev
Restart xorg, check keys.

Attempt 2:
If no response from those extra keys, check Xorg.0.log for keyboard driver info line
Code:
[ …………….] (II) Using input driver ‘…….…’  for 'AT keyboard’.

If it’s still ‘libinput’ add driver in /usr/local/etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/sunkeyboard.conf:
Code:
…..
Driver    "evdev"
…..
With the evdev driver check also xev -events keyboard , if there is at least a response there.

Attempt 1 failed, attempt 2 also failed. Here is a grep through Xorg.0.log:

Code:
[ko@wiley /var/log]$ grep 'Using input driver' Xorg.0.log
[    38.537] (II) Using input driver 'libinput' for 'System keyboard multiplexer'
[    38.803] (II) Using input driver 'libinput' for 'System mouse'
[    38.805] (II) Using input driver 'libinput' for 'AT keyboard'
[    38.808] (II) Using input driver 'libinput' for 'vendor 0x0430 product 0x0005'
[    38.812] (II) Using input driver 'libinput' for 'MOSART Semi. 2.4G Wireless Mouse'
[ 52618.722] (II) Using input driver 'libinput' for 'System keyboard multiplexer'
[ 52618.758] (II) Using input driver 'libinput' for 'System mouse'
[ 52618.760] (II) Using input driver 'libinput' for 'AT keyboard'
[ 52618.763] (II) Using input driver 'libinput' for 'vendor 0x0430 product 0x0005'
[ 52618.767] (II) Using input driver 'libinput' for 'MOSART Semi. 2.4G Wireless Mouse'
[ 52627.394] (II) Using input driver 'libinput' for 'System keyboard multiplexer'
[ 52627.429] (II) Using input driver 'libinput' for 'System mouse'
[ 52627.431] (II) Using input driver 'libinput' for 'AT keyboard'
[ 52627.434] (II) Using input driver 'libinput' for 'vendor 0x0430 product 0x0005'
[ 52627.438] (II) Using input driver 'libinput' for 'MOSART Semi. 2.4G Wireless Mouse'
[ 52638.725] (II) Using input driver 'libinput' for 'System keyboard multiplexer'
[ 52638.761] (II) Using input driver 'libinput' for 'System mouse'
[ 52638.764] (II) Using input driver 'libinput' for 'AT keyboard'
[ 52638.766] (II) Using input driver 'libinput' for 'vendor 0x0430 product 0x0005'
[ 52638.770] (II) Using input driver 'libinput' for 'MOSART Semi. 2.4G Wireless Mouse'
[ 53036.238] (II) Using input driver 'libinput' for 'System keyboard multiplexer'
[ 53036.274] (II) Using input driver 'libinput' for 'System mouse'
[ 53036.277] (II) Using input driver 'libinput' for 'AT keyboard'
[ 53036.280] (II) Using input driver 'libinput' for 'vendor 0x0430 product 0x0005'
[ 53036.283] (II) Using input driver 'libinput' for 'MOSART Semi. 2.4G Wireless Mouse'
[ 53423.487] (II) Using input driver 'libinput' for 'System keyboard multiplexer'
[ 53423.523] (II) Using input driver 'libinput' for 'System mouse'
[ 53423.526] (II) Using input driver 'libinput' for 'AT keyboard'
[ 53423.529] (II) Using input driver 'libinput' for 'vendor 0x0430 product 0x0005'
[ 53423.533] (II) Using input driver 'libinput' for 'MOSART Semi. 2.4G Wireless Mouse'
[171420.891] (II) Using input driver 'libinput' for 'vendor 0x0430 product 0x0005'
[221681.944] (II) Using input driver 'libinput' for 'vendor 0x0430 product 0x0005'
[306150.814] (II) Using input driver 'libinput' for 'System keyboard multiplexer'
[306150.861] (II) Using input driver 'libinput' for 'System mouse'
[306150.863] (II) Using input driver 'libinput' for 'AT keyboard'
[306150.866] (II) Using input driver 'libinput' for 'vendor 0x0430 product 0x0005'
[306150.869] (II) Using input driver 'libinput' for 'MOSART Semi. 2.4G Wireless Mouse'
[321838.964] (II) Using input driver 'libinput' for 'System keyboard multiplexer'
[321839.002] (II) Using input driver 'libinput' for 'System mouse'
[321839.004] (II) Using input driver 'libinput' for 'AT keyboard'
[321839.007] (II) Using input driver 'libinput' for 'vendor 0x0430 product 0x0005'
[321839.010] (II) Using input driver 'libinput' for 'MOSART Semi. 2.4G Wireless Mouse'
[322143.950] (II) Using input driver 'libinput' for 'System keyboard multiplexer'
[322143.988] (II) Using input driver 'libinput' for 'System mouse'
[322143.991] (II) Using input driver 'libinput' for 'AT keyboard'
[322143.993] (II) Using input driver 'libinput' for 'vendor 0x0430 product 0x0005'
[322143.997] (II) Using input driver 'libinput' for 'MOSART Semi. 2.4G Wireless Mouse'
[322474.428] (II) Using input driver 'libinput' for 'MOSART Semi. 2.4G Wireless Mouse'
[322592.965] (II) Using input driver 'libinput' for 'MOSART Semi. 2.4G Wireless Mouse'
[ko@wiley

There seems to be something else wrong too because Xorg insists the keyboard is a type 7 not 6 (the difference may not really matter, but "setxkbmap -print" says it's a type 6):

Code:
[322143.995] (II) event3  - vendor 0x0430 product 0x0005, class 0/0, rev 1.10/2.00, addr 3: device is a keyboard
[322143.995] (II) event3  - vendor 0x0430 product 0x0005, class 0/0, rev 1.10/2.00, addr 3: device removed
[322143.995] (**) Option "config_info" "udev:/dev/input/event3"
[322143.995] (**) Option "xkb_rules" "evdev"
[322143.995] (**) Option "xkb_model" "sun_type7"
[322143.995] (**) Option "xkb_layout" "us"
[322143.996] (II) event3  - vendor 0x0430 product 0x0005, class 0/0, rev 1.10/2.00, addr 3: is tagged by udev as: Keyboard
[322143.996] (II) event3  - vendor 0x0430 product 0x0005, class 0/0, rev 1.10/2.00, addr 3: device is a keyboard

Finally, "xmodmap -pk" https://pastebin.com/dl/YNmUUan6 reports weird keycodes that don't agree with what I find in /usr/local/share/X11/xkb/keycodes.

Try pkg install xf86-input-keyboard. Make sure there are no driver settings in the sunkeyboard.conf, check Xorg.0.log which driver is loaded.

Try pkg install xf86-input-keyboard. Make sure there are no driver settings in the sunkeyboard.conf, check Xorg.0.log which driver is loaded.
pkg install xf86-input-keyboard is already installed. sunkeyboard.conf still has the driver settings you suggested in #22 above.
I am posting my Xorg.0.log, https://pastebin.com/embed/6tNjQAj0. It seems to me that the system thinks there are two keyboards, one associated with /dev/input/event2 and one with /dev/input/event3. Don't know what to make of that.

By the way, thanks for all your help!

Back