Folding at Home?

I've read only 2 or 3 threads on FAH software on these forums, from 2010 to 2014.
Has the situation improved for FAH?
I see Nvidia has reasonably good support on their display drivers.

Is GPU folding still impossible on FreeBSD (meaning, no easy way to get it to work)?

Do people still do F@H? I've heard a lot about it back when I was in college some 15 years ago but since then I have not heard anything about it.

The only folding at home I do is my laundry :D

Seriously though, I see they have RH/CentOS RPMs. Those might work on the Linux emulation. I don't see any source code so I suspect it's free to use but closed source. That would make it difficult, if not impossible, to port to FreeBSD natively.

Chapter 10. Linux® Binary Compatibility

Would like to report that F@H does in fact work with linux emulation with the contents of the 64-bit RPM, but you do have to mount linprocfs on /compat/linux/proc first. After that (and assuming everything else for linux compat is enabled/installed), it should work. Then all you have to do is set up an rc.d script, and you're good to go.

Good morning. I'm trying to get this working. I have followed the handbook section on installing Linux compatibility sys and proc exist in /compat. I have installed the port, but I'm getting the following error.

Code:
Failed to open '/proc/bus/pci/devices': Failed to open '/proc/bus/pci/devices': No such file or directory: No such file or directory

What do I need to do to get this working?

cjr check if a PID is running. if yes then its running on CPU.

I have running it in a jail. Note that you must allow in the configs remote access in fahclient for the webinterface if you put it in Jail.

Hi, I am running F@H since yesterday on one machine, using Linux rpm, 4 slots with 4 threads each.
Does anyone succeed having libcuda and/or libOpenCL detected ?
I have Linux compat stuff on the 12.1-RELEASE, installed ocl-icd from ports as nvidia-driver 390 for the video card GeForce GT610.

I've heard of Folding@home recently and been having it fold overnight every night since then. #Iamoneinamillion

Hi !

Can someone confirm me how normal it is that the FreeBSD FAH client is much slower than the Debian version ?
(edit: I have two Intel NUC, one on Debian, one on FreeBSD, same hardware, and the Debian client is crunching 2x faster than the FreeBSD one)
And just for my information, what would it take to have a proper FAH client on FreeBSD as fast as the Debian one ?

--
Léo.

Perhaps because it's not a native build? (Just a hunch)

Yeah you're certainly right.
But... What I don't understand is what needs to be done to make it "native" on FreeBSD ?
Is this a library problem ? Is it related to a piece of software Debian has and not FreeBSD ?
Something else ?

--
Léo.

what needs to be done to make it "native" on FreeBSD ?
F@h is proprietary software. So, other than petitioning them to build a native FreeBSD version (unlikely to happen) or to open-source it (even more unlikely to happen), there's not much one can do.

F@h is proprietary software. So, other than petitioning them to build a native FreeBSD version (unlikely to happen) or to open-source it (even more unlikely to happen), there's not much one can do.

Ah.. I was misunderstanding it, I thought it was an open-source software.
Too bad then, I'm sending a request to fah team, can't hurt.

Thanks Beastie :)

--
Léo.

Back