Solved Beginner FreeBSD asks for laptop buying advice

Hello,
I'm Guillem,
I use and install Linux since 1997 (Mandrake, Ubuntu) you remember a time where we need to use Partition Magic floppy disk. I have an old Dell inspiron 6300 (first generation dual-core with 2Go ram and 128 Go hard drive), who was running on Windows Vista, then 7, and past to Ubuntu when it became to slow on Windows, now bios is not running everytime, startup crach sometimes, and it's time to change it.

I would like to buy an Laptop to install FreeBSD, do you have an advice ?
I had a look on https://wiki.freebsd.org/Laptops of course.
What do you think of an Thinkpad T550 ?

What i expect :
A x64 running system with Xfce desktop, Wifi, ZFS, sound of course. Wine to run specifics software (genealogy, historical maps...) maybe some console emulator.

Thanks for your help

Hello everybody,
My name is Guillem,
I install Linux since 1997 (Mandrake 5 ..., Ubuntu) from the time when we before magic partition on floppy disk. My old laptop is dying (Dell inspiron 6300 : first dual-core 2Go ram, 120 Go HDD), and I would like to buy another one and install FreeBSD on it, of course I had a look at https://wiki.freebsd.org/Laptops and I will like have your opinion.

I was thinking of a used Thinkpad T550, what do you think?
Another more practical ?

I would like to install FreeBSD with Xfce desktop, Wine (to run specific software) on ZFS system, of course with the wifi and the sound working.

Thanks for your help

Not FreeBSD related pre se but just for any case - I would recommend to pay attention to the screen model. T-series sometimes come with really, really crappy TN LCDs. Think of faded colors, glowing "black," as it was 90s, and small looking angles. An IPS screen is significantly better.

gvia66 Please don't post the same question in multiple sections.

[threads merged]

From my recent experience :
If uefi boot failed, you can use refind.
Not a big deal.

But the dual graphic is a pain (hdmi is connected in discrete or integrated cards ? ...)

About the screen, I don't know why you have some french in your description.
  • TN 15,6" HD (1 366 x 768) antireflets
  • TN 15,6" Full HD (1 920 x 1 080) à grand angle de visualisation
It smell like the 1366x768 screen is very bad... The second has a large view angle. That means the first don't have and for a TN, that mean the screen cannot display the same color in the whole surface...
Between TN and IPS, I prefere IPS.

TL;DR: Basically it's a set of graphics drivers, specifically for Intel and AMD GPUs.

If you want a recent laptop, you will need this. You may have to run -CURRENT on brand-new, or at least -STABLE, like I do on my HP Spectre x360 2018.

If you want to run a RELEASE, just use a refurbished model off eBay, but make sure it has a warranty. I had refurbished HP EliteBooks in the past and they all worked well with 11.0-12.0 RELEASE.

i have ordered this one :
Lenovo THINKPAD T550 15,5" 3K IPS touch screen, Intel i5-5300U Max. 2.90GHz, 16GB RAM, 240GB SSD
I think i will put it on multiboot (FreeBSD, Ubuntu) in the first time, and see if i can past it fully to FreeBSD with virtualisation after (win95...).

What do you recommend for parting my 240Go SSD ? I think i will run -STABLE.
I have to install Linux first, and copy my grub config, before installing FreeBSD, then install FreeBSD with new Grub and edit the file ?
ZFS or UFS for desktop use ? TPM encryption or NOT or full ZFS, i hope to have fTPM on my UEFI ?
Thanks

Last edited:
I received it, it's very nice, just the German keyboard that I need to change (via stikers): Is a 20CJ model
- Intel dual band Wireless-AC 7265 #2
- Standard PS/2 keyboard
- Synaptics FP Sensors (WBF) (PID=0017)
- SKU LPC controler - 9CC3
- Synaptics Pointing Device PS/2

This laptop is 5th generation intel cpu, it don’t support pcie solid harddisk and do not support ddr4. I recommand you to buy a 8th Intel cpu or amd ryzen series laptop, it support ddr4 and pcie solid harddisk

I recommand you to buy a 8th Intel cpu or amd ryzen series laptop, it support ddr4 and pcie solid harddisk
Thanks but it's too late, i order Lenovo T550 and receive it.

Back