Steamuxulation redux

Interesting… I thought this would conflict with /usr/local/lib32/libGL.so.1 from Mesa, but I don't see it in the i386-wine-devel package.
Interesting indeed and for a second I thought I'd missed something, but it appears that there are no 32-bit libraries in the mesa package.
That's actually a deficiency I think, because as far as I see i386-wine won't work (for OpenGL that is) on non-Nvidia cards at the moment then.

OK, I have just downloaded and installed the latest version from your repo. After everything taking quite a while the first thing I realized was that my games library is empty. I could only access the game library with a right-click on the steam icon on my xfce-panel.
For the first time I could access the menu in counter strike global offensive, adjust my graphic settings to fullscreen and music would also play. Never got that far before. But when I wanted to select a random game, steam crashed during the loading process.

Same with TF2, menu works fine, but when trying to play an internet match, steam crashes. Not so with Brain Bread. That still works.
BTW, with what command/parameter can you make the steam-browser work? I remember you said something about that some time ago.

It's supposed to work by default.

No, it doesn't.

Meanwhile I made another attempt with CS Global Offensive: This time I managed to play a casual multiplayer game until the map finished. Was great. But during the loading of the next map (after the voting), steam crashed again. Maybe I have a memory issue when playing online? I have 4 GB of RAM and another 4 GB of swap, which should be enough? I am attaching the terminal output. And Merry Christmas!

Edit: Decided to try also Half Life 2 Deathmatch. Again crash when connecting to a server and downloading a map. With that game I do not think that there is a memory problem. That is output4.txt now.

Attachments

• output3.txt
    13.8 KB · Views: 298
  • output4.txt
    9.3 KB · Views: 303
I don't see the part where steamwebhelper actually starts…

Code:
STEAM_RUNTIME_HEAVY: ./steam-runtime-heavy

ls -lh ~/.steam/bin*/*.core?

Code:
../common/html/chrome_ipc_client.cpp (801) : Assertion Failed: !"Collided with existing master response stream"

:-/

Code:
../common/pipes.cpp (766) : CClientPipe::BWriteAndReadResult: BWaitResult failed, disconnected

That looks like the same CSGO issue, possibly from the game side this time. (I only LD_PRELOAD workarounds for the Steam client itself, since I don't want to accidentally trigger some anti-cheat protection.)

I created 2 steam accounts, so:

Code:
$ ls -lh /home/steam/.steam/bin*/*.core
ls: /home/steam/.steam/bin*/*.core: No such file or directory
$ ls -lh /home/steam2/.steam/bin*/*.core
ls: /home/steam2/.steam/bin*/*.core: No such file or directory
$

Your response yesterday was produced while I edited mine and also attached output4.txt from Half Life 2 Deatmatch. Have you seen that, too? Is it the the same issue as well, as it is probably too with TF2?

Have you seen that, too? Is it the the same issue as well, as it is probably too with TF2?

Same. Actually, both of your log files look suspiciously clean. I assume you redirected stdout with >. You need to use >& to redirect stdout and stderr.

Hey! Im running into problems when run.sh is invoked i dont know if i have messed up something in my path ... Any help is appreciated :) .

My setup:
0. Cloned latest into main user's home dir. make and doas make install went fine
1. created a FreeBSD Steam user with own home directory and bash as a shell (/usr/local/bin/bash)
2. su Steam
3. /opt/steam-utils/bin/steam-install went fine
but ...
Code:
[Steam@laptop ~]$ /opt/steam-utils/bin/steam         
/home/Steam/.steam/steam/ubuntu12_32/steam-runtime/run.sh: line 33: /dev/null: Permission denied
ERROR: ld.so: object 'steamfix.so' from LD_PRELOAD cannot be preloaded: ignored.
/opt/steam-utils/bin/../lxbin/patch-steam.rb: /home/Steam/.steam/steam/ubuntu12_32/chromehtml.so not found, nothing to patch
/opt/steam-utils/bin/../lxbin/patch-steam.rb: /home/Steam/.steam/steam/ubuntu12_64/steamwebhelper not found, nothing to patch
/opt/steam-utils/bin/../lxbin/patch-steam.rb: /home/Steam/.steam/steam/ubuntu12_64/steamwebhelper.sh not found, nothing to patch
ERROR: ld.so: object 'steamfix.so' from LD_PRELOAD cannot be preloaded: ignored.
Pins potentially out-of-date, rebuilding...
steam-runtime/setup.sh: line 12: /dev/null: Permission denied
[2019-12-29 12:34:26] Startup - updater built Apr  9 2019 22:48:20
ILocalize::AddFile() failed to load file "public/steambootstrapper_english.txt".
Installing breakpad exception handler for appid(steam)/version(0)
No protocol specified
../steamexe/updateui_xwin.cpp (339) : Assertion Failed: Could not open connection to X
../steamexe/updateui_xwin.cpp (339) : Assertion Failed: Could not open connection to X
sh: /usr/home/Steam/.steam/steam/steam_msg.sh: No such file or directory
Installing breakpad exception handler for appid(steam)/version(1.0)
ExceptionHandler::GenerateDump waitpid failed:ExceptionHandler::WaitForContinueSignal sys_read failed:No child processes
No minidump written, nothing to upload.
Bad file descriptor
../steamexe/main.cpp (754) : Assertion Failed: failed to initialize update status ui, or create initial window
../steamexe/main.cpp (754) : Assertion Failed: failed to initialize update status ui, or create initial window

That's a very weird error message. Did you play around with that other Steam-for-BSD project, by chance? ls -lh /compat/linux/dev?

Thanks for the response! Uhm no I did not play around with the Steam-for-BSD project. Been messing about with wine stuff these past few days but it's irrelevant to /compat/linux

ls -lh /compat/linux/dev?

Code:
total 0
-rw-r--r--  1 root  wheel     0B Dec  3 01:01 null
drwxrwxrwt  2 root  wheel     0B Dec 29 13:06 shm

also, the compat-specific in /etc/fstab :

Code:
#linux compat
linprocfs   /compat/linux/proc  linprocfs       rw      0       0
linsysfs    /compat/linux/sys   linsysfs        rw      0       0
tmpfs    /compat/linux/dev/shm  tmpfs   rw,mode=1777    0       0

I've deleted /compat/linux/dev/null . I still need to figure out why the two assertions are being triggered. For some reason, which ofc I am to blame for but I dont remeber what I've done , programs from /compat are not able to open X connections ...

Any recommended method to completely nuke what I may have tinkered in /compat/linux and start again with a clean compat ?
I was thinking to first uninstall all linux-c7* related packages, reboot without mounting compat filesystems as well as without the linux modules, delete everything that may be left behind in /compat/linux and then reboot with everything enabled again and reinstall the linux-c7

Ok great news! Running valley as Steam user reminded me that I had access control enabled for X connections.
For future reference to anyone you can check the output of xhost (this should apply if you've messed around with xauth).
Code:
user@laptop:~ % xhost
access control enabled, only authorized clients can connect

To allow user `Steam` to access the running X server do : xhost +SI:localuser:Steam.

On another note, unigine valley cannot seem to run on my machine because its failing to get whatever framebuffer configuration its asking. Theoretically my haswell iGPU should have all the available GL extensions needed, but alas...

As for steam, it core dumps after the updater finishes.. Anyways I will update if I find out why :) Thanks for the help so far @shkhln, much appreciated!

Installed it with its dependencies, makes no difference (even rebooted the machine). HL2 Deathmatch ans TF2 still crash when attempting multiplayer.

I think it's pretty clear from the quoted part that I'm referring to the embedded browser issue.

I think it's pretty clear from the quoted part that I'm referring to the embedded browser issue.

Well, then it didn't solve the issue either. Browser still black. Any special parameter needed here? ./steam -tcp -no-cef-sandbox does not seem to apply here like in wine.

Back