Network interface not showing

Hello,

This is my first post here, so thanks for your patience.
I have two network PCI cards (named re0 and rl0), and some days ago re0 just disappeared after a reboot. I've been searching deeply but I'm just stuck with this.

The kernel seems to load it as seen in dmesg:
Code:
# dmesg | grep re0
re0: <RealTek 8168/8111 B/C/CP/D/DP/E/F/G PCIe Gigabit Ethernet> port 0xe800-0xe8ff mem 0xfdfff000-0xfdffffff,0xfdff8000-0xfdffbfff irq 16 at device 0.0 on pci3
re0: Using 1 MSI-X message
re0: Chip rev. 0x2c000000
re0: MAC rev. 0x00200000
miibus1: <MII bus> on re0
re0: Using defaults for TSO: 65518/35/2048
re0: Ethernet address: 90:fb:a6:e2:23:29
re0: link state changed to DOWN

And it also shows as pci device:
Code:
# pciconf -lv
[...]
rl0@pci0:2:5:0:    class=0x020000 card=0x813910ec chip=0x813910ec rev=0x10 hdr=0x00
    vendor     = 'Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd.'
    device     = 'RTL-8100/8101L/8139 PCI Fast Ethernet Adapter'
    class      = network
    subclass   = ethernet
re0@pci0:3:0:0:    class=0x020000 card=0x80001025 chip=0x816810ec rev=0x06 hdr=0x00
    vendor     = 'Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd.'
    device     = 'RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet Controller'
    class      = network
    subclass   = ethernet

But it does not appear in ifconfig:
Code:
# ifconfig
rl0: flags=8843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> metric 0 mtu 1500
    options=2008<VLAN_MTU,WOL_MAGIC>
    ether 00:e0:4c:41:0b:13
    hwaddr 00:e0:4c:41:0b:13
    inet 192.168.1.2 netmask 0xffffff00 broadcast 192.168.1.255
    inet 192.168.1.3 netmask 0xffffff00 broadcast 192.168.1.255
    nd6 options=9<PERFORMNUD,IFDISABLED>
    media: Ethernet autoselect (100baseTX <full-duplex>)
lo0: flags=8049<UP,LOOPBACK,RUNNING,MULTICAST> metric 0 mtu 16384
    options=600003<RXCSUM,TXCSUM,RXCSUM_IPV6,TXCSUM_IPV6>
    inet6 ::1 prefixlen 128
    inet6 fe80::1%lo0 prefixlen 64 scopeid 0x3
    inet 127.0.0.1 netmask 0xff000000
    nd6 options=21<PERFORMNUD,AUTO_LINKLOCAL>
    groups: lo
bridge0: flags=8802<BROADCAST,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> metric 0 mtu 1500
    ether 02:9f:d6:5f:89:00
    nd6 options=1<PERFORMNUD>
    groups: bridge
    id 00:00:00:00:00:00 priority 32768 hellotime 2 fwddelay 15
    maxage 20 holdcnt 6 proto rstp maxaddr 2000 timeout 1200
    root id 00:00:00:00:00:00 priority 0 ifcost 0 port 0

I've been reading about how network works in FreeBSD, and I've seen in the docs (11.5. Setting Up Network Interface Cards) that devices are named according to the drivers, but I can't find drivers such as re or rl anywhere. Nothing like that shows in kldstat, and I can't find any resembling name in /boot/kernel.

Any clue or reference about how can I get my interface visible again? I'd be more interesting about learning how this driver thing works than actually fixing it, thoug it'd be nice too haha.

Thanks!

Disabled in the BIOS/UEFI perhaps? Or it could be the card just decided to die. Does it show up with pciconf -lv?

Open the case and physically touch the big chip on the card, did you burn your finger? Then the card is dead, kaput, broken.

Both re(4) and rl(4) are built-in with the GENERIC kernel. So there's no need to load them.

What version of FreeBSD?

Ok, thanks for that info, I was just guessing that but I wasn't sure.
I'm running 11.2-STABLE.

Just to clarify, all interfaces work correctly from a live iso (just checked again). I did some configuration with VNET in a jail, though I don't know if that could affect to this.

Did you create a custom kernel perhaps? And, can you post your rc.conf?

I'm running 11.2-STABLE.
Not related to the problem, is there a particular reason you are running 11.2-STABLE, or is it a typo? 11.2-STABLE is not even available as snapshot anymore.

Also FreeBSD-STABLE is a development branch. It should run at all times, but it's not guaranteed. It is not recommanded for end-users, unless you are willing to carry out testing the system. You would have with a recent FreeBSD-RELEASE a production stable platform.

just to clarify, all interfaces work correctly from a live iso
Which iso image?

Nothing wrong with a -STABLE version. I've been running every version since 3.0-STABLE all the way up to 12-STABLE now.

Not related to the problem, is there a particular reason you are running 11.2-STABLE, or is it a typo? 11.2-STABLE is not even available as snapshot anymore.
Sorry if I should have mentioned this earlier. I'm using an out-of-the-box FreeNAS, but I don't really care about that platform; I', only using it as a start to learn about ZFS, jails and FreeBSD in general. This thread, I believe, is purely about FreeBSD and how network devices and the kernel works, which is my only concern, so that's why even aftrer reading the forum rules I think this is the pertinent place to make my question. But please, let me know if you think otherwise.
And no, it's not a typo, uname -r says 11.2-STABLE.

Which iso image?
archlinux-2019.06.01-x86_64.iso

Did you create a custom kernel perhaps? And, can you post your rc.conf?
I don't feel confident enough to say if my installation has a custom kernel. Is there any command that could tell me that? The missing network interface worked before and I'm sure I didn't build a new kernel afterwards.

My rc.conf:
Code:
#!/bin/sh

# This file is explicitly in the public domain.  You may do with it
# anything you like.

# Fallback settings for FreeNAS.  This file is read in first and is
# then overidden by the values in the database.

# XXX need to clean this up

hostname="dante"
openssh_enable="YES"

sendmail_enable="NONE"    # Run the sendmail inbound daemon (YES/NO).

background_fsck="NO"
fsck_y_enable="YES"

synchronous_dhclient="YES"    # Start dhclient directly on configured

ntpd_enable="YES"
ntpd_sync_on_start="YES"

# open-vm-tools
vmware_guest_vmblock_enable="YES"
vmware_guest_vmhgfs_enable="YES"
vmware_guest_vmmemctl_enable="YES"

devfs_system_ruleset="usbrules"

# System's run from memory disks.
clear_tmp_X="NO"

# Do not mark to autodetach otherwise ZFS gets very unhappy.
geli_autodetach="NO"

# We set dumpdev and run savecore in middleware.  The savecore rc script
# just errors out by the time it runs, and setting dumpdev to AUTO causes
# the dump device to be changed from the one we actually wanted to use.
savecore_enable="NO"
dumpdev="NO"
dumpdir="/data/crash"
ix_textdump_enable="YES"

# A set of storage supporting kernel modules, they must be loaded before ix-fstab.
early_kld_list="geom_mirror geom_multipath"

# A set of kernel modules that can be loaded after mounting local filesystems.
kld_list="dtraceall hwpmc t3_tom t4_tom"

dbus_enable="YES"
mdnsd_enable="YES"

# Turbo boost
performance_cpu_freq="HIGH"

# Add our rc.d scripts to load path
local_startup="/etc/ix.rc.d /usr/local/etc/rc.d"

# Make sure ix scripts run early enough
early_late_divider="*"

# ZFS
root_rw_mount="YES"

# syslog-ng
syslogd_enable="NO"
# Silence syslogd about missing files
# syslogd_flags="-s -C"
syslog_ng_enable="YES"

nginx_enable="YES"
nginx_login_class="nginx"

# Do not log DEVD events below LOG_NOTICE
devd_flags="-q"

# /var is a tmpfs, there is no need to clean it every boot
cleanvar_enable="NO"

# Skip check against sshd
openssh_skipportscheck="YES"

inadyn_flags="--continue-on-error"

I presume you have copied the FreeNAS rc.conf to the 11.2 installation. I dont see any network ifconfig configuration. Have you saved the original rc.conf file ? I suggest you put the original in place and copy the settings you wish from the FreeNAS rc.conf. You could also run bsdconfig to configure the nic's.
...but I can't find drivers such as re or rl anywhere. Nothing like that shows in kldstat
If you run kldstat -v you will see the drivers.

Nothing wrong with a -STABLE version. I've been running every version since 3.0-STABLE all the way up to 12-STABLE now.
I see. I have the impression OP sgz is new to FreeBSD, using STABLE might be more learn intensive then a RELEASE, e.x. updating the system.

I suggest you put the original in place and copy the settings you wish from the FreeNAS rc.conf. You could also run bsdconfig to configure the nic's.

Thanks! Those commands were useful for me to understand things a little better. I will try restoring rc.conf and perhaps I will try a clean FreeBSD RELEASE install now that I'm a little more familiar with the OS.

And thank you SirDice for your patience.

I am having a very similar problem on a small form-factor machine. I've had it for years, and FreeBSD 12.1-RELEASE is the first FreeBSD release under which I've gotten it to boot.

I installed 12.1-RELEASE a few days ago, and found the system boots nominally. However, I wasn't able to configure the NICs at install, and neither of them are brought up at boot. As in the OP's case, /var/run/dmesg.boot clearly shows that my two NICs are being identified at boot, and pciconf shows both devices. One is the onboard RealTek gigabit ethernet card, shown as re0, and the other is a one-NIC Intel gigabit ethernet PCI expansion card, shown as em0. (I'd share output, but I'm having to work off of another machine!). When I try raising both interfaces in bsdconfig, I'm given the message "No network interfaces detected."

I've been struggling to find documentation that helps me troubleshoot this problem. Can I trouble someone to point me to the next hop, or can sgz post the solution he/she found?

Thank you!

Hi!
I stucked with similar problem after upgrade from FreeBSD 9.3 to 10.0.
I was found simple solution in some bsd-forum. I did forgot to make "freebsd-update install" after reboot. May be it will help you too!

Back