Setting it up for the 1st time. Issues

I've installed the version 12 on my Laptop Lenovo Carbon X1. All works.
Desktop - Xfce4

Questions:

1) the wifi icon is missing. No way to manage WiFi connections. I've installed "networkmgr" but nothing has changed. How to manage WiFi connections?

2) The menu item "shutdown" is disabled. When I shut it down via "sudo shutdown -r now", it shuts down, but not completely - the screen turns off, but the power button and some indicators on the keyboard keep having the green light on them, the same way when the laptop is on. Nothing happens. And I have to manually press it to shut it down completely. Why? How to fix it?

Hi,

Welcome to FreeBSD and the Forums.

1) the wifi icon is missing. No way to manage WiFi connections. I've installed "networkmgr" but nothing has changed. How to manage WiFi connections?

Make sure that your user is added to the wheel group.

2) The menu item "shutdown" is disabled. When I shut it down via "sudo shutdown -r now", it shuts down, but not completely

Check out this recent forum thread:

https://forums.freebsd.org/threads/xfce4-no-abiltiy-to-shutdown-and-reboot-that-went-away.72671/

And try 'sudo shutdown -p now' rather than '-r' (-p is for poweroff, -r is for reboot or restart).

Did you follow the onscreen instructions after you installed this?
It uses doas and it needs to be configured with a configuration file.
/usr/local/etc/doas.conf
Code:
permit nopass keepenv root
permit :wheel
permit nopass keepenv :wheel cmd netcardmgr
permit nopass keepenv :wheel cmd ifconfig
permit nopass keepenv :wheel cmd service

N/M - I missed a post, everything is covered, already.. doas,groups, create the rules for xfce4.

when you install doas in a terminal and it will give you that blur on what to add to the file.
I did the copy paste thing.
Code:
# cat /usr/local/etc/doas.conf
    permit nopass keepenv root
    permit :wheel 
    permit nopass keepenv :wheel cmd netcardmgr
    permit nopass keepenv :wheel cmd ifconfig
    permit nopass keepenv :wheel cmd service

Back