Xfce Xfce 4.14

Is there any information on when the newly released xfce 4.14 will be available in FreeBSD? The point release 12.1? Or do we have to wait for the FreeBSD13-RELEASE? Or, maybe the pkg will be updated when it’s ready? I have no clue. Coming from Arch, pkg availability in fbsd is kind of new to me. So, excuse me if this is a stupid question.

So what you will see is the 'head' or latest ports tree is updated roughly every 10 days.
From there the FreeBSD package building cluster builds all ports.
This takes roughly 3 days to build all packages.
Packages that fail to build on the cluster generate a report and send it to the mailing list named freebsd-pkg-fallout.
So out of 30,000+ ports you will see some breakage once and a while. Especially with Arm and other architectures.

I'm now running 4.14, and I've reset all my settings back to defaults to take advantage of the new theme etc. It's mostly working fine but for some reason the title bars of my windows are all black where they should be grey. Anyone else seeing this?

It's mostly working fine but for some reason the title bars of my windows are all black where they should be grey. Anyone else seeing this?

No, title bars all work properly, but the greybird theme is a little unexciting. Only minor cosmetic bug, the default icon theme does not appear to have an icon for restart within the action button.

I'm now running 4.14, and I've reset all my settings back to defaults to take advantage of the new theme etc. It's mostly working fine but for some reason the title bars of my windows are all black where they should be grey. Anyone else seeing this?

Which version of FreeBSD? And are you using X.org driver or DRM kernel module?

Thanks. It's not a show stopper, it's just slightly ugly looking. But as long as it's known about I'm happy to wait for a fix. I spent quite a long time trying to change the theme colours and stuff to no avail. Looks like it could be related to the drm modesetting driver.

From reading that history it looks like they've added this https://reviews.freebsd.org/D21526 to potentially help with issues that this mentions, https://forum.xfce.org/viewtopic.php?id=13233

Workaround pointed to the Xfce's forum is specific to linux. On FreeBSD both backends are enabled (default is glx, OpenGL backend, and if it fails it is xpresent, X11 backend). So no need to force one of them.
I have no feedback if compositor is fully functional, not only shadows (for me Alt+zoom effect crashes xfwm4, with previous stable release it was functional).

If the desktop seems ugly with DRM kernel modules, you can try Xorg drivers for the moment (at least with -RELEASE).

Just FYI, it also seems to affect parts of the desktop.

There's no more live-updating when turning anti-aliasing on and off. And in the Window Manager settings if you change the Button Layout, the buttons disappear when you move them (in the settings window only).

I'm using 12.0-RELEASE with the i915 KMS module and my xorg conf was previously completely empty. This worked fine with the previous version of xfce but causes the black title bars with the new version.

I have solved the problem (temporarily) with the suggestions above. I've installed x11-drivers/xf86-video-intel and then created /usr/local/etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/drivers-intel.conf with this in it. Now xfce looks totally normal.

Code:
Section "Device"
    Identifier    "Card0"
    Driver        "intel"
    # BusID        "PCI:1:0:0"
EndSection

I just upgraded to xfce 4.14, and I am having the "black bar in the window title" problem. This is with 12.0p10 RELEASE, and with the radeonkms.ko driver module. My window manager also misbehaves as in
Just FYI, it also seems to affect parts of the desktop.

There's no more live-updating when turning anti-aliasing on and off. And in the Window Manager settings if you change the Button Layout, the buttons disappear when you move them (in the settings window only).

I've also tried the xfwm fix suggested here,
Thanks. It's not a show stopper, it's just slightly ugly looking. But as long as it's known about I'm happy to wait for a fix. I spent quite a long time trying to change the theme colours and stuff to no avail. Looks like it could be related to the drm modesetting driver.

From reading that history it looks like they've added this https://reviews.freebsd.org/D21526 to potentially help with issues that this mentions, https://forum.xfce.org/viewtopic.php?id=13233

but to no avail. Anybody have any ideas?

have you tried deleteing the configs in your home then log out and in again. you know the ones in .config/xfce(4) and anything xfce in your home hidden or not. or just change the name of them all. this way it creates new ones curtailed to the newer version of xfce.

have you tried deleteing the configs in your home then log out and in again. you know the ones in .config/xfce(4) and anything xfce in your home hidden or not. or just change the name of them all. this way it creates new ones curtailed to the newer version of xfce.
Yes, that was the first thing I did. Then I started xfce with its default configuration, but that already showed the "black bar" problem.
And it also had the button layout problem in the window manager. (And I haven't mentioned that 4.14 also doesn't understand some of the keys of my Sun Unix-style keyboard, which xfce 4.12 understood.)

Back